Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Probably not straight forward licensing wise. If they modify the code, to support more games or make it better, they have to release those modifications back into the wild.
I guess they would have to port it PS5 and its api's. Running it as a BSD app I would belive is a highway straight to jailbreak land.

That did not stop Capcom "licensing" Final burn Alpha which has a non commercial license, and contains much similar open source code(Mame), or is at least referenced in its license.

All the theory behind it is very interesting. It really is. But I couldn't care less, honestly! Just a different kind of vibration for a controller, "woooow"! It's just a gimmick. In the meantime, many of us are wishing that Sony would have invested time and effort on bringing PS1, 2 and 3 BC, instead. THAT would have been a feature to be really excited about. Yeah, I know, I know the reasons... but it's not that it's impossible, so... I'm just mad at Sony. :no:

All the theory behind it is very interesting. It really is. But I couldn't care less, honestly! Just a different kind of vibration for a controller, "woooow"! It's just a gimmick. In the meantime, many of us are wishing that Sony would have invested time and effort on bringing PS1, 2 and 3 BC, instead. THAT would have been a feature to be really excited about. Yeah, I know, I know the reasons... but it's not that it's impossible, so... I'm just mad at Sony. :no:

Well it’s not like the two options (DualSense features vs full backward compat) would require the same investment in time and money so not sure that’s a great analogy, and therefore not a great reason to be mad at Sony.

Honestly I could care less about BC on PS5 (excluding BCing PS4) as the old games should just be available on Steam if they're worth re-playing. I would rather them work on new experiences.

Well it’s not like the two options (DualSense features vs full backward compat) would require the same investment in time and money so not sure that’s a great analogy, and therefore not a great reason to be mad at Sony.
It's just an example on a company focusing on things the users didn't even ask for (and once known, it's not that they're received with a lot of enthusiasm, to be honest) instead of known wanted features by a huge fan/userbase.

Honestly I could care less about BC on PS5 as the old games should just be available on Steam if they're worth re-playing. I would rather them work on new experiences.
And I think it's silly that I have to have 3 PlayStations next to my TV instead of just one. BTW, not all games are on Steam. :rolleyes: And enabling BC does NOT mean they don't have time left to focus on new experiences.

It's just an example on a company focusing on things the users didn't even ask for (and once known, it's not that they're received with a lot of enthusiasm, to be honest) instead of known wanted features by a huge fan/userbase.

“Things users didn’t ask for” isn’t really a great measure of the usefulness or even demand of any given product or feature, is it? Lots of thing we now love are things we never “asked for”.

And I think it's silly that I have to have 3 PlayStations next to my TV instead of just one. BTW, not all games are on Steam. :rolleyes: And enabling BC does NOT mean they don't have time left to focus on new experiences.

You don’t know how many people want to play PS3 games. Sorry but in the grand scheme of things, the percentage is low enough not to warrant the investment, and that’s really what is important.

Notable games on PS3 have been ‘remastered’ on PS4 and those are playable.

You don’t know how many people want to play PS3 games. Sorry but in the grand scheme of things, the percentage is low enough not to warrant the investment, and that’s really what is important.

Notable games on PS3 have been ‘remastered’ on PS4 and those are playable.
Ok.

Jesus, read what's inside the paragraph! Who's megaexcited for haptic feedback?

But what does haptic feedback have to do with BC?

It’s not like Sony went “mmmmm we only have space for one thing, we’ll have to choose between a new controller and BC”.

Full BC wasn’t gonna happen whether we got a new controller or not.

I’m quite excited by the new controller, because to me BC all the way back to PS3 brings NO value. You value BC, and that’s ok.

Different people value different things and you’re judging and making assumptions on what people may or may not want or like.

That did not stop Capcom "licensing" Final burn Alpha which has a non commercial license, and contains much similar open source code(Mame), or is at least referenced in its license.

Does not mean its is easy for Sony to do that for another emulator. And I am guessing Capcom did it for their games only? And for PC maybe? Not for inclusion into its own proprietary BSD based OS?

To claim sony is giving people what they didnt ask for as opposed to ps123pspvita emulation is faulty.

They decided on what was easiest/most doable and prioritized that in their plans regarding what most of the ecosystem would be happy with.

Ps4 library compatibility was by far the biggest thing they had to nail in the age of ecosystems and service based content and it seems like they managed that reasonably well

Well I didn't have a console pre-ps4 so BC pre-PS4 doesn't matter to me. The controller does.

It's an excellent explanation of what's likely in the controller and shows what can be possible in the controller and how it works. Really cool explanation from the lad and I haven't seen anyone else do an explanation of the controller like that.

If the controller does work and you can feel the different terrain, it is a game changer for emersion.. If you press the trigger(R2) and it gets stuck when a bullet gets stuck in the chamber, that's a game changer for emersion. The new mic layout is a game changer for gaming. The supposed extended battery life will always be welcome.

I have no issues with the new controller and it's an exciting tech to me.

I find it funny that you think it's a gimmick! How about wait to play with it before you call it a gimmick.

Last edited:
Wondering when Sony will start showing their tentpole titles (e.g., God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Killzone Shadow Fall, The Last of Us Remastered & 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne, etc.) running in BC mode on PS5. Hopefully some worthy updates towards higher resolutions/framerates, better anisotropic filtering, and faster load times.

Wondering when Sony will start showing their tentpole titles (e.g., God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Killzone Shadow Fall, The Last of Us Remastered & 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne, etc.) running in BC mode on PS5. Hopefully some worthy updates towards higher resolutions/framerates, better anisotropic filtering, and faster load times.

Horizon Zero Dawn is not inside the PS Plus collection. I think it will be like Spiderman Remastered.

Back