Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Know your joking, but as we know there's people out there that think this....

My understanding is that everything is embargoed until specific aspects when they say it's ok to report on it.
It seems like different people have different embargo rules. I've read/watched lots of people give their impressions on backwards compatibility, what's good, what's missing (Forza Horizon 4 b/c according to Alannah Pearce) and Ars Technica did a bunch and published results of testing on external vs internal drive speeds.

It feels like a bit of a raffle.

It seems like different people have different embargo rules. I've read/watched lots of people give their impressions on backwards compatibility, what's good, what's missing (Forza Horizon 4 b/c according to Alannah Pearce) and Ars Technica did a bunch and published results of testing on external vs internal drive speeds.

It feels like a bit of a raffle.
They all have the same embargoes.
We do get what seems like the same content because of it.
But it does give each outlet big and small a chance to fully investigate an aspect without trying to rush out something before everyone else to get views.

The only thing i would say is i expected an area of embargo to be lifted weekly and that would then make it not seem so samey for so long. But hasn't happened.

Given where down to weeks before release I didn't think weekly was unreasonable given what there is left to show.

The only thing that has surprised me about Series X is some of the gaps in backwards compatibility just a few weeks from launch.

They're going through them carefully before they release to the preview group, and adding 200 to 300 each weekend. They were at 1000 games in the preview group when ArsTechnica first started their preview. Its a few weeks later now so at least 1200, maybe 1400 in the preview BC pool. Some of the titles likely not in the BC Preview group are those that will have SeriesX|S optimized patches.

The only thing that has surprised me about Series X is some of the gaps in backwards compatibility just a few weeks from launch. Alannah Pearce mentioned that Forza Horizon 4 wasn't compatible and I literally did this.. :runaway: Then I got over it and had some Shredded Wheat. :yep2:

FH4's being optimised for Series X, so that's probably the reason it's not on BC at the moment.

It's still incorrect. There is no way to do this and produce a correct image. I've already conceded it looks better than the worst attempts at this but that doesn't make it good. There are lots of ways to screw up an image to make it "pleasing" by some arbitrary metric e.g. "brighter" with blue push, pseudo HDR by using grayscale as a proxy for luminance, etc. They all have one thing in common, they are not the correct way to display the image. That Yakuza Zero footage looked genuinely awful to me, like someone had jacked the white level to 11. The only case where it worked was the best case scenario of hot neon lines against a pitch black field with Geometry Wars.

You can train an algorithm to call cats dogs all day long it doesn't make it so.

Edit: A key test will be games like FIFA, I cannot wait to see AutoHDR will do to a match with Real Madrid or Tottenham Hotspur with their white team kits, I suspect it will transcend football to turn the scene into a contest between beings of pure light (you can already see weird HDR highlights on Kazuma's white suit)

Its not arbitrary. And its not simply taking a 100 nit white and replacing it with 1000 nit white. You don't need an AI algorithm for that.

And HDR for FIFA has been around since 18 so if you simply well train the AI with those titles and apply them to older FIFA titles, you shouldn’t get blown out jerseys unless the HDR version does it.

Is it going to be perfect? Of course not. But if an AI-driven HDR solution is able to please the vast majority of gamers who think the feature looks better for the significant number of older SDR only titles then why not? You have the option to turn it off. These solutions don't have to cater to people that really care about calibrated settings and experiencing the material as the creator intended.

If I can make water taste like wine to everyone except wine connoisseurs, it doesn't matter what those connoisseurs think if they aren't my target market. I can simply sell them real wine.

Last edited:
Can't remember but was any non HDR XO games shown with auto HDR?
Or is it only available for pre XO, can't see why that would be the case.

Next-gen games on the XBSX?
Gave a list of some of the things somewhere before but:
  • Next gen games
  • Patched games
  • System enhanced games (double fps etc)
  • Noise & Temps
  • XSS
  • Dashboard improvements & updates
  • Install sizes for XSX|S
  • Demo apps (low latency, SFS, etc) some of the more tech orientated sites would like that (inc us)
These are just a few that they could do weekly leading up to release.
Each week system one with game or two would be the way I'd approach it now.

