NextGen Audio: Tempest Engine, Project Acoustics, Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos, DTS X

I personally thought it was very clear and I thought I summed it up quite well.

The issue with TV sound is Sony clearly state 3D audio is not ready for TVs yet - as such they won’t send the 3D signal. Once TVs are supported then the optical out should be fine.
hmm...good info here. so basically no 3d audio pass through at the moment. I'll just use the controller for the most part anyway.

The issue with TV sound is Sony clearly state 3D audio is not ready for TVs yet - as such they won’t send the 3D signal. Once TVs are supported then the optical out should be fine.

TV sound.... anyone seriously gaming is not going to use that anyway. I hope.

If sony is at all smart they would just have headphone setting that can be enabled. Then whatever audio user takes out would be the 2 channel hrtf processed output. That would allow the audio to go through correctly no matter what output/chain of devices is used. If user wants to have 5.1 or whatnot setup then choose that from settings.

The problem here is if someone (or maybe their kid, spouse, or roomate) enabled that for HDMI to their receiver or TV but don't use headphones. They'd get a pretty crappy audio experience then, and even if it's technically their fault for not using headphones, Sony would end up getting the blame. Although if someone did it without telling them, you can't blame them for not wearing headphones and thus having a crappy audio experience on their brand new PS5 hooked up to their 1000+ USD TV and 1000+ USD receiver.

Regards,
SB

Unless people have high impedance headphones, plugging into the controller should be the ideal solution anyway.
I believe the issue is that the compression involved means it’s not ideal - personally I suffer from tinnitus so it’s no biggie, but I wanted to achieve a totally wireless solution and hopefully I’ve achieved it with the Arctis 7x and USB switch.

I'm not native English speaker, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't say anything about TV sound. Sorry for confusion if my post wasn't clear enough.

some of us send hdmi directly to the TV, the TV sends everything back to the receiver and you go from there.

Exactly this is the idea behind eARC, so it would be surprising if Sony prohibits 3D audio going through HDMI because of some silly reasons.

Like everything with audio it's a mess, currently eARC only supports older compressed formats, there is a new even fancier eARC that supports lossless and possibly even working consistently! I suspect whenever they finish rolling out the full Tempest including virtual surround for TVs the support for sending it over HDMI will come too, they're likely holding it back to prevent folks trying to set it up on their TVs on launch and declaring it sucks.

The thought that Sony would simply ignore anyone with a decent surround setup (with height channels) and continue to output standard 5.1/7.1 as well as their 3D Audio to headphones and whatnot is just very disappointing. What's the point in spending so much time and money in creating a totally 3D soundscape and then not allowing people with a proper setup to experience that? WTF Sony!

I can understand the frustration especially as Sony has been traditionally pretty good at pushing audio, my apologies if it was touched on in the thread previously but I can't help but suspect that this ultimately is some kind of licensing row. Always weird to me that Dolby Atmos is a paid app on the X1S and not just a standard feature

I can understand the frustration especially as Sony has been traditionally pretty good at pushing audio, my apologies if it was touched on in the thread previously but I can't help but suspect that this ultimately is some kind of licensing row. Always weird to me that Dolby Atmos is a paid app on the X1S and not just a standard feature
But technically they don't even need to license Atmos. They could license dts-x - as any atmos receiver supports that too - or not license anything and just send a pure 5.1.4 (for example) bitstream direct so that at least we get to use our additional channels, as it's currently done with the PS4 for movie playback of Atmos soundtracks.

It is free. It is a standard function.

Do not confuse paying Dolby Atmos for Headphones with normal Dolby Atmos. You're paying for Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

There could be some unneeded confusion on the audio due to sony marketing approach. Sony is pushing user specific hrtf function for headphones. This is something that tries to take consideration shape of user's head&ear and produce "perfect" audio. hrtf outside heaphones is unsolved problem afaik.

Perhaps sony has traditional non hrtf 3d audio enabled solution for non headphone users. Headphones would likely be the much better/real sounding solution though. Cerny said in long term sony would look to tackle also better 3d audio via regular speakers but that is something that might never manifest if it turns out to be unsolvable challenge in uncontrolled environments.

Last edited:
Yeah, its not explicitly clear. I think its the same with the DTS:X app, but I haven't verified that. I use Atmos Headphones or Windows Sonic Headphones (free).

I'm not native English speaker, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't say anything about TV sound. Sorry for confusion if my post wasn't clear enough.

Exactly this is the idea behind eARC, so it would be surprising if Sony prohibits 3D audio going through HDMI because of some silly reasons.
Because if they send the song al via HDMI the TV will try to do the 3D sound which isn’t ready yet.

The thought that Sony would simply ignore anyone with a decent surround setup (with height channels) and continue to output standard 5.1/7.1 as well as their 3D Audio to headphones and whatnot is just very disappointing. What's the point in spending so much time and money in creating a totally 3D soundscape and then not allowing people with a proper setup to experience that? WTF Sony!
So everyone can experience it?

Because if they send the song al via HDMI the TV will try to do the 3D sound which isn’t ready yet.

I already outlined that people can connect headphones directly to TV/monitor or connect AVR to TV and then connect headphones to AVR.
Limiting options for people is silly. I think most people are able to tell if they listen through headphones or loudspeakers and check appropriate box in PS5 options.

Back