Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Are there examples of PS4 games that can interact with data from other PS4 games?
The platforms may be designed to key data to a specific application, making a given game's saves invisible to any other application. A PS5 version of a PS4 game would probably be given a separate ID, for cloud and patch update purposes.
If the platform doesn't provide a means of linking what the console would consider separate applications, then only games that have a data back end under external control would have a way of making the data visible and knowing which games are linked. Whether a game with its own cloud saves is providing the same file to both versions or internally converting them is abstracted from the console.
Providing a more general platform method would likely require some thought and engineering to be invested into infrastructure and platform design changes, and that's not a space where Sony's leading.

Does Sony put an ethernet cable in their console boxes? If the PS5 doesn't come with an ethernet cable it may be an option for convenience or minimal-effort transfer. If someone's setup is mostly wireless or the wires are tangled behind an entertainment center, there may not be a cable readily accessible.

The real problem is the DRM, it intentionally walls everything off. That’s why for example borderlands required you to upload it using the original game and then download his video game 13 days to mount the pro wigearbox servers in between and we can get that done to
There seems to be something different in the situations between the two platforms. Perhaps Microsoft is incentivizing cross-gen links or directing it for certain things like smart delivery, or there could be different technical costs or obstacles. Why would we have an example of a multi-platform game making very different choices based on platform if all else was equal?

I think the contact between the heatsink and EM plate is likely limited, and the thermal pads for the SSD look pretty thick. They may just be enough to avoid overly high temperatures, but not enough to keep the SSD very cool. I think the heatsink itself is impeding at least some airflow for the plate, since the PS5 seems to seal at least part of the heatsink and plate around the fan with foam.

Xbox One X uses the same cloud save system across generations. Something tells me PS5 doesn’t. Japanese developers love to throw everything out and start from scratch. It took it becoming prohibitively expensive for Final Fantasy to not rewrite the engine every game and just go with Unreal

You hope there are enough good native games so few people would bother playing PS4 games, unless the developers released patches to make them play with higher resolution and graphics on the PS5. But we know they will monetize by coming out with remastered version, which is fine too.

If they offered a patched or remastered UC4, I'd check it out but otherwise, no reason to install UC4 on limited SSD storage space unless you never played it before.

Or if you want to play a PS4 game again on PS5.

Games I intend to play again on PS5(although depending on other games and life).

God of War
Ghost of Tsushima
Spider-Man(Well this is a given with the Remastered version coming out anyway)
Horizon Zero Dawn
Days Gone
The Last of Us 2
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (I don't think I will ever stop playing this game)
Detroit Become Human (Part of PS+ Collection but I have the game)
GT Sport (Oh yes!)
I might play some RB6 Siege although haven't played it in ages on PS4 but have played it on PC

Last edited:
There seems to be something different in the situations between the two platforms. Perhaps Microsoft is incentivizing cross-gen links or directing it for certain things like smart delivery, or there could be different technical costs or obstacles. Why would we have an example of a multi-platform game making very different choices based on platform if all else was equal?

Perhaps it’s as simple as Microsoft requiring developers to make saves transferable to their next-gen console, and Sony not doing so.

More like it doesn't require any work by the devs because of Smart Delivery -- it's the same game so it still has access to the same cloud and local files.

But if the article about FIFA21 is correct, then XBOX -> XSX|S has the same issue, which it would not if it was the same game, right?

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/el...next-gen-progress-carry-over-explanation-news

EA confirmed earlier this year that when users take advantage of the Dual Entitlement program to move between playing FIFA 21 on PS4 or Xbox One to PS5 or Xbox Series X | S, not all progression will carry over. Some of the most vital bits to dedicated FIFA fans, like Ultimate Team data and Volta progression, will still be able to move between consoles, but Career Mode and Pro Clubs will stay tied to specific consoles.

IIRC, That's because they want to charge money for the upgrade to next-gen. If they use Smart Delivery then it would be free and just happen automatically.

I am not sure I agree, because you get to upgrade for for free until FIFA 22 is released.
But the article can be wrong, I have no idea if it is or not.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/fifa-21-next-gen-upgrades-ea-sports-ps5-xbox-series-x

Thankfully, EA's made the rules and benefits of FIFA 21's Dual Entitlement offer pretty clear. First, it only extends to upgrading from PS4 to PS5 or from Xbox One to Xbox Series X. Second, EA specifies that players will be able to upgrade to the next-gen version for free "up until the launch of FIFA 22," so there is an expiration date built into the offer.

I am not sure I agree, because you get to upgrade for for free until FIFA 22 is released.
But the article can be wrong, I have no idea if it is or not.

Then it's because they want to limit when the user can get the upgrade from PS4/Xbox One to the next-gen version PS5/SeriesX|S. If they used Smart-Delivery then regardless of when they bought the FIFA 21 Xbox One edition they would able to upgrade for FIFA 21 Series X|S version, even well after FIFA 22 was released.

https://www.ea.com/games/fifa/fifa-21/buy/xbox
If you purchase FIFA 21 for PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, you’ll be able to upgrade your copy once you have the corresponding next generation console (PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, or Xbox One to Xbox Series X) at no extra cost by downloading it to your console up until the launch of FIFA 22.

Reactions: JPT
Control Ultimate adds the XSX version as a separate download in the bundle, but I suspect it’s a full, standalone game with an independent game ID. While this may have changed, I do know that PlayAnywhere titles, even those with separate achievements must be inserted into the system at the same time. Perhaps this is no longer the case, or maybe they just kludged a behind the scenes bundling that allows them all to access the same pool of assets. Guess we’ll find out when it goes live

I think what EA is doing is giving you a separate "next gen" version of the game for "free" instead of just having the same game run at higher resolutions/settings on the newer hardware.

What does that mean when you look at Dirt5?
Does Fifa 21 next gen have other features than current gen?

DMC 5 Special edition PS5 load in 4 seconds or less against 24 seconds on PS4

F89mFHC.gif

From a youtube video of a japanese streamer

This is faster than PC version with a SSD. Good optimization 3 to 4 seconds depending of the mission.

Last edited:
>PS5のDMC5はメニューを選択した時点でロードは終わってました。
>早すぎてtipsが読めないのでボタンを押してステージ表示に変わってます。

PS5 version loading is finished before loading screen.
And you need to press button to pass the loading screen now, otherwise you won't have time to see the tips.

SSD NVme but this is the special edition optimized for PS5. Here for example the mission 13 load in 10/11 seconds. From 5:36 to 5:46/47.

But this not Backward compatibility, the optimized version for PS5 with loading 3 to 4 seconds depending of the level.

Ok very impressive outperforming high end nvme pc ;)

Back