Live Real-Time Ads Within Games Poll

Would live 'real-time' advertisements in games bother you?

• Yes.

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • No.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Indifferent.

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
Would live real-time advertisement (e.g., food, drinks, cars, travel, etc.) in games bother you? Let’s say live real-time ads on billboards or banners within modern cityscapes of open-world games (e.g., GTA, Watch_Dogs, Mafia, etc.), or random newspapers, magazines, books and/or other reading materials that contain different live-ads whenever you enter the game, or leave/return to certain areas.

Personally I wouldn’t mind it... if it's properly integrated within the right context and meant covering the skyrocketing cost of developing games, especially triple-A titles. However, I could see companies like EA abusing such live-ad integrations. *shivers*

i though all those ads in fifa games were live ads hahaha.

btw as long as the live ads is properly designed for the enjoyment of the players, instead of maximum profit, engagements, eyeballs, etc for the advertisers, i have no isse.

I remember this was a thing with one of the Splinter Cell games where there would be ads on various computer monitors.

I don’t think I would mind it for contemporary, “real world” scenarios. Clearly there would be a difference between having adverts in Watch Dogs versus Assassin’s Creed. :p

Crates of Mountain Dew in Halo would be cute if done right (not too flashy, more Easter Egg). :runaway:

This might be a semantics argument but product placement is acceptable (or ignorable depending on point of view) depending on the circumstance as they are passive. I would not want "active" advertisements however.

In terms of what the distinction might be let's just use a hypothetical GTA game as an example. If you drive by a see a Coca Cola billboard I would classify that as product placement. If you were to be forced to sit through a Coca Cola commercial when you go to watch TV I would classify that as an advertisement.

As an aside loading splash screens currently which end up padding startup times I consider active advertisements and already dislike those.

It depends. Ads in games where you would expect to see promotional material, like billboards around a racetrack, sporting arena, or naturally slotted into an open world game, would not bother me. They could do this quite creatively, e.g. in Horizon Zero Dawn have old, dilapidated and faded Coca-Cola ads.

Personally I wouldn’t mind it... if it's properly integrated within the right context and meant covering the skyrocketing cost of developing games, especially triple-A titles. However, I could see companies like EA abusing such live-ad integrations. *shivers*
EA already abuse live-ad integrations into their games, adding them to titles that never had ads before. Also you shouldn't consider ads in AAA games a means of cost-reduction, that's not how it works. They're a means of profit maximization for executives and investors. These big publishers aren't about to reduce game prices, reduce MTX integrations or prices or other consumer-friendly actions from placing advertising in games.

product placement can be non-intrusive, but I'd consider GTA one of the BEST exemples of where they would hurt. Even if they take place in a contemporary setting and are filled with billboards and radio ads already, the fact that they are all outragious caricatures of actual ads is a central part of the satirical personality of these games worlds and one of my favorite parts of them. I'd be really dissapointed if I popped a GTA in and instead of some snarky Pisswasser ad I was treated to a non-ironic Budweiser promo. It would take away a lot of the charm.

Last edited:
This seems apropos for the topic at hand. However, it's done before the game loads.

https://stevivor.com/news/nba-2k21-inserts-unskippable-ads-pre-game-loading-screens/

NBA 2K21 inserts unskippable ads into pre-game loading screens

2K has added unskippable ads into NBA 2K21 pre-game loading screens, Stevivor has today confirmed.

Acting on a tip from a reader, we’ve sighted — and recorded — ads for the Oculus Quest 2 that now appear inside the PS4, Xbox One and Windows PC versions of the game. They’re unskippable, attached to a pre-game video called “MyTEAM Season 2, Episode 7” that’s auto-started in a loading screen that takes longer than the ad runs (even on a PC running from an SSD).

As you can see above (Xbox One at top, PS4 at bottom), the ad runs in full on before a user can hit a button to continue. While we’ve not recorded the experience on PC, we’ve sighted that the experience is the same.

I am against any advertisements or product placement in games bar maybe something like sports games if the advertisements are in exactly the same places as they would be in the stadium.

I'm already paying for the game so I don't want any commercials. For those that are OK with product placement, keep in mind that games WILL be designed around the product placement. Just look at the many movies and dramas that have product placement and its very obvious you get shots of computers, phones, cars etc. that would never be there if it wasn't for product placement. Product placement is worse than commercials because you're basically looking at a commercial without it being it being obvious.

This seems apropos for the topic at hand. However, it's done before the game loads.

https://stevivor.com/news/nba-2k21-inserts-unskippable-ads-pre-game-loading-screens/

NBA 2K21 inserts unskippable ads into pre-game loading screens

2K has added unskippable ads into NBA 2K21 pre-game loading screens, Stevivor has today confirmed.

Acting on a tip from a reader, we’ve sighted — and recorded — ads for the Oculus Quest 2 that now appear inside the PS4, Xbox One and Windows PC versions of the game. They’re unskippable, attached to a pre-game video called “MyTEAM Season 2, Episode 7” that’s auto-started in a loading screen that takes longer than the ad runs (even on a PC running from an SSD).

As you can see above (Xbox One at top, PS4 at bottom), the ad runs in full on before a user can hit a button to continue. While we’ve not recorded the experience on PC, we’ve sighted that the experience is the same.

Definitely not the real-time ads integration that I was thinking of and/or wanted. Yuck...

the NBA thing would piss me off

However if I'm playing say COD set in WW2 and while I"m tearing through nazis there is an era appropriate coke machine advertising coke... i don't care. If I'm in cyberpunk and there is a futuristic pepsi add then no i don't care.

As long as its integrates into the story well then i don't care one bit.

I think of it like Back to the future. The ads actually helped make the world feel more realstic

You had

Pepsi

or Jaws 19

But yea if they stopped the movie to play a random add i would be pissed

Back