Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

This is interesting:

Does it mean that it does throttle without the heatsink, if it gets too hot? If the heatsink fits in the PS5 then no harm done. But if it doesn't, that raises questions.

If Sony are suggesting 7 GB/s NVME drives because they expect performance under load to be throttled and lower than that while in the PS5, then throttling is nothing to worry about as long as the drive doesn't throttle below some minimum performance level.

Regards,
SB

If Sony are suggesting 7 GB/s NVME drives because they expect performance under load to be throttled and lower than that while in the PS5, then throttling is nothing to worry about as long as the drive doesn't throttle below some minimum performance level.

Regards,
SB

The 7GB/s demand isn't due to throttling, it's due to higher controller overhead because the NVMe standard provides less priority lanes with less granularity than the PS5's custom controller.

Why would you want to do that? Wouldn't a straight wired connection between the 2 be faster, at gigabit speeds?
I'd happily do that (or over USB?) but if they specified 'over wifi' and nothing else on their support page, you know what Sony is like.......

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/el...next-gen-progress-carry-over-explanation-news

Another game whose upgrade cannot migrate saves from PS4 to PS5, very notable that only those modes that are online dependent and rely on backend progress tracking (Volta + FUT) can have progression carried between versions
Are there examples of PS4 games that can interact with data from other PS4 games?
The platforms may be designed to key data to a specific application, making a given game's saves invisible to any other application. A PS5 version of a PS4 game would probably be given a separate ID, for cloud and patch update purposes.
If the platform doesn't provide a means of linking what the console would consider separate applications, then only games that have a data back end under external control would have a way of making the data visible and knowing which games are linked. Whether a game with its own cloud saves is providing the same file to both versions or internally converting them is abstracted from the console.
Providing a more general platform method would likely require some thought and engineering to be invested into infrastructure and platform design changes, and that's not a space where Sony's leading.

Why would you want to do that? Wouldn't a straight wired connection between the 2 be faster, at gigabit speeds?
Does Sony put an ethernet cable in their console boxes? If the PS5 doesn't come with an ethernet cable it may be an option for convenience or minimal-effort transfer. If someone's setup is mostly wireless or the wires are tangled behind an entertainment center, there may not be a cable readily accessible.

I think DF are sulking, no offence but they’ve not even covered the tear-down, if this was XSX they’d have a video up in no time.

Perhaps they are busy with something else. :-|

Seemingly an odd set of titles for PS4 Only.

Just spitballing but I'm guessing these games may use APIs that perhaps they should not, or just use very rarely used APIs which are problematic from a b/c perspective. And having seen this list I could very much understand why Sony have have decided not to put any effort into making them work.

Perhaps they are busy with something else. :-|

Funnily enough Leadbetter even jokingly suggested that people might accuse them of not getting to the teardown quickly enough. His intuition was correct.

Edit: on their million subscriber video.

Just spitballing but I'm guessing these games may use APIs that perhaps they should not, or just use very rarely used APIs which are problematic from a b/c perspective. And having seen this list I could very much understand why Sony have have decided not to put any effort into making them work.

hm.... libgnmx? That was the higher level one that was more akin to DX, IIRC. I suppose it'd be more about supporting it on PS5 than being a particular problem (compared to the lower-level, but probably more often-used libgnm).

As was mentioned in the DF live stream (which happened mere hours after the surprise release of the PS5 teardown), Rich said he is in the middle of a video about XSX and was wondering if he should finish it or switch to the PS5 tear down.

There are actual reasons why things happen one way or the other. Not everything is a conspiracy or a trait born of fanboyism. They are shorthanded and working as fast as they can.

PS: Also, this is not neogaf for that kind of nonsense.

They’re busy and thorough. They’ve never chased to be the first one to release a video either. They are usually a day or two back.

mom not saying conspiracy or anything, but they are clearly not getting the attention MS are giving them!

It’s pretty big news, no reason not to do a quick response video within 24 hours - they did with the XSS reveal where they not only showed the old video they made but also wrapped it with an intro and some afterthoughts.

A simple breakdown as made by NX gamer shouldn’t be too hard surely.

Is there a technical reason why Dualshock won't be supported for PS5 games or on startup, they check to see which types of controllers are paired and stop execution if there aren't Dualsense controllers paired?

That is, it's a business decision to push people towards buying Dualsense controllers?

Is there a technical reason why Dualshock won't be supported for PS5 games or on startup, they check to see which types of controllers are paired and stop execution if there aren't Dualsense controllers paired?

That is, it's a business decision to push people towards buying Dualsense controllers?
It would be a mess due to the extra features, think using a DS3 on PS4 and having to press the touch pad or options button (etc).

PS4 -> PS4 Pro title transition was made with the ethernet cable. I think using the GbE for PS4 / Pro -> PS5 will also be possible.
The WiFi transmission might be interesting for PS5 <-> PS5, since the new WiFi 6 modem in the new console should provide for ~1.5Gb/s, which is 50% more than the wired 1Gb/s.

In fact, I think for those with a new and decent WiFi 802.11ax router, PS5 owners might be better off using WiFi than the ethernet cable, as long as there's good signal at 5GHz.

The only real oddity I see there is Robinson. It's a fairly popular VR game from Crytek.
It's a bit of a shame if we won't be able to play Robinson on PSVR2. Perhaps their intent is to launch a proper PS5 update.

And we can transfer games via wifi from our PS4!
Woohoo I'll have P.T. running in my PS5! :D

Are there examples of PS4 games that can interact with data from other PS4 games?
I think the Mass Effect Trilogy titles can get the choice data from their predecessor, using its savegames.

hm.... libgnmx? That was the higher level one that was more akin to DX, IIRC. I suppose it'd be more about supporting it on PS5 than being a particular problem (compared to the lower-level, but probably more often-used libgnm).
I was thinking some specific API functions rather than an entire API layer, there must surely be more titles using GNMX than the oddball collection here but who knows! :runaway:

What percentage will actually run better than PS4 Pro? And what percentage run significantly better? And what does 'significantly' mean!?!

But this is good news. I expected as much, but it is reassuring to have Sony confirm this.

Back