In terms of games we know a few patched 1P ones already, Minecraft, gears 5, forza h:4, ori ww.

Can't remember what next/cross gen games are close to console launch, but probably couple with marketing deals also.

Hence why i was disappointed part of embargo or anything wasn't lifted this week. There's still lots to share that they don't need to be so stingy to string it out until launch.

In terms of games we know a few patched 1P ones already, Minecraft, gears 5, forza h:4, ori ww.

How about just showing the known next-gen games running on the console. You know:

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War
Immortals Fenyx Rising
NBA 2K21
Riders Republic
AC Valhalla
Watch Dogs Legion

Yes these are also available on the XBox One and PS4, but they do offer Next-Gen upgrades. Just show something next-gen running on a new XBSX, hell at this point even showing Gears of War 5 upgrade on the XBSX would be awesome as we have heard from DF that it runs on the XBSX, a nice long 3-10 minute gameplay of something they haven't shown yet.

We haven't seen any gameplay that says, all the footage captured running on the XBSX.

Last edited:
FH4's being optimised for Series X, so that's probably the reason it's not on BC at the moment.
I just expected rock solid b/c with the vast majority, if not all, of the Xbox One library, to be a given regardless of whether Microsoft are making an enhancement patch. If there is no day one b/c for Microsoft's first party Xbox One games and there is no clear timeline for when the enhanced versions of popular games will be playable, that's not great. Is this going to be the case again next the next Xbox? Will ever new hardware have a phase of waiting for Microsoft to review/patch older titles?

I hope not, but some clarity would be welcome. But wrong thread for this! :runaway:

I just expected rock solid b/c with the vast majority, if not all, of the Xbox One library, to be a given regardless of whether Microsoft are making an enhancement patch. If there is no day one b/c for Microsoft's first party Xbox One games and there is no clear timeline for when the enhanced versions of popular games will be playable, that's not great. Is this going to be the case again next the next Xbox? Will ever new hardware have a phase of waiting for Microsoft to review/patch older titles?

I hope not, but some clarity would be welcome. But wrong thread for this! :runaway:

I think they want to specifically show off the enhanced titles before launch and that's all there is to it.

There's technically no FH4 BC. Smart delivery means it's a native XSX title now. Sort of.

How about just showing the known next-gen games running on the console. You know:

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War
Immortals Fenyx Rising
NBA 2K21
Riders Republic
AC Valhalla
Watch Dogs Legion

Yes these are also available on the XBox One and PS4, but they do offer Next-Gen upgrades. Just show something next-gen running on a new XBSX, hell at this point even showing Gears of War 5 upgrade on the XBSX would be awesome as we have heard from DF that it runs on the XBSX, a nice long 3-10 minute gameplay of something they haven't shown yet.

We haven't seen any gameplay that says, all the footage captured running on the XBSX.

It is quite strange. The Xbox YouTube channel posted the NBA footage that the publisher said was recorded on PS5, but Xbox changed the verbiage so that it said it was recorded on "next gen" instead.

How is it that even Xbox are using PS5 gameplay on their channel?

I know that Series X is the more powerful console, no doubt. And it's also been in people hands. It'll also be their best console in a long time... just that the lack of next gen games being shown on it is now completely bizarre.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201009-084211_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20201009-084211_YouTube.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20201009-084226_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20201009-084226_YouTube.jpg
    732 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
It is quite strange. The Xbox YouTube posted the NBA footage that the publisher said was recorded on PS5, but Xbox changed the verbiage so that it said it was recorded on "next gen" instead.

How is it that even Xbox are using PS5 gameplay on their channel?

I know that Series X is the more powerful console, no doubt. And it's also been in people hands. It'll so be their best console in a long time... just that the lack of next gen games being shown on it is now completely bizarre.

In the last blog post, Xbox told we will see next gen third party games before the launch. On the other side no idea how the PS5 OS is working. Each one have their own way to communicate.

In the last blog post, Xbox told we will see next gen third party games before the launch. On the other side no idea how the PS5 OS is working. Each one have their own way to communicate.
Sure except we have seen gameplay footage on the PS5 but not on the XBSX.

