Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

To be fair the PS5 didn't really dedicate anything at all to the cooling of the SSD. The chips merely contacted the plate with thermal paste.

yea but the plate and heatsink attached is extremely large with a lot of air flow.. I'm speaking more to the add on nvme drive. I have 2 and they get extremely hot and they are in a case with good air flow. The nvme drive on the ps5 is in its own sealed section of plastic and metal.

Yea a lot of them have a heatsink on the nand also or heat spreading tape

The flash still has to go through its own controller before making its way to the internal ps5 controller doesn't it ?

That would also be my question. How much of it is overloaded to the ps5 ssd con if at all.

"...but our custom io unit has to arbitrate the extra priorities (2 pc vs 6 ps5) rather than the m2 drive's flash controller..."

yea but the plate and heatsink attached is extremely large with a lot of air flow.. I'm speaking more to the add on nvme drive. I have 2 and they get extremely hot and they are in a case with good air flow. The nvme drive on the ps5 is in its own sealed section of plastic and metal.

At least the PS5 seems to have a tall clearance to get some heatsink action in there if really needed.

just requoting this again from Tottz message here.
Orange is mine. This makes no sense to me. Shouldn't all titles receive increased loading speeds? Why write it like this.
My only guess is that BC mode that for titles that don't support boost mode, for whatever reason, means the CPU is being slowed to PS4 config. So the I/O can't really go any faster if they are limited.

We know there are some games which are not showing as much of a loading boost as others, for example DF's results for RDR2 on Series X are perplexing and there probably are other games where even if the I/O is much faster, performance is bottlenecked in other ways. The issue with promising "increased loading speeds" across the board also depends on what you have now. It's really easy to change the internal drive in PS4 and PS4 Pro and some people already have decent SSDs in their consoles. These do not realise their full I/O potential but for these folks, I suspect some games will not be much faster on PS5 because of the aforementioned issue. If you start sticking all these caveats in, it gets real messy, real fast.

The wording they used is awkward, but this feels parr for the course for launching PS5! :LOL:

So they can charge you the extra 15-30$!
NVME slots locations in many motherboards are sub-optimal because of their proximity to most heat producing components like CPUs and GPUs

It seems to me that every Sony statement must go to their lawyers before posting. They had many lawsuits because of "false advertisement", OtherOS lawsuit as an example.
That's why they couldn't confirm 100% compatibility after the Road to PS5 "miscommunication".

I think so too. Like they feel they need to say “more than 99%” of games work, when only 10 out of 4500 (99.8%) don’t. Better safe than sorry.

I mean, they got sued for false advertising by some idiot because the last Killzone wasn’t *really* 1080p in multiplayer. They’ve been super anal with these things for a while.

Yeah, better safe than sorry. I only wonder what games will not be compatible and if that, even if it is ridiculously low percentage, it will have a big impact because some important games may be included in it... but nah, I don't think that's the case, and if by chance it were, I'm sure they'll work on it to fix it.

Honestly, you don't have a right to complain later when some of us say certain things. :cool:

So yeah. So far, I'm guessing the expansion nvme you buy won't really need uber heatsinks because of the PS5 ssd controller already having its own cooling.

Who knows. Maybe there are s/w or h/w bugs that makes the non sony nvme heat up like crazy when partnered with the ps5 ssd controller.

The PS5 SSD controller does not control 3rd party devices over the PCIe bus, SSD controllers only control flash chips they are directly connected to. Any logic allowing the two to appear as a unified storage volume (or not but Cerny's comments imply it will be) are happening at the O/S level

So the back compat thing and moving your PS4 games to PS5 will work as planned. Need to buy a 2tb ssd and a sata<>usb converter to put my ps4 games on it, and I'll retire my ps4 pro.

