AMD: Zen 3 Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amd is killing it. Zen3 trumps zen2 which already was close to intels best. Now and come with that 3080/3090 beater.

Rocket lake is out in a few months and Intel might get back to par with Zen 3 (if we go by Tiger lake results). However, its more or less confirmed that Rocket lake is on 14nm so the power efficiency is gonna be significantly worse.
https://adoredtv.com/amd-announces-ryzen-5000-series-based-on-zen-3/
Base clocks are all 100MHz lower than comparable 3000 series processor. So the base-boost spread has grown.

Given the increased performance per watt, Zen 3 should reach the advertised boost clocks just fine though. I'm just disappointed at the pricing of the 8 core. Was eyeing a 3700x last gen but decided to hold out for Zen 3. The XSX at $499 is looking mighty tempting vs a $449 (+cooler) 5800X.

Rocket lake is out in a few months and Intel might get back to par with Zen 3 (if we go by Tiger lake results). However, its more or less confirmed that Rocket lake is on 14nm so the power efficiency is gonna be significantly worse.

Given the increased performance per watt, Zen 3 should reach the advertised boost clocks just fine though. I'm just disappointed at the pricing of the 8 core. Was eyeing a 3700x last gen but decided to hold out for Zen 3. The XSX at $499 is looking mighty tempting vs a $449 (+cooler) 5800X.

Zen 3 does sem to be the fastest gaming processor on the market right now which is an amazing achievement for AMD. But it's performance delta even in these AMD hand picked benchmarks is pretty slim so I'm expecting Intel to at least take back the gaming crown with Rocket Lake, even if it's not by much.

That said, RL is rumoured to be 8 core only so it may still be at a disadvantage against the R9 59xx processors in heavily threaded games..

Zen 3 does sem to be the fastest gaming processor on the market right now which is an amazing achievement for AMD. But it's performance delta even in these AMD hand picked benchmarks is pretty slim so I'm expecting Intel to at least take back the gaming crown with Rocket Lake, even if it's not by much.

That said, RL is rumoured to be 8 core only so it may still be at a disadvantage against the R9 59xx processors in heavily threaded games..

Yea I don't expect Rocket lake to be a significant improvement. Are you sure about the 8 core? I thought that was only for Tiger Lake.

BTW Anandtech confirmed that Ryzen 5000 is using the same IO die and consequently the same DDR4 3200 speed (as expected).

Also, how well does Zen 2 scale with memory and FCLK Overclocking? Does the gaming performance improve with an 1:1 OC to 3.6/3.7 ghz?

Last edited:
It scales well.

That was a bit hard to follow. But seems to be a good 3-5% in most cases. Found a better one from Gamers Nexus. The AMD provided GEIL kit didn't perform well.

AMD really should be sending good 3200 Mhz CL14 kits to reviewers for testing.
Only from second hand rumours. Things could easily be wrong this far out.

I'd expect it to match comet lake at least, but we'll find out in a couple of months I'm sure. They might even announce at CES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back