Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Not sure if it still works but there was a proxy based method to force a PT redownload if you managed to nab it when it was live (apparently they simply changed the ID code on the back end, the proxy intercepts the call and alters it to the new ID)

Good job guys on the loading stuff. I'm kind of afraid, I'm generally using loading times to drink or relax my muscles. I'll be a dehydrated rock with the ps5 :/

Funny-Beer-Soda-Can-Holder-Cap-Straw-Drinking-Helmet-Hat-Plastic-Lazy-Beverage-Coke-Hat-for.jpg

Not really. I see on ebay ps4 + PT sold on crazy prices... It's a bugged game demo... or what ? Really I don't know.
It’s essentially a teaser demo for a Silent Hills game made by Kojima staring Norman Redus that got canned.

The game was removed from PSN so now the only way to get it is if you transfer the game over from your PS4...or use the hack mentioned.

Interesting to hear them explain that the real challenge is not so much power but ensuring coherency and timing without hardware support. Was fascinated to learn that there was a lot of low level calling of RSX specific commands going on, I assumed that GPU commands would be relatively generic but iirc the 7800 was the last fixed shader design from NV so I shouldn't be surprised it has a lot of commands no longer supported on modern GPUs.

I would really kike to have ps1/ps2 bc, maybe not through disc, but atleast via store/download. Yes we have pcsx2 but its a hassle setting and tweaking every game.
I have a ps2 but one console less beneath the tv would be nice.
Its also a way of preserving/keeping those generation of games alive.

How are games running on PC then? Could Sony not select titles with the best performance?

Lots of kludges...lots and lots of kludges. Combined with trial and error...lots and lots of trial and error.

Basically you almost need to do special BC for each PS3 title on PC from what I understand. Whether that be changes to settings for how the emulator works for a specific title or coming up with one off code to address corner cases where the existing emulator code chokes or is non-optimal.

So, it's possible to do on PS5 as it's just as powerful as most modern PCs, it's just that it would require a large time investment from Sony. A REALLY large time investment.

Regards,
SB

Lots of kludges...lots and lots of kludges. Combined with trial and error...lots and lots of trial and error.

Basically you almost need to do special BC for each PS3 title on PC from what I understand. Whether that be changes to settings for how the emulator works for a specific title or coming up with one off code to address corner cases where the existing emulator code chokes or is non-optimal.

So, it's possible to do on PS5 as it's just as powerful as most modern PCs, it's just that it would require a large time investment from Sony. A REALLY large time investment.

Regards,
SB

The fact that RPCS3 is open source and continually improving also means a lot of work is already done...

The fact that RPCS3 is open source and continually improving also means a lot of work is already done...

Probably not straight forward licensing wise. If they modify the code, to support more games or make it better, they have to release those modifications back into the wild.
I guess they would have to port it PS5 and its api's. Running it as a BSD app I would belive is a highway straight to jailbreak land.

I would really kike to have ps1/ps2 bc, maybe not through disc, but atleast via store/download. Yes we have pcsx2 but its a hassle setting and tweaking every game.
I have a ps2 but one console less beneath the tv would be nice.
Its also a way of preserving/keeping those generation of games alive.

Digital bc is the real reason sony isnt interested in backwards compatibility for these machines. If it was just disc based it would be easier for them. But they want to actually sell them on the store to actually make money off of it.

Licensing is the ultimate roadblock. As far as sony is concerned they got as many ps2 games as possible supported by their ps4 ps2 emulator and licensing killed that initiative dead considering how many games pubs were outright unwilling to play ball reissuing(if the pubs still existed)

Considering the mountain sized trove of over 20 thousand ps1 ps2 and ps3 games total they would need to account for on their machine for consumers to not consider it a half assed effort, its def something they have considered and decided bringing select games back as new releases is far more doable.

Wed probably be saying the same of ps4 if the architecture wasnt similar and ps4 wasnt as recent to just allow for most ecosystem to naturally carry over.

In this case its easier than it ever has been to keep their built up ecosystem in place and likely made it clear along with MS to AMD that they needed navi and zen to allow for that level of auto compatibility first and foremost.

Last edited:
Back