Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the video. It runs at 900p lol. I understand the reason behind the video though.

I genuinely loved this game. For one it was gorgeous in it's day, IMO easily the best looking game of it's time. The gameplay too, was brilliant IMO although I know plenty of people didn't appreciate it.

For me, it's still the best looking Assassin's Creed game.

For me, its the last good Assassins Creed game.

It was certainly great but I enjoyed Syndicate at least as much (although I'm a bit of a London whore), and Origins a bit more - although I modded it's graphics to hell to make it actually look good.

There was also Rogue in amongst those which in pure gameplay terms is probably the best AC they've ever made.

Fascinating.
I never knew that X1X in back compatibility mode could only use 3 of its 6 TFLOPS, as they mentioned in the video. Anyone know why?

They also noted that only the disc version allows them to test this, so this wouldn’t be possible with an XSS. I assume they meant if they only had an XSS / discless system, as couldn’t they copy the unpatched Unity install (from an XSX or even an X1) onto an external drive and plug that into an XSS? Disc aside, does the digital copy download the latest version in a monolithic download, rather than base + (potentially cancellable) updates?

Funny that a flaw of modern games (beta releases) happens to give us an extra tool for technical analysis.

Last edited:
I never knew that X1X in back compatibility mode could only use 3 of its 6 TFLOPS, as they mentioned in the video. Anyone know why?

I blame the butterflies...

For unpatched Xbox One games, they only have half the GPU enabled on One X, similiar to how 4Pro only has half its units enabled on unpatched PS4 games. Unlike the 4Pro, the One X still runs the CPU and GPU at the faster clocks. It likely has to do with number of Shader Engines and how the older game apis/drivers not being able to cope with double the number of them. That is if I still have the setup correct in my mind. It's been a long time.

@TheAlSpark any thoughts?

They also noted that only the disc version allows them to test this, so this wouldn’t be possible with an XSS. I assume they meant if they only had an XSS / discless system, as couldn’t they copy the unpatched Unity install (from an XSX or even an X1) onto an external drive and plug that into an XSS?
The disc contains the license. You can't execute the files installed on on a hard drive without the license, so even if you install to an external drive and plug that into a discless system, you couldn't launch the game.

Maybe No Man's Sky?
Isnt that using the GPU for the planet etc generation?
I assume in part it is. If not then , wow thats impressive

I believe the CPUs in the new consoles is 4x better than last gen, so it shouldnt be a surprise they can double 30fps. Getting to 120fps would prolly be too much though cause unlike the GPU things on the GPU dont generally scale as linearly

edit: actually just had a search for geekbench, CPU change maybe 5x or greater

Last edited:
The disc contains the license. You can't execute the files installed on on a hard drive without the license, so even if you install to an external drive and plug that into a discless system, you couldn't launch the game.
Ah, right. Could you buy the digital copy to use as a license for the unpatched physical install?

Ah, right. Could you buy the digital copy to use as a license for the unpatched physical install?

Yes I believe in Xbox the license is universal between physical and digital. If you own physical and buy the digital you do not need to download the game, the local install works.

Sorry, it's a little OT, but what was the name of the DF member, bold, he was in the team few years ago, I remember him talking about TV / Oleds, and one day, pouf, never see him again. And maybe I miss it, but they didn't talk about him in the live stream.

EDIT : aaah, it was David Bierton.

Last edited:
Isnt that using the GPU for the planet etc generation?
I assume in part it is. If not then , wow thats impressive

I wasn't sure tbh.

Stellaris might be CPU limited once you get a bajillion units. xD

But yeah, just trying to think of a bunch of 60fps titles that had framerate issues at some point, but I'm not sure it's CPU or GPU-related per se (since there's dynamic res or hiccoughs)... COD/BF, Doom/Wolfenstein, NieR Automata. Even Halo MCC isn't perfect depending on the level. Project Cars?

Rainbow Six Siege has the unlocked framerate, so I'd be curious to know how it runs on next gen.

Last edited:
I blame the butterflies...

For unpatched Xbox One games, they only have half the GPU enabled on One X, similiar to how 4Pro only has half its units enabled on unpatched PS4 games. Unlike the 4Pro, the One X still runs the CPU and GPU at the faster clocks. It likely has to do with number of Shader Engines and how the older game apis/drivers not being able to cope with double the number of them. That is if I still have the setup correct in my mind. It's been a long time.

@TheAlSpark any thoughts?

Right, half are available though I wouldn't know if they artificially limit it to 2 shader engines for extra compatibility reasons or if the unpatched titles truly couldn't see more than 2.

It's a pretty big boost for XO titles at least, and they could force up to 16xAF (might have been title-dependent). I expect Anaconda to have a similar effect for Scorpio-aware titles, forcing AF (aside from potentially super sampling or doubling framerates for specifically Enchanted Durango titles).

Last edited:
I feel a bit of pity for the DF crew, people went (even more) insane with them, like diverting all their denialism and frustration with Sony to them.

I understand that thing on Sony's side are late, that all they want to do is not finished yet, but still, there are some parts that should be already working as intended, they could give some units to test those things like Microsoft did. It's bad that the consumer will have to buy the PS5 blind on faith alone.
I want to see already how the backcompat compares with the SeX.

Just to draw attention to this, the article mentions the "Sabrent USB to SATA adapter" which comes in USB 3.0 (5Gbps) and USB 3.1 (10Gbps) versions and in the video, Richard mentions he's using the USB 3.1 version. It is mentioned later in the article but not everybody reads whole articles.

So I'm now going thought the mental hoops of what capacity SSD to buy for Series X. The Samsung 870 QVO SATA SSD looks a good choice for b/c games so 4Tb of 8Tb?. I don't really want to buy a smaller capacity only to have to buy a larger one later because I'm not convinced overall I'll save money. Hmmm.. :neutral:

Treat yourself.

Get a 100 TB SSD. :D It's only 40k USD. :p

Regards,
SB

I feel a bit of pity for the DF crew, people went (even more) insane with them, like diverting all their denialism and frustration with Sony to them.

I understand that thing on Sony's side are late, that all they want to do is not finished yet, but still, there are some parts that should be already working as intended, they could give some units to test those things like Microsoft did. It's bad that the consumer will have to buy the PS5 blind on faith alone.
I want to see already how the backcompat compares with the SeX.

they reached 1 million subs, people complaining and insulting them might represent 0,01% of the subs. They are just very vocal. Just gotta ignore them.

We have gameplay

dont' envy their position here.
Total of 13 modes that need to be tested for this one.
XBO, PS4, X1X Quality+Performance, 4Pro Quality+Performance, XSS, XSX Quality/Perf/120, PS5 Quality/Perf/120

yikes.

Game looks great to me. I'm a bit miffed by the negative views of this title. It does look cross gen, but the scale of work they are taking on is fairly large. Terrain deformation, the snow, the lighting models, mud, dirt build up, destructible terrain. All quite nice package being put together here. Not a typical next gen experience, but they put the power to work elsewhere as opposed to the typical elements. I think I'm going to pick this one up, looks like a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back