Nvidia Ampere Discussion [2020-05-14]

It helps you realise that you won't get any card soon ore in the near future.
You can get one right now. You just need to hunt for it.

You will get a card in march (if you have luck)
Why March? Why not July of 2049?

Maybe we have some luck and the aibs save the chips for 20gb version of ampere and we will see bigger supply when 20gb card arriving.
20GB cards will perform about the same as 10GB ones while their MSRP will be some +100-200 more. They will be in a way smaller demand.

But also some people said that maybe GDDRX 6 is the issue of the supply chain, than the 20gb will make it much worse.
20GB 3080 cards will likely use 2GB chips which aren't even used on 10GB ones. How would they affect the latter supply?

78 delivered cards is under 20% of their orders. They have 78 filled orders and 317 orders waiting to be filled. They have 80 cards incoming, but 15 of those are model that hasn't been bought by any customers yet, so that's only 65 orders that are getting filled.
So 20% filled in less than a month since launch on a product which is absolutely unbeatable in perf/price. Seems fine to me, with more cards and higher volume expected by the end of Oct.
As I've said Nov/Dec is a big unknown as with demand already several times higher than usual it's hard to say if it will be even higher or will remain the same through the holiday season. But I still expect the availability to resolve itself by the end of the year at worst.

This "particular store" is one of the biggest in northern Europe, serving Nordic countries, Germany, Austria and Poland, so it's more than "that store in particular".
Oh so it's stats not only for Denmark but for the most of Northern Europe then? It's even better than I though then.
You do not suggest that this is the only store in these countries selling the cards, are you?

So 20% filled in less than a month since launch on a product which is absolutely unbeatable in perf/price. Seems fine to me, with more cards and higher volume expected by the end of Oct.
As I've said Nov/Dec is a big unknown as with demand already several times higher than usual it's hard to say if it will be even higher or will remain the same through the holiday season. But I still expect the availability to resolve itself by the end of the year at worst.
That was 3090 which you talked about, not 3080.
For 3080 they've filled 384 orders and have 3551 orders waiting, so they've filled under 10% of 3080 orders. They have 135 3080's coming in at the moment.
Oh so it's stats not only for Denmark but for the most of Northern Europe then? It's even better than I though then.
You do not suggest that this is the only store in these countries selling the cards, are you?
No, not just for Denmark, it's for the whole Proshop which includes all countries they operate in. No idea how that could make it any better though, as it clearly shows how bad the supply is when even big multinational stores aren't getting that many cards.
And no, it's not the only shop in any of these countries of course, but it's the only one that has given actual hard numbers on their orders and card supply.
I know only one retailer/etailer in Finland that had any stock on launch, a whooping 50 cards, but after launch there's no data on how many they've gotten.
Not a lot anyway based on the thread we have with people losing their minds on wondering what year their order finally get filled.
NVIDIA's storefront for Finland had probably single digits, our forum, which is by far the biggest and most active on anything computer related in Finland, total of 3 guys got their Founders Editions.
Not sure if Proshops Finnish storefront showed any stock on launch day, but if they did, it wasn't many (again based on same forum)

If it shows the demand across many european countries then it's not as big as I thought and will be satisfied faster overall.
Many european countries, but like you said, there's others too, so that's not all the orders from those countries. Proshop has been brought up because they actually released their numbers.

The architecture is not scaling good. I think they want to switch to tsmc as fast as possible but with a new architecture.

Why do you say that the architecture is not scaling ? Because of the sub-4k results ? It's still the fastest thing out there, they're fine imo. Now, the power consumption is high, but the cooling from nvidia and aibs seems doing a good job at cooling the chip without sounding like a jet engine, so I doubt a lot of people care...

They know what tsmc 7nm is, and they know what 8nm samsung is. Maybe they will switch one day, but I don't think they will doing that in an emergency move....

Last edited:
So production hasn’t ramped up yet and inventories were low at launch? Why did Nvidia bother launching then? There was no reason to rush.

So production hasn’t ramped up yet and inventories were low at launch? Why did Nvidia bother launching then? There was no reason to rush.
Who knows what the issue may have been, but it seems it affected all board partners. At least they expect to have production volumes towards the end of the month.

Who knows what the issue may have been, but it seems it affected all board partners. At least they expect to have production volumes towards the end of the month.

They knew that demand for Turing would drop off a cliff once Ampere pricing was announced. Turing stock at retailers also dried up before the announcement. So if there are no GA104 cards and Ampere production is low what exactly are they selling right now? Lots of 2060’s?

If they wanted to use TSMC they could've. That's about as complex as it is.
At what capacity, though? No-one knows how much capacity TSMC had to offer when NVIDIA was buying theirs, there were several companies who had already running production and probably booked enough for themselves long beforehand.

I have a friend in Poland who worked for the biggest Polish computer shop (x-kom) and now works as a regional rep for big ODM. He used his contacts directly at MSI and Gigabyte to try and get 3 cards for humself, me and my brother at launch. In the end he waited 2 weeks for one Gigabyte card to be allocated to him and we are still waiting for MSI cards to show up.
What it means is that people without connections in the industy are going to wait even longer or have to be lucky to get a card at this moment.
From what I know, these cards are coming in single digit quantities currently, but at least they are arriving regurally from differernt AIB partners.

Last edited:
I have a friend in Poland who worked for the biggest Polish computer shop (x-kom) and now works for A-Data as a regional rep for SW Europe. He used his contacts directly at MSI and Gigabyte to try and get 3 cards for humself, me and my brother at launch. In the end he waited 2 weeks for one Gigabyte card to be allocated to him and we are still waiting for MSI cards to show up.
What it means is that people without connections in the industy are going to wait even longer or have to be lucky to get a card at this moment.
From what I know, these cards are coming in single digit quantities currently, but at least they are arriving regurally from differernt AIB partners.

I do find the supply issue quite peculiar as a whole. I don't remember this level of scarcity before, other than maybe the GTX 480 back in the day. I feel like there is something missing here...?
Was the GA102 chip always meant to be used in the X80 part? or was it originally supposed to be the Titan/3080Ti? with the rumoured GA103 being the 3080? but perhaps big Navi forced their hand? I'm curious to see the supply situation for the 3070.

Did you miss the mining hype? Or the Pascal launch four years ago? Pascal was as non existent as Ampere and it took months to even reach the MSRP.

Turing was released at the tipping point of the mining hype. After that sales of GPUs fell from the cliff...

Did you miss the mining hype? Or the Pascal launch four years ago? Pascal was as non existent as Ampere and it took months to even reach the MSRP.

Turing was released at the tipping point of the mining hype. After that sales of GPUs fell from the cliff...

Are the miners hoarding these cards as well? At least in Europe the Pascal cards had much better availability at launch.

Back