Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kena Bridge of the spirit is a multiplatform games, only temporarily exclusive to PS4 and PS5 and it load from the OS in 2 seconds. Mark Cerny explained it the SSD is usable using an API when people will have optimised I/O, it will be transparent and goes as fast in loading as first party games. He explained it into Road to PS5, the CPU only ask for a n uncompressed file and wait the asychronous PS5 SSD I/O to do the dirty work. Charles Bloom from RAD tools games explain it too, no involvement of the CPU when everything is optimized. Insomniac games was the engine choose to do the R&D on the PS5 SSD. This is the reason it is so fast. The multiplatform optimization for SSD will help too third party to reach first party speed in loading.

https://cbloomrants.blogspot.com/2020/09/how-oodle-kraken-and-oodle-texture.html

Streaming optimised around PS5 SSD will only be available in first party games.

That's the key. Will the vast majority of third-party developers optimize their titles towards these SSD/IO advantages? Or, simply rely upon the general performance of the SSD.

Is he sure? Because Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War for PS5/XBSX is reportedly to have RT ready for the systems.

https://www.gamesradar.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-ps5-xbox-series-x-next-gen-features/
In a press release accompanying the reveal, the publisher confirmed that the next entry in the Call of Duty franchise (and the first to launch on the new consoles later this year) will run at 4K with High Dynamic Range on PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X, alongside 120Hz support and ray-tracing technology.

That's the key. Will the vast majority of third-party developers optimize their titles towards these SSD/IO advantages? Or, simply rely upon the general performance of the SSD.

Is he sure? Because Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War for PS5/XBSX is reportedly to have RT ready for the systems.

https://www.gamesradar.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-ps5-xbox-series-x-next-gen-features/

I suppose year two/year three of next-generation, third party will have optimized I/O for SSD. Probably only use it for loading and limiting themselve to slower disk maybe SATA SSD for streaming.

If NBA 2K1 and Avengers have done some optimization for loading faster on PS5, I suppose everyone will do the effort and loading times will decrease during the first three years of the generation.

EDIT:

In the video, Thomas plays a countdown of just two seconds before saying “That’s the total time it will take to load NBA 2K21 on the PS5”.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/06/22/marvels-avengers-confirmed-as-free-upgrade-to-ps5/

Last edited:

I haven't kept up with XBS development environments, but aren't the GDK's a more general development environment for WIN/DX based platforms (i.e., PC, Surface, XBSX, XBSS, etc.)? If so, that would explain why earlier footage (e.g., Halo Infinite, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice 2, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, etc.) that was initially believed to be running on XBSX hardware, was actually running on PC hardware representative of XBSX specs.

That being said, if the GDK development environments between the PC and XBSX/S are virtually same and the stand-in PC hardware representative of XBSX/S hardware... this still doesn't explain the lack of first-party launch titles or the supposed lack of RT. If these games were running on representative hardware, then scaling up or down between WIN/DX platforms should be quite easy as Phil stated. Or, are there other complexities between these platforms making scaling (up / down) not so trivial?

I haven't kept up with XBS development environments, but aren't the GDK's a more general development environment for WIN/DX based platforms (i.e., PC, Surface, XBSX, XBSS, etc.)? If so, that would explain why earlier footage (e.g., Halo Infinite, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice 2, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, etc.) that was initially believed to be running on XBSX hardware, was actually running on PC hardware representative of XBSX specs.

That being said, if the GDK development environments between the PC and XBSX/S are virtually same and the stand-in PC hardware representative of XBSX/S hardware... this still doesn't explain the lack of first-party launch titles or the supposed lack of RT. If these games were running on representative hardware, then scaling up or down between WIN/DX platforms should be quite easy as Phil stated. Or, are there other complexities between these platforms making scaling (up / down) not so trivial?
neither have I. I just read through the post from Tommy below. That post explains a lot of the behaviour coming from MS here; the chart is the most telling from what I see here.

A8w8ziT.png

So we can see that they've had this GDK available for development and testing. But CERT and publishing did not happen until recently. That's rather telling how far back it is, perhaps the GDK was too ambitious here and having to support so many platforms from a tools perspective has made it challenging for both MS and the development studios.

This has already been discussed. So, enjoy some reading material...

https://www.thurrott.com/games/237476/the-latest-on-xbox-game-core

Tommy McClain

Thanks. I see now.
Considering Game Core is all new, not everything will be ready for the launch of the consoles. While developers can now use the June 2020 release for games that will head to retail, features like “Multi-process games in Game Core” will not arrive until after launch. There is a work-around for this in the current release, so fret not that this means games can’t be multi-threaded.

There also seems to be some confusing of multi-threaded and multi-process.

There also seems to be some confusing of multi-threaded and multi-process.

From whom? Developers or gaming enthusiast sites?

SMT scheduling should be firmly baked into WIN/DX development environments/toolsets, and multi-process relates to how multiple applications, plugins/extensions, and/or GPU related processes that are handled at a given moment.

From whom? Developers or gaming enthusiast sites?

SMT scheduling should be firmly baked into WIN/DX development environments/toolsets, and multi-process relates to how multiple applications, plugins/extensions, and/or GPU related processes that are handled at a given moment.

The website(s) and folks who are not developers who read them. Specifically the part where it said:
  • features like “Multi-process games in Game Core” will not arrive until after launch. There is a work-around for this in the current release, so fret not that this means games can’t be multi-threaded."

The website(s) and folks who are not developers who read them. Specifically the part where it said:
  • features like “Multi-process games in Game Core” will not arrive until after launch. There is a work-around for this in the current release, so fret not that this means games can’t be multi-threaded."

I got'cha...

I’m probably the only one here who cares about this, but...

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/rock-band-4-and-next-gen-consoles

Rock Band 4 and all DLC will work on the next generation consoles day 1. We believe previously supported instruments should work as expected.
All DLC currently available for download will also work on new consoles. No messy generation transition this time, it’s the same DLC!

Save data can transfer over on both consoles. If you're playing on Xbox and have saved on the cloud recently, it'll do so automatically! On PlayStation®, you can use a few methods, like cloud saves for PlayStation Plus members, or hard drive transfers, to get the data from your current console to your new one.

You'll notice a pretty sizable performance increase on both consoles, especially with load times. Getting into gameplay has never been faster, even with large library sizes! Both the new Xbox and PlayStation consoles are on par with each other when it comes to load times. Impressive across the board.

You should post the full tweet string or whatever they call it but anyway WatchDog is coming at launch and has been shown with what looks like raytracing running on the Series S in the Series S unveil video.
As for the GDK stuff, most consoles doesn't launch with their most optimized dev environment/tools/kits. GDK is moving to a more unified dev platform to allow devs to easily deploy games on Xbox platforms (Series, One, PC, Cloud) as easily as possible so it is understandable that it's not perfect atm but from what I have seen of the doc it has a workaround for most features not yet implemented properly.

Last edited:
The first game shown on ps5 like doom 3 don't remmeber the name, with full RT, is also coming to XSX/S. We know RT on XSX can only be better than on PS5, at least not worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back