How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

How many digital-only home consoles have been "massive sellers" so far?

IIRC, the XBone SAD didn't sell very well even when it sold for 120€ during the last couple of Black Fridays. We've been seeing breakdowns of PS5 sales and it seems the Digital Edition is getting only 10% of the sales, despite actually having the same hardware and storage capacity. There's no shortage of youtubers / influencers telling people to keep away from the PS5 Digital edition because it gives people less choice and access to retailer promotions.

I get that the SeriesS exists to provide a cheaper alternative to get an expanded audience, but Microsoft hasn't been putting that much of their marketing focus on the console. Most of the talk, demos, features, etc. have been shown for the SeriesX, not the SeriesS.
They know their main audience wants the SeriesX, not the SeriesS.

There's really no indication whatsoever that the SeriesS will be massive at launch.
Did you stop reading? Because I explained why, shortages of the XSX and parents buying the wrong console or panicking to get kids the latest Xbox.

Also WRT PS5DE we have no idea what the interest is because Sony are dictating the ratio....what we do know is they sold out very quickly.

Did you stop reading? Because I explained why, shortages of the XSX and parents buying the wrong console or panicking to get kids the latest Xbox.

Also WRT PS5DE we have no idea what the interest is because Sony are dictating the ratio....what we do know is they sold out very quickly.

There is shortage of SeriesX? Where I live there's never been shortage of seriesX preorders. I could preorder one for me right now if I wanted.
If I wanted a PS5 OTOH I'd only be able to get one for late January.

There is shortage of SeriesX? Where I live there's never been shortage of seriesX preorders. I could preorder one for me right now if I wanted.

huh?, How could you even determine that at this point?...

Here in the states its impossible to get the xbox right now. Sony did drop more ps5 pre orders last week at gamestop i believe

In the states. The rest of the world is another matter.

I did post about a week ago that I could pre-order both XBSX and XBSS in my country. I can't do the same for the PS5.

And in my understanding, the rest of the world is bigger than the USA. ;)

Yes, UK sold out within hours and no news of when there will be stock, gutted beck pre ordered the XSS and now want an XSX

Direct #PS5

preorder on Amazon (Prime Day starts at 3am EST)

PS5 Physical Edition Amazon Link: https://amazon.com/gp/item-dispatch?ie=UTF8&action=addToCart&asin.1=B08FC5L3RG&tag=sec2002-20&ref_=d6k_applink_bb_dls
PS5 Digital Edition Amazon Link: https://t.co/D51YSHTsWw?amp=1

I see Amazon UK also has .. ready for Prime Day today!

He mentioned ANT as the other store .. I don't know the store though.

People paid for him to get a LG CX 55" TV yesterday ... made $2000 in 30-45min.

@BRiT please move this to

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...g-positioning-and-pricing-2020.60836/page-104

Last edited:
In the states. The rest of the world is another matter.

I did post about a week ago that I could pre-order both XBSX and XBSS in my country. I can't do the same for the PS5.

And in my understanding, the rest of the world is bigger than the USA. ;)
Xbox has only ever sold competitively with Playstation in the US and UK. That's not going to change this generation. Sony will almost certainly be well ahead in total sales because of it. The open question is whether MS will decisively win back the US, and that's where the XSS is going to matter. The US market is by far the largest console gaming market.

Remember that MS managed to nearly tie PS's global sales in the 360/PS3 gen by winning the US 2:1, despite having almost no European and Asian presence. I don't think they're going to be able to do that again, but it shows how outsized the US market is. The US numbers are going to be what matters the most for Xbox.

It is not a bit strange that we still haven’t seen any actual gameplay showing true next gen stuff on the Xbox series, unlike the ps5. They should be hyping the console.
I wonder if in under a month when we have the actual comparisons, we will see the Xbox has more pixels but the ps5 has prettier pixels at least in the initial games.

Back