Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

So I guess PSVR is dead in the water in what PS5 VR games is concerned, if they didn't bother to make the new Camera compatible with it?

So I guess PSVR is dead in the water in what PS5 VR games is concerned, if they didn't bother to make the new Camera compatible with it?

I think that the new camera must have some sensors that would explain the DualSense not having the LED light for tracking.

And if you already have PSVR you must have the old camera so you can use that.

When the new PSVR comes out, the new camera will be able to track the controller and probably new Move without the LED light.

Sony is offering the PS Camera USB adapter to every PSVR user.
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/09/ps4-games-on-ps5-your-top-questions-answered/

Also, the PS5 HD Camera is not compatible with PS VR on PS5. You’ll need to use the PS Camera (for PS4), and the PS Camera adaptor (no purchase required), to use PS VR on PS5.

At the moment I think it's unclear whether they're simply shipping the adapter in the PS5 box or we need to somehow prove we own a PSVR to get the adapter for free.

So whomever got to play with PSVR on the PS4 (where they needed the camera anyway), will play with it on the PS5.

What does seem to be dead in the water is the new Camera. If we can't use it for PSVR and there are no games claiming to make use of it, why would anyone buy it?
So far, they've only said we'll be able to use the camera to do streaming (I'm guessing the console will automatically join the gameplay and camera videos in one picture-in-picture stream). But realistically, most streamers will prefer to use their Elgato HDMI-in devices so they can use higher-end cameras.

Then again, Sony is still being awfully secretive about the new UX, and it could be that the new camera is an important piece of it.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/09/ps4-games-on-ps5-your-top-questions-answered/

At the moment I think it's unclear whether they're simply shipping the adapter in the PS5 box or we need to somehow prove we own a PSVR to get the adapter for free.

So whomever got to play with PSVR on the PS4 (where they needed the camera anyway), will play with it on the PS5.

What does seem to be dead in the water is the new Camera. If we can't use it for PSVR and there are no games claiming to make use of it, why would anyone buy it?
So far, they've only said we'll be able to use the camera to do streaming (I'm guessing the console will automatically join the gameplay and camera videos in one picture-in-picture stream). But realistically, most streamers will prefer to use their Elgato HDMI-in devices so they can use higher-end cameras.

Then again, Sony is still being awfully secretive about the new UX, and it could be that the new camera is an important piece of it.

Pretty sure it must have to do with the fact that tracking DualSense and the new motion controllers is not done via LED light bar, which the DualSense doesn’t have. So the ‘next gen VR’ games - whatever they are, whenever they’re ready - will need the new camera? Who knows.

I know there is the adapter. But if the new Camera is not compatible with PSVR games that tells me there are no plans to have PS5 games compatible with PSVR, just PS4 games. Otherwise why not make the new camera compatible?

Pretty sure it must have to do with the fact that tracking DualSense and the new motion controllers is not done via LED light bar, which the DualSense doesn’t have. So the ‘next gen VR’ games - whatever they are, whenever they’re ready - will need the new camera? Who knows.

I don't think the new PSVR2 will use outside tracking, given the industry is going the inside out tracking way. But if the new camera does not support PSVR I can't see why there would be PS5 PSVR games at all then.

I don't think the new PSVR2 will use outside tracking, given the industry is going the inside out tracking way. But if the new camera does not support PSVR I can't see why there would be PS5 PSVR games at all then.

Then... what’s the new camera for? #confused

I know there is the adapter. But if the new Camera is not compatible with PSVR games that tells me there are no plans to have PS5 games compatible with PSVR, just PS4 games. Otherwise why not make the new camera compatible?

I'm fine with this being the case, as it's saved me £50, but now I'm unsure what the new camera is really for. Perhaps it's as simple as the PS4 camera being inherently emulated, so it's not worth spending resources on PS5 camera compatibility due to such compatibility being destined for PSVR2. Or perhaps PSVR2 will use something other than the camera. Maybe both with body tracking.

They want the PS5's VR experience to be based around PSVR2, that much seems obvious to me. PSVR1 is an extremely limited experience due to the very low resolution on the headset. PSVR1 working on PS5 is just Sony's means to guarantee backwards compatibility with PS4.
I think we'll hear more about PSVR2 in the beginning of 2021, perhaps CES. It might be part of Sony's value proposition for holidays 2021.

They want the PS5's VR experience to be based around PSVR2, that much seems obvious to me. PSVR1 is an extremely limited experience due to the very low resolution on the headset. PSVR1 working on PS5 is just Sony's means to guarantee backwards compatibility with PS4.
I think we'll hear more about PSVR2 in the beginning of 2021, perhaps CES. It might be part of Sony's value proposition for holidays 2021.

I hope Sony will be using RGB subpixels again. So they can be lower resolution than competitors but looks way better. Or higher resolution than competitors and blows competitors away.

PSVR is only 1080p but looks way better than oculus quest. Due to RGB subpixels on psvr and pentile on quest.

I hope Sony will be using RGB subpixels again. So they can be lower resolution than competitors but looks way better. Or higher resolution than competitors and blows competitors away.

PSVR is only 1080p but looks way better than oculus quest. Due to RGB subpixels on psvr and pentile on quest.

Well at least the original PSVR and the original Quest. The newer model of the PSVR seems a step back, and from everything I’ve seen of the new Quest, that has taken a big step forward.

I’m looking forward to PSVR2, but it’s probably still a while off.

The Camera is likely ready for it when it does come and *if* it actually needs it for tracking at all, as streaming is a bigger thing, I expect the new camera to be especially targeted at that primarily.

Would expect the new DualSense and camera to be able to see each other using infrared though.

I think that the new camera must have some sensors that would explain the DualSense not having the LED light for tracking.

And if you already have PSVR you must have the old camera so you can use that.

When the new PSVR comes out, the new camera will be able to track the controller and probably new Move without the LED light.
The camera is still a dual-lens solution, with superior resolution.
It's not an integer ratio of the PS4 camera, but would it be difficult to map a larger resolution dual camera to a more limited expected input?
If the camera modes don't align, or there's some low-level interface that is being deprecated, that might be a technical barrier.

I don't know if there's a non-technical reason, maybe to conserve supplies of the camera for whatever PSVR2 comes out rather than people buying the PS5 camera for the old PSVR?

If there are new sensors, a teardown post-launch could find them pretty quickly.

It’s not in the box because such a small % own PSVR and will buy PS5, much cheaper to send or maybe let shops have stock they can hand out.

Back