Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I do not understand why we get new games, we should just get consoles and play our old games, ohh wait thats a PC :D

Next gen games land on pc too (godfall, stagmata, dirt, quantum error etc), yes you can install and try to play on a 2009 pc but youd need something similar to consoles if you want the next gen experience.

I'd argue that 60fps (vs 30fps) is more than cosmetic. It improves immersion, responsiveness and gameplay which can be very important in some games, like MGS5 on PS3 vs PS4. For me MGS5 was a much better game on PS4. I agree that it won't improve a bad story. :nope:

But is still the same game and most people would probably not notice it enough to actually be able to articulate that there was a difference. Which is my point, its the same with a lot of stuff that you can measure improvements, but they are not really tangible for most people.

Next gen games land on pc too (godfall, stagmata, dirt, quantum error etc), yes you can install and try to play on a 2009 pc but youd need something similar to consoles if you want the next gen experience.
My point was that people keep talking about BC as the end all of importance and I tried to be funny, by saying, no need for new games ever, we will just play our old games on better hardware, since that is the most important thing.

My point was that people keep talking about BC as the end all of importance and I tried to be funny, by saying, no need for new games ever, we will just play our old games on better hardware, since that is the most important thing.
You are probably sarcastic but I know some people that will buy the PS5 only because they can play some Sony games at 60fps. But admitely you need some great games in the first place, like God of War, Spiderman or Ghost of Tsushima.

Does anyone think there could be a problem with the PS5 not getting enough ventilation when laying down horizontally, being the way the fan works to remove hot air? Hard to believe its engineers would overlook this potential issue, right?
I don't see the elements of the console's cooling operating with an significant difference in either orientation. In pictures, the vertical orientation would seem to give the console the most "breathing room", but the margins provided by the stand and panels around the air intake and exhaust ports seem sufficient. It would take something obstructing the airflow much closer to the vents to noticeably constrain airflow, since air is very free flowing. Dust could be a somewhat greater concern if the console is horizontal in a dusty area with frequent disturbance, whereas it may be possible in that scenario that vertical positioning could somewhat reduce the chance of debris lingering close enough to the intakes for as long.

Since the PS5 is committing to an airflow pattern where that isn't a straight line through the console, it's a change in direction that occurs regardless of orientation. The Series X in theory can give a more straight-line flow pattern for passive air-flow convection but it's densely packed. The physical force of convective air flow is much smaller than low RPM fan operation, at least for reasonable operating temperatures.
However, unless we see a more clear targeting of a very low-power non-suspend state I think both consoles are in a range where convection is insufficient. Usually, a case with more open space and more heatsink mass and volume is necessary for more modest systems, and the consoles pack a significant amount of power into these enclosures. Even if the SOC can go passive in a low-power mode, there may be some question as to whether other components like the power supply are designed to have little to no active airflow.

Hi, I'm French so my language is not perfect. I pre-ordered my PS5 (among the first ones so I'll certainly get it day one), but my question is... which SSD should I get? Honestly I'm waiting for confirmation from Sony, but it's better to take (in 1 Tb) a Samsung 980 Pro or SN850 WD ?

The SN850 goes with the heatsink in the console slot ? Is it really useful in games ? Because on their site they say that the version with heatsink is intended for PC ...

Thanks

Hi, I'm French so my language is not perfect. I pre-ordered my PS5 (among the first ones so I'll certainly get it day one), but my question is... which SSD should I get? Honestly I'm waiting for confirmation from Sony, but it's better to take (in 1 Tb) a Samsung 980 Pro or SN850 WD ?

The SN850 goes with the heatsink in the console slot ? Is it really useful in games ? Because on their site they say that the version with heatsink is intended for PC ...

Thanks
Your better off waiting for Sonys validated list.

I think Cerny said they hoped to have one ready by end of year. Not long, considering it comes out Nov.

Sony would probably need to confirm what specific products work for the PS5 physically or functionally, and since it's pre-release there's no public resource that we'd have to answer that question.
I'm curious if post-launch we'll start seeing attempts at analyzing the PS5's drive performance across various SSDs, and whether there are teething problems with a new console or some drives considered significantly less optimal even with Sony's blessing.

In contradiction to how passive cooling works maybe but I'm not sure that's relevant to this forced air scenario, the temps involved aren't high enough for the density differences to impede airflow much and the long term benefits from being that bit higher off the ground for dust accumulation probably won out. It's hard to see this design as a dedicated horizontal unit for me due to it's shape, it just looks like an awkward bugger to balance anything on even without the "wings" but that may also be deliberate to discourage stacking it in a media centre either anyway.

It wouldn’t have the goofy shape. All the dev kits were horizontal. No one blows heat down, every cooling system draws lower cooler air and shoots it high. It’s antithetical to basic facts about heat

If rumors are to be believed, they’ve overclocked the hell out of it because they thought XSX was going tobe 9TF. Allegedly it also idles ten degrees hotter than XSX. All of this would explain a lot if it turns out to be accurate.

