Nvidia Ampere Discussion [2020-05-14]

Pascal's launch wasnt any better. It took months for most AIBs to be available and that prices would be under 700€ for the cheapest cards. And four years ago nVidia sold half dGPUs.

Pascal's launch wasnt any better. It took months for most AIBs to be available and that prices would be under 700€ for the cheapest cards. And four years ago nVidia sold half dGPUs.

Well checking some threads from Overclockers.uk during the pascal launch.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...ders-edition-wanna-pre-order.18731877/page-13

some quotes from that thread from Gibbo:

Day before launch.
I now have over 500 cards ready for tomorrow with more stock landing.

Evening of the launch day
By 18:00 today we had sold over 1500 cards!

Not sure if they shipped all of those at that point or if some were back ordered, but I think they might have actually had that amount of cards. or cleared that queue quickly, because about 3 weeks from the launch he posted:

we have around 500pc on 1080 FE in stock, with Zotac the most in stock at present, but also good stocks on Asus, Gainward, Gigabyte, MSI and PNY

also this is a factory model.
1080 G1 Gaming should be shipping today, we had a large shipment come in. :)

They are also in stock but selling like 1 unit per minute, BE QUICK

Everyone who wanted a card in their forum had a good chance to get one and they had sizable new shipments within few weeks of the launch. They were happily posting the pyramid pictures, this time they weren't allowed to do so.

The data from their forum members put the total shipment figures of Ampere cards into few hundreds as of today and lot of people didn't get a card. It's just one shop, but I think it tells a story.

Now I understand that the demand is higher now, but the volume of cards at least over here is suspiciously tiny.

Last edited:
Did anyone log the instruction mix of folding@home workloads yet? That should be a nice compute load for GA10x (x!=0) …
I currently see only minor improvements on a 3080 vs. a 2080 Ti, in the range of 10-20%, which makes me wonder whether or not F@H is predominantly special functions, which Nvidia did not scale up apart from higher #SMs and clocks. Power draw OTOH seems to indicate a very loaded GPU.

But maybe current Work Units don't scale up very good and FP32 monsters must wait for WUs with a higher base rating.

Last edited:
Not many reviews included F&H results, though did notice this a few weeks after 3080 reviews.
https://www.legitreviews.com/geforc...foldinghome-cuda-enabled-gpu-workloads_222389

Edit: Wccftech does have results from different projects.
https://videocardz.com/press-release/foldinghome-gets-15-30-performance-boost-with-nvidia-cuda
Saw the legit site as well, without OC, I'm currently at around 5,7M ppd, but probably need to wait more in order to get a fitting WU. A not exactly overclocked 2080 Ti yielded up to 4,8-4,9M ppd.

The Nvidia-provided results from videocardz seem to make sense for small projects with 3080 not being significantly faster than 2080 Ti. Only on larger projects, they show an increase for very wide GPUs like A100, but did not include RTX 30 for unknown reasons.

Looks like at the moment you can't buy any nvidia GPU's, except the 2060 and 2070 over here, and even the 2070 is scarce. Quite peculiar.

Looks like at the moment you can't buy any nvidia GPU's, except the 2060 and 2070 over here, and even the 2070 is scarce. Quite peculiar.

3070 was supposed to come out this week and replace 2070 super. 3070 got delayed 2 weeks. If 3070 supply is good that would be perfect situation for nvidia as no need to sell old product with discount price. On the other hand if 3090/3080/3070 supply is gimped that should show up in nvidia's q4 results in a really bad way.

There was a rumor a while back that production was stopped on TU104 based cards. Of course that would be silly if you don't have anything new to sell.

It's not too much of a stretch to assume Nvidia already has some 7nm RTX samples since they already use TSMC's 7nm FinFET process for Ampere A100.

What happened to SS8 is much cheaper and has 'infinite' capacity argument?

Im not sure i subscribe to the ”yields are bad!” theory. If i can speculate i think Nvidia wanted to announce first to steal AMDs thunder but they were nowhere near mass production in reality. Thats why some AIBs had to change MLCC setup at the last minute. And the current rumor is that production is ramping up big time now

Back