Microsoft Xbox All Access now includes Series X|S Upgrade Options (Installment Payment Plan)

Also, you return the XB1X? SO you pay $370 ish for 12 months of XB1X, then $740 ish over 24 months for Scarlett? I still think that's a little presumptuous. It says you need to take out an agreement to buy a Scarlett. One reason not to mention what that would be is because MS are still undecided on price, and it's only an option and not part of the contract - you still own an XB1X if you choose not to upgrade.

Come on guys. This is just another option for people. Some people buy cars with cash or a loan, but there are some who would rather lease their car instead.

Yes, you have to return the Xbox One X. You haven't paid it off in 12 months because it's a 24 month contract. So it's not yours yet. For the $371.88 spent in the first 12-months you got the use of a Xbox One X(worth $500 if you paid full price, yes there some on sale for $100 off) and 12 months of Game Pass Ultimate(worth $179.88 if you paid full price). So yeah you basically rented $679.88 worth of merchandise for only $371.88. For some people that entry fee is worth it to get a Scarlett at launch. For others? Not so much. Again, just another option.

Tommy McClain

Except nobody goes to their local bank to get a personal loan to buy goods like that anymore. You either use a credit card(personal or store-branded) or buy from a local rent-to-own retailer. Both ways are at opposite sides of the cost spectrum.

Tommy McClain

Sure, but the point I was trying to make is that the calculations aren't so cut and dried. There's a monthly interest rate that is applied to each month of the term because it is a loan. A loan through MS and underwritten by CitizensOne.

Or like buying it with a Credit Card but waiting 36 months to pay it off. Depending on the credit card that could be an APR of up to 24% (possibly more? I haven't looked at CC rates recently) compounded monthly. IE - by the time the console is paid off, the paid interest would be much more than 24% or whatever the APR is of the CC used.

I don't feel like attempting to figure out what the effective interest rate for this offer is or how much interest you'd be paying monthly, but it's likely not as bad as taking out a bad loan.

It's really easy to just look at it and think it's a bad deal because it's more than just paying cash at the store. But if you consider it in terms of interest paid if you bought it with either a CC (and took 36 months to pay it off) or took out a 36 month loan (and actually took the full 36 months to pay off the loan), it probably isn't that bad.

Regards,
SB

Sure, but the point I was trying to make is that the calculations aren't so cut and dried. There's a monthly interest rate that is applied to each month of the term because it is a loan. A loan through MS and underwritten by CitizensOne.

Or like buying it with a Credit Card but waiting 36 months to pay it off. Depending on the credit card that could be an APR of up to 24% (possibly more? I haven't looked at CC rates recently) compounded monthly. IE - by the time the console is paid off, the paid interest would be much more than 24% or whatever the APR is of the CC used.

I don't feel like attempting to figure out what the effective interest rate for this offer is or how much interest you'd be paying monthly, but it's likely not as bad as taking out a bad loan.

It's really easy to just look at it and think it's a bad deal because it's more than just paying cash at the store. But if you consider it in terms of interest paid if you bought it with either a CC (and took 36 months to pay it off) or took out a 36 month loan (and actually took the full 36 months to pay off the loan), it probably isn't that bad.

Regards,
SB

I get you now. I went back & double checked my numbers. Looks like I goofed. If you don't take into account the Scarlett upgrade, a retail Xbox One X & 24 months of Game Pass Ultimate at full retail price would cost you $758.76 for the $400 console or $858.76 for a $500 console. The All Access program costs $30.99/mo for 24 months or $743.76. Remember there is 0% APR for the whole 24 months. Only thing extra the fine print mentions is "taxes, shipping & other charges are extra". One would assume those charges would be the same if you bought it with cash. So it looks like a really good deal unless you can find a new 1X for less than $400. Figuring the Scarlett upgrade cost into the equation gets a lot more complicated. We'll have to come back to that once we know it's retail price.

Tommy McClain

It's 0%. You are getting it with deferred payment at no additional cost.

Does anyone know how the 24 months of GamePass works with the Xbox All Access?

Here in Australia, only 1 retailer is selling all access, and it's an ISP, only available to customers of that ISP.
I'm considering asking a friend who is with that ISP to pre-order one for me, but i am concerned that the 24 months of gamepass will be linked to their ISP account/email.
and not usable with my existing XBL account?

Here in the States it's just a 24-month Game Pass redeemable code. Anybody can activate it. It's not assigned to the console. Unfortunately, their FAQ is not as clear...

Does the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership have to go to whoever bought the Xbox All Access?

The Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership is solely for the Xbox All Access account holder and is not able to be resold or transferred. Whilst another console or person can use the membership, access to the content and online game play will be cancelled if the Xbox All Access account is cancelled with Telstra.

https://www.xbox.com/en-AU/xbox-all-access#faq

Sounds like it might still be a code, but they want you to know that if the account is not paid or cancelled you run the risk of losing the service.

Tommy McClain

Yeah i read that too,
Not sure if i want to risk it just to get a series X sooner rather than later....

But my base Ps4 is feeling very long in the tooth....

Back