Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont' envy their position here.
Total of 11 modes that need to be tested for this one.
XBO, PS4, X1X Quality+Performance, 4Pro Quality+Performance, XSS, XSX Quality/Perf/120, PS5 Quality/Perf/120

yikes.

Game looks great to me. I'm a bit miffed by the negative views of this title. It does look cross gen, but the scale of work they are taking on is fairly large. Terrain deformation, the snow, the lighting models, mud, dirt build up, destructible terrain. All quite nice package being put together here. Not a typical next gen experience, but they put the power to work elsewhere as opposed to the typical elements. I think I'm going to pick this one up, looks like a lot of fun.

The games look ok and I like the image quality mode because they let the framerate at 60 fps just resolution going down further with better effects. And they will optimize before release. With midgen console and backward compatibility I think we will see more dynamic resolution and unlocked framerate.

This will probably be not the best looking games of the generation and the next Forza Horizon will be for sure far above.

EDIT: DF footage is much better than other footage where the quality is sometimes bad.

Last edited:
The games look ok and I like the image quality mode because they let the framerate at 60 fps just resolution going down further with better effects. And they will optimize before release. With midgen console and backward compatibility I think we will see more dynamic resolution and unlocked framerate.

This will probably be not the best looking games of the generation and the next Forza Horizon will be for sure far above.

EDIT: DF footage is much better than other footage where the quality is sometimes bad.
Yea GT7 and FH are going to have much more extensive effort into image quality, lighting models, car models etc.

But there is something charming about this game. Maybe I haven't done a rally title in a long time, I dunno, but something about it looks like a lot of fun. Just a bunch of stuff happening on the screen it feels like, as if half the battle was fighting the environment even though there are other cars on the track.

Yea GT7 and FH are going to have much more extensive effort into image quality, lighting models, car models etc.

But there is something charming about this game. Maybe I haven't done a rally title in a long time, I dunno, but something about it looks like a lot of fun. Just a bunch of stuff happening on the screen it feels like, as if half the battle was fighting the environment even though there are other cars on the track.

Been an arcade racer I prefer Dirt 5 to GT7 but I hope they will offer a fully spiritual sucessor to Motorstorm. FH is the best looking car games and I can't imagine the next one.

The mud, ice and, dare I say it, dirt all look nicely tactile.

Yakuza 7 Like a dragon.

A very good showcase of where dynamic resolution would be perfect, dropping to a locked 1080p for 60fos when the normal mode is already 60fps most of the time seems excessive.

Series X: 4K30
Series S: 1440p30
Series X: 1440p60
Series S: 900p60
PS4 Pro: 1080p/30
PS4: 900p/30

So Series S performing better than 4Pro with 1440p30 mode.

Yakuza 7 Like a dragon.

A very good showcase of where dynamic resolution would be perfect, dropping to a locked 1080p for 60fos when the normal mode is already 60fps most of the time seems excessive.

and performance mode with always stable 60fps 1080p on xsx

Last edited:
David Cage said that people are going to rather prefer 1080p and great lighting than 4k on consoles.

He said that raytracing is the next revolution. I think he is totally right! Remember the image below.

https://wccftech.com/cage-many-devs...an-limited-lighting4k-well-have-a-new-engine/

Cage: Many Devs Will Prefer Ray Tracing @1080p Rather Than Limited Lighting @4K; We’ll Have a New Engine
I also remember people saying that engines are going to go full RT when it came out consoles had RT, and it saving on budget, making content creation and pipelines easier.

Think people who make metro said something like that also.
We'll see I'm not convinced that RT is performant enough in all of the sectors, budget GPUs, consoles etc
I think more so then ever we're looking at hybrid approachs.
And that relates to his views also, sure he can aim for that, but I bet he still supports hybrid approachs especially if there's any form of cross platform support.

I also remember people saying that engines are going to go full RT when it came out consoles had RT, and it saving on budget, making content creation and pipelines easier.
haha, ah yes, this was definitely me. Or at least I was on this side of the argument. I think there is truth in it. But I also think the long term strategy when you are falling behind on compute power is to go back to resort to some form of baking.

haha, ah yes, this was definitely me. Or at least I was on this side of the argument. I think there is truth in it. But I also think the long term strategy when you are falling behind on compute power is to go back to resort to some form of baking.
Long term it's the way forward, I just wasn't convinced we was a couple years away as was said last year I think it was.

I'm even more convinced of that than ever before.

That Yakuza running at 900p 60fps on XBSS doesn't make it look too appealing if you are looking for that 1440p machine.

That Yakuza running at 900p 60fps on XBSS doesn't make it look too appealing if you are looking for that 1440p machine.
Series S is 1440P at 30FPS... Series X only manages 1440P at 60FPS for a game that's OK looking. Options are good. If you want the highest resolution and don't mind 30FPS great, if you want 60FPS with lower resolution great.

Reactions: Jay
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back