Oculus Quest | Meta Quest 2

The adreno 650 inside the XR2 chip is rated at 1.3Tflops compared to the 567Gflops of the Quest 1's adreno 540. That's a huge boost in performance. I was surprised to see that games benefit from higher res AND higer details at the same time.
And there is already an exclusive Quest 2 content announced for Rec Room. let's hope it won't become the norm though.

Yeah, there are some nice improvements here and there, although in many cases still a ways off from PC of course.

Also seems to have 6GB of RAM vs 4GB in the old one so that improves the texture budget a fair bit as well.

On the other hand I would expect many games to support the 90 FPS mode soon, so that takes some of that away.

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.the...-headset-specs-comparison-htc-valve-microsoft

preordered thru grey importers for ~420USD.
and my Quest 1 still hasnt sold. people keeps asking me to lower it by 100 USD. ugh....

btw any ideas what domains safe to block to keep fb spying to minimum? people on oculusquest subreddit really hated me for asking that qustion lol

Yeah, there are some nice improvements here and there, although in many cases still a ways off from PC of course.

Also seems to have 6GB of RAM vs 4GB in the old one so that improves the texture budget a fair bit as well.

On the other hand I would expect many games to support the 90 FPS mode soon, so that takes some of that away.

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.the...-headset-specs-comparison-htc-valve-microsoft

that resolution comparison is not good as quest 2 use RGB subpixels. btw from comparison videos of how it look thru the lenses, it seems Q2 have some kind of anti-sde layer akin to Odyssey+. Resulting in blurrier image than Valve Index despite it resolves more details.

Personally I am content with the fb account as in Europe the GDPR rules are pretty clear and Facebook implemented them very well. So I feel content that I have very much control over what I want to share and what not, and that there are pretty significant reasons (=hefty fine) for this to work.

Also I am apparently one of few who thinks moving to the Facebook account makes sense. Hope this means they will come with a cloud save transfer system and such next, because right now going from Quest 1 to 2 means you lose all progress in most games.

You have to be very careful indeed. The quest 2 through link cable also adds more blur depending on your link cable’s data rate. It supports older USB2 now also but at the cost of clarify.

Inside the headset though the clarity is clearly improved and the screen door effect lessened both through increase in resolution and a different RGB su pixel pattern I think?

But of course this is also going from OLED to LCD so there are some downsides as well.

There’s a guy who made a video shooting through the actual lens comparing various headsets. Also not perfect but more accurate.

You have to be very careful indeed. The quest 2 through link cable also adds more blur depending on your link cable’s data rate. It supports older USB2 now also but at the cost of clarify.

Inside the headset though the clarity is clearly improved and the screen door effect lessened both through increase in resolution and a different RGB su pixel pattern I think?

But of course this is also going from OLED to LCD so there are some downsides as well.

There’s a guy who made a video shooting through the actual lens comparing various headsets. Also not perfect but more accurate.

yeah link hasnt even been updated to support Q2 resolution afaik. So need to use VD or ALVR for full resolution.

btw is there a video where Q2 lens was compared to PSVR? on Q1, when turned off, the lenses are bright while on PSVR its dark. dunno why. maybe related to anti glare coating? Like Nokia ClearBlack display that have reduced glare in outdoors?

So you have it already?

Ok I received mine and have tested it for about an hour ... setup was pretty clean and the headset had plenty of power.

The image quality is really good. The elite headstrap is a huge improvement, especially as I share it with my son and changing different users is far easier with that strap, but it is also significantly more comfortable.

I tried Beat Saber and Eleven Table tennis. Beat Saber I really had to get used to on the Quest as it seems as if everything is smaller, including the swords. It didn’t necessarily feel more accurate, and the framerate is clearly lower. Also the Move controllers suit my hands much better. I got the impression that the Move is actually better with really fast movements combined with the high framerate, but I’ll get back on that.

That said it looks really good and I got used to it pretty quickly. The high scores seem to go up to at least 30000 which is a nice improvement over the 10000 for PS4.

The Quest really needs multi-user support though so my son can use his own account. I read they are actually hard at work on this as I expected as that was a good reason to switch to Facebook accounts - most people already have one, and you can easily add cloud save support to that as wel. Can’t wait for that.

I also played Table Tennis for a while and really enjoyed that too. I got used to it pretty quickly and can already do much I could do in real life, though not yet everything - the reduced peripheral vision makes adjusting to the moments where that matters a bit harder. It is really good and also a great social activity that makes me hope some people I know in real life will get it too.

Also tried the browser and Netflix, which are functional and definitely benefit from the better screens.

Next on my list to try later after dinner are the boxing game and virtual desktop.

Is the 90Hz mode already available in quest2 or is it coming later? I believe that will make some difference versus the 75Hz in quest1.

It is available but games have to update. I think none of them have yet, but not sure. I think you can select it in Virtual Desktop ...

I tried Virtual Desktop and that runs great and really shows off the increased resolution - I can totally do my work in Visual Studio using it.

I also played The Thrill of the Fight, the boxing game, and that really shows off the freedom you have walking around. If you can mark off 2 by 2m as play area then you have enough to have a nice ring simulation, where you can really circle your opponent. Having to go back to your corner after each round is amusing, and the game is a big workout.

It does really make me excited for something like Move Fitness on the Quest (and even on PSVR).

I am also getting used to playing Beat Saber a bit better. It’s a bit more strict I think than on the PSVR if I recall correctly, and I am starting to think part of my mistakes are due to that, though I still feel as if frames might me dropping on the Expert+ levels, not sure. On Expert I can get S ranks now that put me in the top 1000 here and there already. Will keep playing this for sure.

Oh and the last time I played today the new update to the game had installed and it has a completely new UI and online modes. The online didn’t work yet but my son tried it later and then it did work.

The built-in speakers are good enough for most purposes, so that’s a nice touch too.

All in all the versatility of this headset and the quality of it all is pretty good. Being able to play without needing anything else whatsoever and no cables, hard to beat!

I’m struggling to find a test-driven metaphor to reply ...

Is it like using aim-bots to cheat with your archery?

Back