Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Just spitballing but I'm guessing these games may use APIs that perhaps they should not, or just use very rarely used APIs which are problematic from a b/c perspective. And having seen this list I could very much understand why Sony have have decided not to put any effort into making them work.

More likely, some software are hitting an undefined behaviour or corner cases with implementation dependent details in hardware ...

More likely, some software are hitting an undefined behaviour or corner cases with implementation dependent details in hardware ...
Yup. Anything Sony either knew about (or did not) but was so edge-case in low numbers it just wasn't economical to accommodate.

1. I wonder if there are many PS4 with HDDs that can max out a half decent WiFi connection ...

2. I wonder if the point is that this is besides doing it through an external drive as was previously done. I definitely see advantages using this method over needing an additional drive.

3. I’m sure there could also have security considerations as it is a way to limit the transfer to being nearby.

4. From the way the PS5 is designed, after watching the teardown, those noise levels certainly seem plausible. And yes, a PS4 Pro with clogged vents at full power does sound very similar to a vacuum cleaner. I know from experience (but I just vacuumed it so that helped). So that doesn’t discredit that post in any bit ;).

5. The PS5 certainly seems designed to be able to hold a third party SSD without a need for an additional cooler. The advertisement that mentions getting a cooler for your use in PC also suggests as much.

6. Those games that don’t make the cut for PS5 compatibility don’t actually have to have a technical reason. More often than not, it’s a licensing issue where the license terms only cover a specific platform.

7. The PS4 UI could very well be the PS5 UI. Both may be updated after the PS5 launch, just like the trophy system is updating for everyone now including the PS4. This also makes life easier for developers, testers and so on.

That said, I would really like a more obviously pointer driven UI that works nicer for VR and that allows you to use pointers in the browser, etc. But that would be nice for both platforms as well.

I look forward to this next gen ... :)

Oh and ...

8. Will be interesting to see how prices on generic but PS5 compatible SSDs and those Xbox expansion cards go down over time.

Sony said:
What is the PS4 game experience like on PS5?
PS4 titles get even better on PS5. Select PS4 titles will see increased loading speeds on the PS5 console, and will also leverage Game Boost, offering improved or more stable frame rates. Some titles with unlocked frame rates or dynamic resolution up to 4K may see higher fidelity. Additionally, PS4 games will also take advantage of some of PS5’s new UX features, but more to come on that later.

Games with unlocked framerates and/or dynamic resolution will take advantage of a GPU that essentially runs the same code but at 2.45x faster clocks, and a CPU that also runs the same code but at 2.25x faster clocks.

I wonder why they're being so secretive about the UX features.

Ok so this is pretty clear then:

How do PS4 game transfers and game saves work between the two consoles?

You can transfer digital games, game data, and game saves from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using LAN cables, or by connecting wirelessly (WiFi). If you’ve already stored PS4 games and game data in the external USB storage device connected to your PS4, you can bring them over to PS5 with that external USB storage device. And if you are a PS Plus member, you can also sync PS4 game saves on PS5 through cloud storage.

Please note that the ability to transfer game saves between a PS4 version and a PS5 version of the same game is a developer decision, and will vary title by title for cross-generational games.

Oh and pretty interesting that you can remote play the PS4 from the PS5 too.

I think DF are sulking, no offence but they’ve not even covered the tear-down, if this was XSX they’d have a video up in no time.

The teardown was published without warning, and they had a livestream with the whole team hours after. They talked about it there.
What they can do? Sony is giving access to no one, they have nothing to talk about, or you want them to start talking about and creating rumors out of nowhere like other channels do?

Ok so this is pretty clear then
I'm not sure it is. Particulalr this bit:

Please note that the ability to transfer game saves between a PS4 version and a PS5 version of the same game is a developer decision, and will vary title by title for cross-generational games.​

This contradicts what some developers have said and I believe developers like CodeMasters more than I believe Sony.

Please note that the ability to transfer game saves between a PS4 version and a PS5 version of the same game is a developer decision, and will vary title by title for cross-generational games.​

This contradicts what some developers have said and I believe developers like CodeMasters more than I believe Sony.
I haven't read anything in that article saying it was because of Sony. The devs don't give any explanation.

It's a "developer decision" hence they'd have to implement this feature for their own software ...

If you purchased a game on PSN, wouldn't you be able to re-download to the PS5?

Or if you popped in a PS4 disc into the PS5 it will just reinstall the bits and download any available patches?

But no easy way to transfer saves on your PS4 to the PS5?

There are PS5 consoles in the wild, everybody is under NDA. When people can talk you'll get the usual "so we're had these for a few weeks now.." comments. :rolleyes:

I imagine Sony will wait until Microsoft their completed their phased embargo reveal then we'll get some hands on impressions. I'm less interesting in people's impressions than I am seeing the UI, functionality and seeing some actual numbers for performance of external drives. We've seen this for Series X and I was disappointed but at the same time I was expecting to be disappointed, but still disappointed there wasn't a more pronounced (and inexplicable) magical boost :(

The only thing that has surprised me about Series X is some of the gaps in backwards compatibility just a few weeks from launch. Alannah Pearce mentioned that Forza Horizon 4 wasn't compatible and I literally did this.. :runaway: Then I got over it and had some Shredded Wheat. :yep2:

I would assume the full on Series X upgrade version has taken priority over the BC patch

The teardown was published without warning, and they had a livestream with the whole team hours after. They talked about it there.
What they can do? Sony is giving access to no one, they have nothing to talk about, or you want them to start talking about and creating rumors out of nowhere like other channels do?

Further speculation that it wasn’t planned ahead of time is that they didn’t bother to mic the guy. The likelyhood it was shot on a phone or a camera they had lying around is high. The subtitles were also full of errors and awkward English. None of that says planned.

A simple breakdown as made by NX gamer shouldn’t be too hard surely.
I think it's coming tomorrow or the day after. DF is pretty thorough, if they want to make a video about it and provide commentary, they're going to add more commentary then what NX Gamer does.
They'll talk about the chips, trace back history, bring together all the discussion points etc.

They'll do quick reaction videos if they know something is coming, but when they can't they'll do something more investigative. Give them a chance, I think you'll see if they do a tear down video it's going to have more information.

DF is the type of journalism that needs embargos to help them out. Otherwise everyone would just be racing to throw out random content to snatch up views. Which is basically what happens all so much and why I prefer DF's approach.

Back