Sony made the same mistake with PS3, rounding it because someone there thinks it looks cool. Consumers rejected it

My only statement is that it feels a large number of radical changes were made very late in the process. I’ll bet you that the slim version has both a vapor chamber as well as a vertically aligned cooling system

I’ll bet you that the slim version has both a vapor chamber as well as a vertically aligned cooling system

I'm going to completely gloss over all your other statements to get to one that can actually be discussed.

When do you expect said "Slim Edition" to release to the consumer market?

Ehhh. That average will be significantly dwarfed this coming generation. With BC working from launch day the majority of people will be playing BC while waiting for titles to show up. Whereas with XBO BC and a small number of titles arrived 2 years after launch.
Yeah, gaming on consoles has changed dramatically and things like online progress (eg fortnite) is essential and a new way of playing really...that was just starting last gen change. But essentially BC has always been nice to help the transition rather than anything else (for me anyway). Sure there are the odd games I’d like to replay but...

I'd say that if you want the biggest leap possible this launch period go for the PS5 with demon souls.

I’d rather play this than the old version in BC mode.

It wouldn’t have the goofy shape. All the dev kits were horizontal. No one blows heat down, every cooling system draws lower cooler air and shoots it high. It’s antithetical to basic facts about heat
Convection does happen, but the various applications for various consoles shows a limited regard for it when it comes to active cooling.
Sony seems to generally rely on blowers versus Microsoft's axial, but discounting the more unconventional layout of the Series X, it seems they generally are agnostic about which way warm air rises.
Axial fans blowing into a heatsink forces air in all directions, so air tends to go anywhere but up.
At least with the PS4 and perhaps the PS3, the blower direction seemed more concerned with getting the chips and the power supply, which was mostly perpendicular to slightly angled upward in the vertical axis.

The PS5's PSU looks to be on the lower end if standing vertically, so the overall direction seems to be align with that.

I'm not an expert on warm air convection or fanless enclosures, but the air flow created by convection is very modest. It's far below what fans are capable of and very insufficient for this class of device, and they tend to be more tightly packed with components in the way of convective flow.

Allegedly it also idles ten degrees hotter than XSX. All of this would explain a lot if it turns out to be accurate.
Unverified at this time, but also not necessarily a sign of overheating, particularly at idle. Idle temp can also be a choice, perhaps a tradeoff for noise or fan curve behavior. None of the temps seem out of line with routine PC idle temps.

If rumors are to be believed, they’ve overclocked the hell out of it because they thought XSX was going tobe 9TF. Allegedly it also idles ten degrees hotter than XSX. All of this would explain a lot if it turns out to be accurate.

Sony made the same mistake with PS3, rounding it because someone there thinks it looks cool. Consumers rejected it

My only statement is that it feels a large number of radical changes were made very late in the process. I’ll bet you that the slim version has both a vapor chamber as well as a vertically aligned cooling system
OK, I'll bite as you have tickled my interest. Rumours are not to be believed. Sony are not stupid. Since the announcement of XBX in 2016, they knew MS would most probably go for 12tf. What they did on PS5 required years of planning (they already confirmed more than 2 years for the liquid cooling tech).

But looking at the fan arrangement doesn't it mean that it will pull air in from one side, push it through the heat sink etc and then be expelling the air from the other side. So standing vertically it will be slightly more efficient than horizontally.

Does anyone think there could be a problem with the PS5 not getting enough ventilation when laying down horizontally, being the way the fan works to remove hot air? Hard to believe its engineers would overlook this potential issue, right?

I don't see the issue specially if you use the provided stand in terms of ventilation.

You have "spacers" on the front vent and side/top vent where if you chuck the ps5 on a tight space it still has those gaps for air.

The front vents are relatively large too.

I'm not exactly knowledgeable on new chips but had 80-90 degree chips running for years at least 7 ears, stock coolers with no problem except the GPU was noisy.

If it's something like 30 degrees on series X and 40 degrees on PS5, idle, and both are within spec and maybe not even running fans at that point so the systems are quiet, I am okay with it.

Using a vapor chamber might've also been a cost factor rather than size.

Maybe it's optimal to place it horizontal but can also work vertically. Would be hotter vertically but won't affect system performance.

It blows the air down in direct contradiction to how hot air behaves. I feel it has always been a horizontal console that got too large for most tables. If you look at the cooling in that orientation, it makes a lot of sense.
Yes this is strange but sure it works... can't be differently. I only see trouble with dust ... but as I know there are special place where it accumulates into ps5 and thoose places can be -quite easily- cleaned. Will see with time how ps5 behaves. I'm not convinced by the high clocks... so I'll wait for the next node release. Also RT performances of both XSX and specially PS5 looks not so great... so RT improvements will be probably the selling reasons of the midgen refreshes for both.

Back