Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

This is interesting:

Does it mean that it does throttle without the heatsink, if it gets too hot? If the heatsink fits in the PS5 then no harm done. But if it doesn't, that raises questions.
I think if its rated for PS5, I think you're good to go. I'm not sure which model was approved if both or just one of them. That part isn't exactly clear yet.

Both will throttle if it gets too hot as it's part of the controller logic, the heatsink should keep it from throttling though.

This is interesting:

Does it mean that it does throttle without the heatsink, if it gets too hot? If the heatsink fits in the PS5 then no harm done. But if it doesn't, that raises questions.

Only if you keep entering and exiting the game non-stop. Or a game like ratchet where you do nothing else but cross dimensions. But a heatsink is a must imo.

Someone actually has both consoles to do these tests?..
There are PS5 consoles in the wild, everybody is under NDA. When people can talk you'll get the usual "so we're had these for a few weeks now.." comments. :rolleyes:

I imagine Sony will wait until Microsoft their completed their phased embargo reveal then we'll get some hands on impressions. I'm less interesting in people's impressions than I am seeing the UI, functionality and seeing some actual numbers for performance of external drives. We've seen this for Series X and I was disappointed but at the same time I was expecting to be disappointed, but still disappointed there wasn't a more pronounced (and inexplicable) magical boost :(

The only thing that has surprised me about Series X is some of the gaps in backwards compatibility just a few weeks from launch. Alannah Pearce mentioned that Forza Horizon 4 wasn't compatible and I literally did this.. :runaway: Then I got over it and had some Shredded Wheat. :yep2:

This is interesting:

Well if the heatsink doesn't fit then it won't pass Sony's certification. I think Cerny talked about speed and size requirements.

This is interesting:

Believe it or not, NAND works more efficiently in warmer environments. The actual controller just needs to operate within reasonable thermal limits, more so than the NAND chips. As I see it, shouldn't be much of an issue.

Last edited:
Noise level vs max 31 db XSXView attachment 4750
What's shocking is how someone even believes those numbers.
70dB is an absurdity, it's the output of a vacuum cleaner. The PS4 Pro was never measured above 61dB.
The sound scale is logarithmic, meaning 70dB is actually ten times louder than 60dB.

If they're claiming those numbers, that person doesn't even have a PS4 Pro, let alone a PS5.

This is interesting:

ps5 ssd controller with its own cooling solution? Maybe the expanded storage's nvme controller barely get used.

What's shocking is how someone even believes those numbers.
70dB is an absurdity, it's the output of a vacuum cleaner. The PS4 Pro was never measured above 61dB.
The sound scale is logarithmic, meaning 70dB is actually ten times louder than 60dB.

If they're claiming those numbers, that person doesn't even have a PS4 Pro, let alone a PS5.

Roberto Serrano is not a trustable source.

I never watched any of the Japanese videos.
But was it just at an event then?
I thought that Sony shipped some out to them, but doesn't seem to be the case.
So was hands on with 2 games?

There are PS5 consoles in the wild, everybody is under NDA. When people can talk you'll get the usual "so we're had these for a few weeks now.." comments. :rolleyes:

I imagine Sony will wait until Microsoft their completed their phased embargo reveal then we'll get some hands on impressions. I'm less interesting in people's impressions than I am seeing the UI, functionality and seeing some actual numbers for performance of external drives. We've seen this for Series X and I was disappointed but at the same time I was expecting to be disappointed, but still disappointed there wasn't a more pronounced (and inexplicable) magical boost :(

The only thing that has surprised me about Series X is some of the gaps in backwards compatibility just a few weeks from launch. Alannah Pearce mentioned that Forza Horizon 4 wasn't compatible and I literally did this.. :runaway: Then I got over it and had some Shredded Wheat. :yep2:
If it is true that journalists/tech analysts have already been testing the PS5, I find it odd that Digital Foundry has yet to receive one. Perhaps them not being located in the States is a reason?

If it is true that journalists/tech analysts have already been testing the PS5, I find it odd that Digital Foundry has yet to receive one. Perhaps them not being located in the States is a reason?
Maybe they can't afford shipping it outside usa? (being sarci)

Anyway if their waiting for end of xbox embargoes, we may as well give up on hearing anything up till week or two(if lucky) before release.

I couldn't say.

Back