Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

upload_2020-10-8_4-16-54.png

Part number
TH58LJT0T24BA4C

https://www.chinaflashmarket.com/Product/Detail/NANDFlash/10841

Toshiba 3D TLC G9T24
128GB

Just in case anybody is interested.
This already comes in 128/256/512 variants so twice/four times the SSD sizes in the future are already possible.

SD1284 TWN 2009 9AE

SD1284< Company control trace code
TWN< Company control trace code, but almost certainly means packaged in Taiwan, saw some samples where this says JPN so certainty means origin.
2009< Almost certainly means date code 2020 / 9th week
9AE < Part of the company control code. Possibly which manufacturing plant.

upload_2020-10-8_4-58-52.png

TN58LJT0T24BA4C
SD1284 TWN 20099AE

Must be 128GiB then.

The following is Toshiba 256GBits.

https://www.techinsights.com/products/car-1902-801

Is the TWN meaning really TWIN? i.e. Stacked or on both sides of the motherboard? I thought it might mean Taiwan but Toshiba is Japanese.

The chip packaging is probably done in Taiwan.

Last edited:
Why would you design it that way? You are preheating air being pulled in to cool the system.

You are just reintroducing escaped heat back into the system.
They must have taken it into account. Also the original SSD should be used much less (or not at all) when you replace it so it will produce less heat.

Why would you design it that way? You are preheating air being pulled in to cool the system.

You are just reintroducing escaped heat back into the console.
I mean it's either this way or they blow the hot air coming out of the heatsink over the SSD. The SSD probably isn't adding enough heat to the incoming air to make any sort of difference.

Inspired by the die shot of PS5 GPU, I derived some guesses from the XSX die shot that was shown at Hot Chips 2020.

b3da042.png

The twitterverse is coming up with die area guesses in the range of 286 to 308mm². So my derived guess of 316mm² is a bit large.

On XSX all the stuff that isn't the GPU is about 192mm². I've subtracted the area for XSX's extra PHYs (~12.5mm²) but not the extra area for the corresponding MCs (which would be about a couple of mm²). XSX-specific hardware acceleration features may take more die space than the corresponding features on PS5.

So, there's no massive die area left to explain for "Infinity Cache", if we compare my guesses with guesstimates in the region of 300mm².

Attachments

• 128GB.jpg
    128GB.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 17
I mean it's either this way or they blow the hot air coming out of the heatsink over the SSD. The SSD probably isn't adding enough heat to the incoming air to make any sort of difference.

They must have taken it into account. Also the original SSD should be used much less (or not at all) when you replace it so it will produce less heat.

Probably because it wasn't designed for the SDD to be cooled in that fashion. An SSD can exist and a portion of the motherboard and other components are exposed behind that shield. The cover is probably for EMI shielding purposes not heat transfer.

Without the cover, you end up with a gap in your EMI shielding.

Last edited:
The Series S is 197.05 mm2 with 20CU's and basically the same CPU as Series X/PS5 so it seems very possible that the PS5 die size could be pretty small.

Nah, TN came up with no results. No such part number, while TH does give us a valid part number.
Yeah, you are most probably right. Nice to know though. :) Imagine, a 3.3TB PS5 in 4 years time. :drool:

The third chip is definitely an H.

Attachments

• 128GB_2.jpg
    128GB_2.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 18
View attachment 4737

What I meant was that these are obviously two different boards as the one he freshly tore down didn't even have thermal paste on the SSD and the SSD controllers.

Edit: didn't have the battery either lol.

Is it just me, or does it look like that covering over the package power caps is there to protect them from liquid metal during assembly of the device?

Is it just me, or does it look like that covering over the package power caps is there to protect them from liquid metal during assembly of the device?

Probably to protect them at all costs, even after the user tries to disassemble it.
Unlike thermal paste where you can just smear it all over the place liquid metal also conducts electricity so you wouldn't want to apply it like thermal paste.

Guys like Nexus Gamer also took extreme caution and even used tape to insulate the power caps before applying liquid metal to their rigs.

Probably to protect them at all costs, even after the user tries to disassemble it.
Unlike thermal paste where you can just smear it all over the place liquid metal also conducts electricity so you wouldn't want to apply it like thermal paste.

Guys like Nexus Gamer also took extreme caution and even used tape to insulate the power caps before applying liquid metal to their rigs.

Yeah, I was tempted to try and de-lid my 4790K and use liquid metal but I chickened out. Damn chip can clock to 4.8+ but the temps under a stress test go crazy even with a big cooler and max fan speeds.

Damage during de-lidding and the danger of smearing a conductive TIM over the package ultimately scared me off. Intel really stopped giving a shit while AMD were Bulldozing their way into a dead end.

When I saw the protection over the power caps I assumed it was to protect them from conductive TIM.

Wow! That is one well-spaced our little device, so much room between the chips. It is really big, looks like they really wanted to leave room to slide another drive in there and keep things cool. It looks really big again now but the space is clearly not wasted. It’s going to take some adjustment to it being so quiet after the PS4 Pro [emoji16]

I think this was a pretty good timing for the tear down too. Look forward to getting this thing into my home!

Here the priority is not only keep the temperatures for the main SOC. I think it is a high priority in the design to keep the SSD modules cold plus the added M.2 SSD.
It looks like the SOC might be the one element that has decent contact with the cooler. It has a punchout in the metal EM shield that covers the main board, and the heatsink base matches it. The SSD looks to be on the wrong side of the board for the main heatsink, and at least around the curved edge of the fan chamber there's some kind of sponge material between the heatsink and the shield.
Other components may have thermal grease or pads that bring them in contact with the shield, but it may be relying on their modest power needs and the area of the EM shield rather than the heatsink.

really shows the contrasting design

- Liquid metal is only 3-5C cooler compared to a good thermal paste and usualy not worth the trouble considering how badly it can stain copper over time, but it doesn't touch the alimunium parts at least (because it would eat into those very quickly). I can only think of one reason to use it, and that's longevity.
I don't think I've found the references I've seen before, but generally it's possible to get good thermal performance out of a poorer application of liquid metal, as long as the other downsides are handled. A slightly thick silicone compound can lead to unacceptable results more readily.
From the following, a good grease layer is 25 microns or less, whereas at least one kind of liquid metal material can go from 25 to 150 microns acceptably.
https://thermal.live/2019/liquid-me...-innovations-for-high-performance-devices-qa/

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 825GB SSD. People have initially talked about 12 chips for the SSD because The Road to PS5 had 12 interface channels.
I think some modules have more than one channel, which would explain the physical difference.

The nvme chips and controller is on the same side as the CPU. It's definitely contacting that massive heatsink. The GDDR6 is on the other side of the mobo.
It looks NAND is contacting an EM shield on either side of the main board. Not much sign of close contact with the main heatsink, unless they cleaned grease or pads off of the surfaces..

Back