DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

I was waiting for the narration from David Attenborough but then the videos ended.
Still getting mind blown by a launch game, how is that possible?

It really is sad that Sony let this go. Perhaps they can revive it at some point? We're getting a Demon Souls remake, why not a Driveclub remake??

Its really not going to happen.

The game was obliterated from PSN store. You can only find crumbles that the game even existed. I never seen anything like this happening before.

Its even more brutal because the game IS a first party game, AND was released for a console which still is the "current" generation. Something really really bad happened between EVO and Sony.

Its really not going to happen.

The game was obliterated from PSN store. You can only find crumbles that the game even existed. I never seen anything like this happening before.

Its even more brutal because the game IS a first party game, AND was released for a console which still is the "current" generation. Something really really bad happened between EVO and Sony.
That's crazy, didn't realise it was that bad!

Do you mean its delisted from the store? Or does it not show up in searches at all? If its only delisted, then possible reasons are license for the cars have expired so Sony can no longer sell new instances of the game. This happens all the time with license-based games after the initial period expires. I would be surprised if the license period is ever more than 4 years.

At the end of last month Forza Horizon 3 was delisted from the Microsoft Stores. You can still download the game if you bought it before, but you can't buy it new. Its all because the cost of required car licenses makes it prohibitively expensive to keep all but the latest selling game as licensed.

Do you mean its delisted from the store? Or does it not show up in searches at all? If its only delisted, then possible reasons are license for the cars have expired so Sony can no longer sell new instances of the game. This happens all the time with license-based games after the initial period expires. I would be surprised if the license period is ever more than 4 years.

At the end of last month Forza Horizon 3 was delisted from the Microsoft Stores. You can still download the game if you bought it before, but you can't buy it new. Its all because the cost of required car licenses makes it prohibitively expensive to keep all but the latest selling game as licensed.

There could be lots of reasons for the shutdown, its true. For reference, Motorstorm apocalypse online servers, a PS3 title, were shutdown in August 2018.

Driveclub It was removed from the store in August 2019 and the servers shutdown in february 2020. This is a first party PS4 game and the console is still being sold and with support until 2024. Driveclub VR (also deleted) was still one of the must have VR titles.

The game was still generating income to at least support the online servers. Even if it was losing some money with the licensing, I never saw company trying to get rid of its own franchise so quickly, to the disservice of its player base. Its something you only see happening when a brand gets so toxic the parent company tries to distance itself from it. But where is the toxicity? certainly not public. The game is loved to death in the PS fanbase.

None of it makes sense, to the point I actually start to consider the rumors Kazunori Yamauchi was extremely displeased with Sony because of what Driveclub was trying to achieve.

As this is a dead thread I don't mind derailing a bit.
I don't know why they didn't give it away with games with gold?
I'm sure they did that with a previous game that was being delisted, or even just gave it away as a thank you to every one.

There wasn't even a patch to remove the online functionality. Everytime you start an offline race you see the red message flashing before your eyes for 10 seconds. This is not proper treatment or normal.

is9l4qt.png

There wasn't even a patch to remove the online functionality. Everytime you start an offline race you see the red message flashing before your eyes for 10 seconds. This is not proper treatment or normal.

is9l4qt.png
Bugs me when little things like that aren't done.

May be more complicated than we believe, but doubt it.

Isn't DriveClub very redundant with Gran Turismo? Honest question, I'm not big on car racing simulators.

I think Evolution Studios had their own market with Motorstorm, but once they went with Driveclub I think they started to overlap with Polyphony a bit.
Also, I think they probably had already been axed as soon as DriveClub launched. That game was supposed to be a launch title for the PS4 but they delayed it by a full year, only for the game to get a lukewarm reception.

That said, what happens to the people who got the game on their Plus collection? Surely they can't just pretend it was never there.

Isn't DriveClub very redundant with Gran Turismo? Honest question, I'm not big on car racing simulators.

I think Evolution Studios had their own market with Motorstorm, but once they went with Driveclub I think they started to overlap with Polyphony a bit.
Also, I think they probably had already been axed as soon as DriveClub launched. That game was supposed to be a launch title for the PS4 but they delayed it by a full year, only for the game to get a lukewarm reception.

That said, what happens to the people who got the game on their Plus collection? Surely they can't just pretend it was never there.
I thought DC was a different game and feel to GT, and I much preferred it. The tracks and environments alone make DC stand out compared to GT. IMO

Back