Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

So I guess @TeamGhobad is happy now. I see most the nay-sayers seem happy also. ;)

I'm very happy...there were some genuine moments of 'holy shi'...' during that tear down, I felt the liquid metal was almost like the PS4 8GB RAM moment for me...long rumoured but not fully believed to be real.

The SSD compartment looks a complete doddle and highly compatible regarding sizes - and I love the dust collection bits, it's like Sony went all out.

We get some exotic things like the tempest chip, crazy ssd stuff, liquid metal and high clocked GPU (first for consoles). Also the controller and design of the console itself. I just shouldnt compare it to the PC :p

Someone actually has both consoles to do these tests?..
I'm probably behind on news.
But I've not seen noise levels reported on individual consoles, much less someone having access to both.

Not saying it's fake, but I'll wait for more reports. Even though i believe it will only be interesting in that there both pretty quiet.

I'm probably behind on news.
But I've not seen noise levels reported on individual consoles, much less someone having access to both.

Not saying it's fake, but I'll wait for more reports. Even though i believe it will only be interesting in that there both pretty quiet.
There is one italian article I posted in the XSX thread... XSX noise results are the same or very similar.

Reactions: Jay
I felt the liquid metal was almost like the PS4 8GB RAM moment for me..
hmm. I don't think anything will surpass the 8GB moment. That was an actual improvement in graphical hardware for the same low price of 399.

The liquid metal TIM is just requirement that they to resolve the issue of having a very hot chip and to reduce the chance of failure after prolonged use was to use liquid metal. Liquid metal didn't improve the performance of PS5 like the switch to 8GB VRAM did.

hmm. I don't think anything will surpass the 8GB moment. That was an actual improvement in graphical hardware for the same low price of 399.

The liquid metal TIM is just requirement that they to resolve the issue of having a very hot chip and to reduce the chance of failure after prolonged use was to use liquid metal. Liquid metal didn't improve the performance of PS5 like the switch to 8GB VRAM did.
And normally liquid metal TIM just is only a bit better (we talk about 1.x°C) than other good pastes.
But it might really be needed to assure the heat is transferred fast enough because of the high frequencies and small Die area. E.g. also it might get some chips that can't be used otherwise useable (so less waste).

At least because of a 1.x°C difference, this seems just to be a bit to much effort if there is not another reason why it must be used.
It is also risky because the liquid metal is quite aggressive and can transfer power. If something leaks away from the Die ... well... the system could die.

And normally liquid metal TIM just is only a bit better (we talk about 1.x°C) than other good pastes.
But it might really be needed to assure the heat is transferred fast enough because of the high frequencies and small Die area. E.g. also it might get some chips that can't be used otherwise useable (so less waste).

At least because of a 1.x°C difference, this seems just to be a bit to much effort if there is not another reason why it must be used.
They stated they didn't want the thermal paste to dry out too quickly under the temperatures. So my assumption is that liquid metal TIM will last the whole generation without needing a re-paste. Well, frankly, no amateur should be doing a re-do of liquid metal.

Yes while it sounds abit special, it actually isnt anything we end users have any ye, advantage to it. It's like hyping about the very expensive TIM used on one of me pc builds, hardly anything id list as specs ;)
You'd could make a case that thanks to this liquid meta l they can average closer to 10.2TF. But then again, a good TIM or vapour chamber could have done that aswell i guess.

They stated they didn't want the thermal paste to dry out too quickly under the temperatures. So my assumption is that liquid metal TIM will last the whole generation without needing a re-paste. Well, frankly, no amateur should be doing a re-do of liquid metal.

Seems to be the main reason for its appliance i think, many ps4 users had to replace their TIM to keep noise levels lower. Abit too expensive maybe, but something really exotic and intresting would have been a mini wc solution, requiring less heatsink size perhaps? Nothing beats a quality water setup.

Yes while it sounds abit special, it actually isnt anything we end users have any ye, advantage to it. It's like hyping about the very expensive TIM used on one of me pc builds, hardly anything id list as specs ;)
You'd could make a case that thanks to this liquid meta l they can average closer to 10.2TF. But then again, a good TIM or vapour chamber could have done that aswell i guess.

Seems to be the main reason for its appliance i think, many ps4 users had to replace their TIM to keep noise levels lower. Abit too expensive maybe, but something really exotic and intresting would have been a mini wc solution, requiring less heatsink size perhaps? Nothing beats a quality water setup.
The TIM is only responsible for transferring heat to the heatsink. The heatsink has it's own responsibility to transferring heat from itself to the air. The heatsink is what keeps PS5 noise levels lower and silicon temperatures cooler. The TIM is what helps transfer heat, liquid metal is just a better bonding agent than thermal paste. Its going to last longer and have more performance in worse conditions. wrt PS4, or the current consoles, they cheaped out on TIM so the connection to the heatsink wasn't good therefore poor heat transfer. It became a bottleneck for performance, but ultimately it's the heatsink doing the work.

Last edited:

I just meant like a ‘oh shoot... they actually did I it!’ moment.

I just meant like a ‘oh shoot... they actually did I it!’ moment.
oh lol.
Yea I was a bit surprised myself. I don't mess with liquid metal for all the value it brings, just seems a little mistake could ruin my money spent. It may very well be the future of computing though. Chips are only going to get smaller with more power required. It's just going to get hotter.

lineup-features.png

SN850 first western digital SSD supposed to be compatible with PS5

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn850-nvme-ssd#WDS500G1X0E-00AFY0

Speeds are 7000MB/s for Sequential Read and 4100MB/s, 5300MB/s and 5100MB/s for Sequential Write in the 500GB, 1TB and 2TB respectively.
Prices are $149.99 for 500GB, $229.99 for 1TB and $449.99 for 2TB. These prices will surely go down as time goes by like every single drive does.

lol 2TB is the cost of your PS5 nearly.
229 is $10 more than the xbox expansion, you're almost at the cost of a Series S

149 is looking the most reasonable at 500GB. I'd still wait for these to drop further, but I guess if you're a power user there are options.

It's going to be a hard pass from me for a while.

Last edited:
This is interesting:

THROTTLE NOTHING BUT YOUR ENEMIES (heatsink only)
Supreme performance is best served cold with the WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™ SSD, featuring an optional heatsink model so your PC doesn’t bottom out when you’re at the top of your game (heatsink model only).
● SN850 is available with or without heatsink.
● SN850 with heatsink is intended for Desktop PCs.

Does it mean that it does throttle without the heatsink, if it gets too hot? If the heatsink fits in the PS5 then no harm done. But if it doesn't, that raises questions.

Back