The PS5 OS could be hidding features they don't want shown yet, e.g. Create Button and what it does. They can show that just before launch and it will be good for them.

XBox released the console all the way back in Dec 2019 with the breakdown in March 2020 and everyone was saying Sony needed to show the console. They showed it now 2 days ago and it is generally received very well.

The missing gameplay footage by XBox is hurting them imo, more so than the missing PS5 OS is hurting PS5.

Last edited:

MS has stated multiple times that all Xbox One games apart from Kinect-titles should be playable on launch day, I of course can't know that they 100% deliver on that, but no reason to worry what the situation is pre-launch imo.

Also Turn 10 has previously promised that:

If I can make water taste like wine to everyone except wine connoisseurs, it doesn't matter what those connoisseurs think if they aren't my target market. I can simply sell them real wine.

Yup which is why low end wine brands exist, it's just very odd to me to see a company selling 1983 Grand Cru with a label that says "Tastes just like Jacob's Creek" slapped on it

Power Your Dreams with a New Generation of Xbox
by Josh Munsee, Senior Manager, Xbox Integrated Marketing • Oct 9, 2020 @ 6:00am

As we approach the launch of a new generation of gaming, there comes a renewed source of joy and inspiration for gamers around the world. We invite you to come on this journey with us. To dream of more vibrant and living gaming worlds. To dream of being instantly transported to your games at blazingly fast speeds. To dream of discovering your full gaming potential through high visual fidelity and even higher framerates, never experienced on consoles before.

With the all-new Xbox family of consoles launching worldwide on November 10, 2020, no matter how ambitious the dream, the power exists to turn your dreams into reality.

Power Your Dreams

With the global launch of the Power Your Dreams campaign, we turn to the positive experience that gaming provides us all. Power Your Dreams speaks to the idea that when we game – whether on console, PC or phone, we dream. Sometimes we dream about being someone else or about being our true selves. Sometimes we dream of an epic win with a group of friends or a solo adventure that challenges what we think we’re capable of. And sometimes we dream of first place or making this world a better place.

We’re excited to debut our launch trailer titled, “Us Dreamers.” In “Us Dreamers,” hero protagonist Daniel Kaluuya (Academy award nominated actor from blockbusters like “Get Out” and “Black Panther”) leads us all on an inspirational journey about what it means for gamers to dream and reach our potential, together.

PowerYourDreamsInline1.jpg

The story begins with Daniel picking up his Xbox Wireless Controller after returning home. He is greeted by online friends and is quickly transitioned into his gaming dream, moving from live action to CG. Daniel travels through his dream, passing through spectacular and immersive visuals of dream-inspired gaming worlds before discovering another gamer and her representation of her own gaming dream. Together, they realize that while each of our gaming dreams and journeys are unique, there are many gamers and many individual dreams that all come together with the power of Xbox.

Beyond the compelling visuals and relatable story, the true soul of “Us Dreamers” comes through with the featured track, “No Ordinary” a new song by Labrinth – a multiplatinum-selling singer, songwriter, Grammy nominated producer and Emmy award winning composer of one of 2019’s biggest shows, HBO’s Euphoria. “No Ordinary” provides an inspirational audio experience that uplifts the storytelling and complements the visual spectacle seen in “Us Dreamers.”

PowerYourDreamsInline2.jpg

As we debut the world premiere of “Us Dreamers” on our Xbox channels today, coinciding with the first-time release of Labrinth’s “No Ordinary” track, Xbox fans can check out the broadcast debut during Sunday Night Football on Sunday, October 11, 2020 when the Minnesota Vikings take on the Seattle Seahawks. Kick-off is estimated for 5:30 p.m. P.T.

Thank you to the Xbox fans who have been on this journey with us since the beginning and welcome to the fans who may be joining us for the first time. The incredible reception and energy surrounding Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S has been simply inspiring to all of us at team Xbox.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10/09/power-your-dreams-with-a-new-generation-of-xbox/

Tommy McClain

Back