Windows 10 [2018]

Pin to Start not Taskbar.
It gives you an icon not dissimilar to what you get from Quicklaunch but attached to the Start menu, just as quick to access & launch as Quicklaunch.

I have them in Quick Launch so that I don't have to have those specific applications in the Start menu. :)

Regards,
SB

well you do have to click twice to launch the program while for quicklauch or pin to taskbar, you start the program with 1 click so it's 100% worse
Oh you have it set with the icons all showing, text/titles disabled?
I always used Quicklaunch with the icons hidden in the fly-out so Pin to Start is same number of clicks but without taking up any Taskbar real-estate.

Oh you have it set with the icons all showing, text/titles disabled?
I always used Quicklaunch with the icons hidden in the fly-out so Pin to Start is same number of clicks but without taking up any Taskbar real-estate.
yes also they are small so they take up 2 spots from running programs, I have 12 icons there now but I saw now that I dont use all thes eprograms anymore.

Microsoft extends plot to hide Windows 10 Local Accounts setup to rest of the world
February 20, 2020
We reported in September last year that Microsoft was trying to force Windows 10 users into setting up their PCs using Microsoft Accounts by hiding the already small option to use a local account. At the time the “feature” was confined to USA, but now WindowsUnited reports that the missing Local Account option has also extended to Germany.
skip-this-step.jpg

Windows 10 users are still able to trick Windows into offering the option by unplugging their device from the internet during Setup, for example pressing the Flight Mode button and reloading the option page. Even then Microsoft works to steer users away from Local Accounts.

If you don’t mind giving Microsoft the power to erase your PC, an online account, of course, has its advantages, such as being able to reset your password from the cloud.

A local account has other advantages over a Microsoft account, however, such as increased privacy and not being tied to an online identity which itself can be hacked.
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-extends-plot-to-hide-windows-10-local-accounts-setup-to-rest-of-the-world/

Microsoft will support hardware-accelerated AV1 codec in latest Windows 10 systems
Now, Microsoft has stated that with the next generation of hardware being made available shortly, it will also begin supporting AV1 on Windows 10 devices.
AV1 offers 50% better compression than H.264 and 20% better than VP9. Microsoft also states that since AV1 is hardware-accelerated rather than being dependent upon software, it also reduces battery usage on mobile devices.

As such, the company will be rolling out support for AV1 on new Windows 10 devices with the latest GPUs this fall. The requirements for this new codec are as follows:
  • One of these new GPUs or CPUs:
    • 11th Gen Intel Core processors with Intel Iris Xe Graphics
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs
    • AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Series Graphics (coming soon)
  • Windows 10 build 1909 or later
  • The AV1 Video Extension
  • A web browser or other application with hardware acceleration support for AV1, including apps built on top of Media Foundation
  • As is common with new features like this, you may need to update your graphics driver from time to time to get the latest features and improvements.
https://www.neowin.net/news/microso...erated-av1-codec-in-latest-windows-10-systems

So many codecs, so little memory...

How does AV1 compare with H.265 (HVEC) or the recently finalized H.266 (VVC)? From quick reads it seems AV1 is more efficient than H.265/HVEC. So this is good that its gaining support, where as not much has been using H.265 while I see a lot of H.264 videos.

I wonder if they sorted out the license dispute yet.

A search show https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/h266-av1-evc-three-new-video-codecs-fully-explained/

AV1 reportedly offers an average of 30% savings in bandwidth over HEVC — but potentially as much as 40%.

Why would we need AV1 if VVC is more efficient? Well, one big reason is money. AV1 is royalty-free, which means anyone is free to use it without paying a dime. VVC, on the other hand, requires a paid license.

Netflix has already started to use AV1 in a limited capacity when streaming to Android devices

Sisvel, an entity that owns or holds the rights to many technology patents, claims that AV1 is not royalty-free and has set up a site that sells AV1 licenses. The argument is that AV1 was built on top of some of Sisvel’s intellectual property (IP) — as well as the IP of other companies that have joined with Sisvel — and therefore cannot be free from licensing fees.​

Maybe Sisvel should start to sue AV1 users. The courts will have to decide if they actually own any relevant patents.

Maybe Sisvel should start to sue AV1 users. The courts will have to decide if they actually own any relevant patents.

Much like MPG, DTS, Dolby, DVD, BluRay, etc. you license products being sold or distributed to consumers, not the consumers themselves. In most cases, it isn't a consumer that is violating patent laws WRT to these types of things but the manufacturers or producers of products containing these things.

There are, of course, always examples where that doesn't apply and licenses are sold directly to consumers. For example, when Microsoft switched to a model of charging people to enable DVD playback directly through Windows versus paying for the license for all users of Windows regardless of whether a user ever used the built in DVD playback capabilities of Windows.

However, even then it isn't exactly a user paying for a license. Microsoft is still paying for the license, but users are paying Microsoft to enable it at which point MS then pays to license it for that user's copy of Windows.

The same applies for how MS approaches Dolby Atmos for Headphones on Windows. Rather than paying the license for all users of Windows, they instead only pay the license for users that explicitly say they want to use it via purchasing the capability to enable it's use on their copy of Windows.

Regards,
SB

The whole point of AV1 is that you do not have to pay to license any patents. If Sisvel will want any money they will have to go through the courts.

after today i rebooted my windows 10 due to a new update, it become like this

so weird. it 100% reproducible simply by rebooting.

It would be slightly difficult for Sisvels' lawyers to explain to the courts why they do not sue the biggest users of AV1 (Netflix and Youtube) and instead sue really small companies instead.

The point is not to sue, you target them because you expect them to settle, having companies licensing your ip gives you an air of legitimacy when you go after bigger fish

Back