Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Not to go backwards to the ssd because i know its been a few pages. However I wonder if anyone will take up the task and perhaps create a plastic shell with the area for the nvme drive cut out. That way you can put a larger heat sink on the drive or even active cooling ?

Not to go backwards to the ssd because i know its been a few pages. However I wonder if anyone will take up the task and perhaps create a plastic shell with the area for the nvme drive cut out. That way you can put a larger heat sink on the drive or even active cooling ?
I’m sure the 3D printing crowd will go wild. Some will probably run it without the shell even.

Further speculation that it wasn’t planned ahead of time is that they didn’t bother to mic the guy. The likelyhood it was shot on a phone or a camera they had lying around is high. The subtitles were also full of errors and awkward English. None of that says planned.

And the damaged the thing. :)

I'm interested in another pov/question.
What's the chance that gigantic nvme isn't necessary since the PS5 custom controller, with its own cooling solution already in the PS5, might take majority of the tasks of the nvme controller?

I'm interested in another pov/question.
What's the chance that gigantic nvme isn't necessary since the PS5 custom controller, with its own cooling solution already in the PS5, might take majority of the tasks of the nvme controller?
Its the nand chips that get hot on my m.2 drives (one is sata one is nvme 3) so i don't think the controller has anything to do with it.

That's wrong, SSDs' controllers get the most heat and cooling the NAND flash can actually degrade it

interesting but seems counter to what the manufacturers are doing. Why would they cut operating life down by half and increase costs by slapping a heatsink on them ?

interesting but seems counter to what the manufacturers are doing. Why would they cut operating life down by half and increase costs by slapping a heatsink on them ?

Slapping a heatsink on them is fine, but just don't have them contact the flash.

What is the PS4 game experience like on PS5?
PS4 titles get even better on PS5. Select PS4 titles will see increased loading speeds on the PS5 console, and will also leverage Game Boost, offering improved or more stable frame rates. Some titles with unlocked frame rates or dynamic resolution up to 4K may see higher fidelity. Additionally, PS4 games will also take advantage of some of PS5’s new UX features, but more to come on that later.
just requoting this again from Tottz message here.
Orange is mine. This makes no sense to me. Shouldn't all titles receive increased loading speeds? Why write it like this.
My only guess is that BC mode that for titles that don't support boost mode, for whatever reason, means the CPU is being slowed to PS4 config. So the I/O can't really go any faster if they are limited.

So they can charge you the extra 15-30$!
NVME slots locations in many motherboards are sub-optimal because of their proximity to most heat producing components like CPUs and GPUs
Orange is mine. This makes no sense to me. Shouldn't all titles receive increased loading speeds? Why write it like this.
My only guess is that BC mode that for titles that don't support boost mode, for whatever reason, means the CPU is being slowed to PS4 config. So the I/O can't really go any faster if they are limited.
It seems to me that every Sony statement must go to their lawyers before posting. They had many lawsuits because of "false advertisement", OtherOS lawsuit as an example.
That's why they couldn't confirm 100% compatibility after the Road to PS5 "miscommunication".

It seems to me that every Sony statement must go to their lawyers before posting. They had many lawsuits because of "false advertisement", OtherOS lawsuit as an example.
That's why they couldn't confirm 100% compatibility after the Road to PS5 "miscommunication".
Fair enough.

Isn't this just confirming one of their backward compatible patents that was discovered years ago?

I think it's this one...

Shortbread said:
Backwards compatibility unofficially confirmed for PS5?

Images

Inventors: Cerny; Mark Evan (Burbank, CA), Simpson; David (Los Angeles, CA)
Filed: January 20, 2017
Cerny , et al. October 16, 2018
Simulating legacy bus behavior for backwards compatibility

Abstract

To address problems that arise due to differences in bus behavior when running a legacy application on a new device the new device may throttle bus performance in a way that emulates the bus behavior of a legacy device when executing the legacy application.
Bus throttling on the new system may be based on estimated bandwidth allocations determined from behavior of the legacy bus. Bus traffic may be throttled by limiting the amount of available bus bandwidth allocated for particular bus transactions according to amounts estimated from the legacy bus behavior. The bus traffic is throttled so that the new device allocates at least as much bandwidth as would have been allocated by the legacy system, but not so much more that synchronization errors arise in execution of a legacy application. The throttling can be tuned while running legacy applications on the new device to determine how much additional bandwidth allocation causes problems with execution.
FIG. 1 shows an example a new device configured to account for differences in bus architecture between a legacy device and the new device when running applications written for the legacy device. In this example, the new device may include a multicore CPU and a multicore GPU coupled to a common memory 106 and I/O access controller 108. Each CPU or GPU core is coupled to a level 2 cache 110 and bus interface unit 112 via backside buses (BSB.sub.1, BSB.sub.2). The level 2 cache 110 is coupled to the memory 106 and I/O access controller 108 by a frontside bus (FSB). Additional memory (not shown), peripheral devices 114, video 116, and data storage devices 118 interface with the CPU and GPU through the access controller by various busses. The CPU and GPU may include configurable registers 105 for temporary storage of data and/or instructions. A legacy version of the device in FIG. 1 might have a different architecture, e.g., one in which there are separate busses for the CPU and GPU and in which there are separate controllers for memory and I/O access.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2046603/

Tommy McClain

Some here already implied "marketing" $.

So yeah. So far, I'm guessing the expansion nvme you buy won't really need uber heatsinks because of the PS5 ssd controller already having its own cooling.

Who knows. Maybe there are s/w or h/w bugs that makes the non sony nvme heat up like crazy when partnered with the ps5 ssd controller.

Slapping a heatsink on them is fine, but just don't have them contact the flash.
Yea a lot of them have a heatsink on the nand also or heat spreading tape

Some here already implied "marketing" $.

So yeah. So far, I'm guessing the expansion nvme you buy won't really need uber heatsinks because of the PS5 ssd controller already having its own cooling.

Who knows. Maybe there are s/w or h/w bugs that makes the non sony nvme heat up like crazy when partnered with the ps5 ssd controller.

The flash still has to go through its own controller before making its way to the internal ps5 controller doesn't it ?

Yea a lot of them have a heatsink on the nand also or heat spreading tape

The flash still has to go through its own controller before making its way to the internal ps5 controller doesn't it ?

To be fair the PS5 didn't really dedicate anything at all to the cooling of the SSD. The chips merely contacted the plate with thermal paste.

Back