We know there are some games which are not showing as much of a loading boost as others, for example DF's results for RDR2 on Series X are perplexing and there probably are other games where even if the I/O is much faster, performance is bottlenecked in other ways. The issue with promising "increased loading speeds" across the board also depends on what you have now. It's really easy to change the internal drive in PS4 and PS4 Pro and some people already have decent SSDs in their consoles. These do not realise their full I/O potential but for these folks, I suspect some games will not be much faster on PS5 because of the aforementioned issue. If you start sticking all these caveats in, it gets real messy, real fast.

The wording they used is awkward, but this feels parr for the course for launching PS5! :LOL:

Could be that some games have ridiculous bugs (or design decision) with "race conditions" that doesn't expect the game to finish loading in just 1 seconds.

It kinda sounds like the PS4 BC on PS5 will be limited to PS4 Pro resolutions. Their press release suggests that boost mode will only effect the framerate of unlock games. Similar to what we saw with the DigitalFoundry Xbox Series X BC that was shown so far.

It's a shame we won't see further advancements to PS4 games. Would have thought it'd be a fairly easy fix too, since the hardware is so similar just at much higher frequencies.

Ps2 and ps3 did not enhance last gen games either. That's how you separate générations.

It's not something that I've ever been fussed about before, I just think Microsoft have done such a fantastic job of it that it'd be a great feature for PlayStation too. It'd be impossible for them to compete at the same level.

Four generations of games on one console is definitely a desirable feature.

Au contraire if you hated your eyeballs and art both you could turn on awful "smoothing" filters for your PS2 on the PS3 and it used the faster speed of the BD drive to speed up loading slightly (at least it did on my OG PS3 when I played GoW on it) :D
Yeah, you're milage would vary with the couple of graphics options running PS2 games on European PS3. PS2 GTA did look slightly less bad on larger TVs though. "Game Boost" sounds better than "Slighty Less Bad" mode! :LOL:

Sony announced today that the transferability of PS4 saves to PS5 upgraded games was a decision made solely by the developers.
There seems to be something different in the situations between the two platforms. Perhaps Microsoft is incentivizing cross-gen links or directing it for certain things like smart delivery, or there could be different technical costs or obstacles. Why would we have an example of a multi-platform game making very different choices based on platform if all else was equal?

I think the contact between the heatsink and EM plate is likely limited, and the thermal pads for the SSD look pretty thick. They may just be enough to avoid overly high temperatures, but not enough to keep the SSD very cool. I think the heatsink itself is impeding at least some airflow for the plate, since the PS5 seems to seal at least part of the heatsink and plate around the fan with foam.

Are game save files discrete files that you can copy or even examine in the PS4 UI?

Seems like games are auto-save. Oh I guess many games have options to load a particular save file. Never looked at those but presumably you can select them and have options to copy them somewhere.

You hope there are enough good native games so few people would bother playing PS4 games, unless the developers released patches to make them play with higher resolution and graphics on the PS5. But we know they will monetize by coming out with remastered version, which is fine too.

If they offered a patched or remastered UC4, I'd check it out but otherwise, no reason to install UC4 on limited SSD storage space unless you never played it before.

Are game save files discrete files that you can copy or even examine in the PS4 UI?

Seems like games are auto-save. Oh I guess many games have options to load a particular save file. Never looked at those but presumably you can select them and have options to copy them somewhere.

You hope there are enough good native games so few people would bother playing PS4 games, unless the developers released patches to make them play with higher resolution and graphics on the PS5. But we know they will monetize by coming out with remastered version, which is fine too.

If they offered a patched or remastered UC4, I'd check it out but otherwise, no reason to install UC4 on limited SSD storage space unless you never played it before.

Er, yes.
Here's my Death Stranding files.
upload_2020-10-11_3-12-21.png

Ps2 and ps3 did not enhance last gen games either. That's how you separate générations.

Au contraire if you hated your eyeballs and art both you could turn on awful "smoothing" filters for your PS2 on the PS3 and it used the faster speed of the BD drive to speed up loading slightly (at least it did on my OG PS3 when I played GoW on it) :D

Also some games ran at a higher FPS, I remember testing The Getaway

Back