Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Question: did the PS5 tear down video confirm that Sony did not upgrade the speed of the RAM? Do we know whether any clock speeds were increased last minute?

Any potential changes to GPU/CPU frequencies would be mentioned closer to launch. But in general, these systems are cooked...

I think I dun goofed. Sold my PS4 Pro last week, and instead of moving my library to an external drive, I did a whole backup of the system. I was feeling a bit of pressure since the buyer was waiting on me to pick up the console and I didn't think it through. Now I'll only have astrobot to play once I receive my PS5 until I download something overnight with my crap 10mb connection :(

I wonder if Sony's spending on SSD was a waste.
Maybe there wasnt much done in terms of optimization because it would have been unnecessary?
Whats the point between 1 second and 3 seconds?
The benefits of the PS5 SSD is probably not found in standard loading times but games optimized to stream data very fast during gameplay.
We will see. Rachet and Clank is probably one of these games and I wonder if it is possible on a PC currently.
Well, relative to the Xbox Series consoles it remains to be seen. For 3rd party games, there likely wont be a meaningful difference. Maybe a couple seconds here and there. However I don't think we should be drawing any kinds of conclusions just yet. Remember, developers will be advertising "optimized load speeds" of updated games... which can be true whether they really optimized the game for loading on the new consoles or not. With minimal effort, or even no effort at all, these consoles will undoubtedly load much faster than the previous gen.. so as long as that is the case, they can advertise as such all they want.

We won't really know where things stand until next gen games are out that are available on all platforms which are doing things different from before.

In my own personal opinion, I think Sony maybe reached a little too high for their SSD, when Gen 3 NVMe alone likely would have been enough... but who knows? I think the biggest benefit for Sony, and the reason why they pushed so hard for an incredibly fast SSD, was to essentially make the lives of their developers just that much easier. If it helps development teams reach their goals more easily and reduce money/dev time on those specific issues during development, then it could be a big benefit for their 1st party teams who are known for pushing the envelope. I'm sure it also helps iteration speeds and build times as well.

Last edited:
I think I dun goofed. Sold my PS4 Pro last week, and instead of moving my library to an external drive, I did a whole backup of the system. I was feeling a bit of pressure since the buyer was waiting on me to pick up the console and I didn't think it through. Now I'll only have astrobot to play once I receive my PS5 until I download something overnight with my crap 10mb connection :(
Did you wipe your system ? I forgot to wipe during my trade in but I was promised it would be.

ThoroughGleamingAuk-size_restricted.gif

This is still insane to me. Really impressive stuff. 2 seconds in my mind is "instant".. since you'd generally want an aesthetically pleasing transition which will easily occupy that time and then some anyway. If they really rebuilt the game to take advantage of PS5.. a simple fade to black and back again, or some cool transition effect could replace the load screen altogether and would make the whole thing seem even that much more impressive.

I like how they added a "confirm" button prompt because it's so fast. :)

Wait a sec, you can't restore PS4 back up to PS5?

Uh... I really don't want to unpack my PS4 pro again just to move games to external and copy saves to usb thumb drive...

This is still insane to me. Really impressive stuff. 2 seconds in my mind is "instant".. since you'd generally want an aesthetically pleasing transition which will easily occupy that time and then some anyway. If they really rebuilt the game to take advantage of PS5.. a simple fade to black and back again, or some cool transition effect could replace the load screen altogether and would make the whole thing seem even that much more impressive.

I like how they added a "confirm" button prompt because it's so fast. :)

Yup. Load and/or transitioning screens aren't going nowhere. Unless, you like matrix style world load-ins...
MilkyBetterArgusfish-size_restricted.gif

Not sure why you'd think you can restore a PS4 system file to PS5.

i though PS5 will simply read the things they need off the PS4 backup. It also did not backup the system file, as you would need to do a separate UPDATE.PUP on usb flash if you want to restore the backup to other PS4 that have different firmware version.

All you really need to transfer over is save files and your media (music, SS, videos, etc.) really. Everything else is accessible either from PSN or your disks.

All you really need to transfer over is save files and your media (music, SS, videos, etc.) really. Everything else is accessible either from PSN or your disks.

ouch, i though you cant do batch transfer for all of them without using the backup tool. How do i batch transfer all of them? i'll unpack my ps4 pro and let it finish it overnight.

ouch, i though you cant do batch transfer for all of them without using the backup tool. How do i batch transfer all of them? i'll unpack my ps4 pro and let it finish it overnight.

PS4 to PS4 transfer does it all at once. Save files you'll have to copy them one game by one game I think.

PS4 to PS4 transfer does it all at once. Save files you'll have to copy them one game by one game I think.

but i want to transfer to PS5 :(

so i need to do the batch for each category then... ouch. (saves batch, media batch, game batch).

EDIT: lol im stupid. Ill simply do save backup batch. i can redownload the game, and media are nothing important hahaha.

Back