Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Don't blame me if you don't agree, blame the person doing the teardown. From the video at 5:30.

Read speeds aren't 5.5 GB/s but they are "as fast as" 5.5 GB/s. Or as I stated, up to 5.5 GB/s.

Perhaps there was an error in translation but for the English language, "as fast as" is the same as "up to".

Regards,
SB

Lets use the language he actually used in the video instead of relying on translating.

カスタムのSSDコントローラーにより読み込み速度は生データの転送速度で毎秒5.5 GBと大速化されゲームのロード時間を大幅にたんしゅくしています。

I don't think he used "up to" or "as fast as", just states the read speed is 5.5 GB/s and can reduce load speeds a lot.

Lets use the language he actually used in the video instead of relying on translating.

カスタムのSSDコントローラーにより読み込み速度は生データの転送速度で毎秒5.5 GBと大速化されゲームのロード時間を大幅にたんしゅくしています。

I don't think he used "up to" or "as fast as", just states the read speed is 5.5 GB/s and can reduce load speeds a lot.

Well, that was translated by Sony themselves, so theoretically they should know what they are talking about. Google translate and Bing translate also agree that it's "up to".

So, if we aren't to believe Sony, we're to just go with whatever we believe instead? If it's an error in translation then Sony should fix that as it would give the wrong impression.

Regards,
SB

The plate above the SSD is definitely meant to be cooled by the air sucked into the fan. This plate could even be removed and replaced by some kind of heatsink dedicated to the SSD because there is some space above it.

LkqLHIZ.png

So last bits from me, I'm feel fairly validated by seeing this teardown. I didn't know there were subtitles so I captioned the one that made me feel validated. I had many heated discussions with many of you around power, heat and thermals and variable clock rates and such. So the heat and thermals are very high, therefore power output is high. The variable clock is ??? I have a feeling it will hold closer to that 10.3 than not just looking at the assembly. But it's hard to test this, you may need to detune a RDNA 2 card and run the same settings to get an idea of where it's landing, I dunno.

But I think on the onset of the discussion of why there are these plastic plates and fins around the PS5. It would suffer the same problem as the XSX if you tried to pick it up, it's going to be toasty. The plastic plates are connected in such a way that there is up to 1 cm clearance away from the black plastic plate, so it's going to be very difficult for the air in that space to conduct the heat back into the white plastic.
So the white plastic covers serve as
a) fins to ensure nothing is clogging up the fans
b) protection from touching the PS5 directly

I think the PS5 will be pretty toasty too if you too off the fins and touched the black parts during operation.

anyway, the captions from the video:
The PS5's SoC is a small die running a very high clock rate. This led to a very high thermal density in the silicon die, which required us to significantly increase the performance of the thermal conductor, also known as TIM, that sits between the SoC and the heatsink. The PS5 utilizes a liquid metal as the TIM to ensure long-term, stable, high cooling performance.

Last edited:
The plate above the SSD is definitely meant to be cooled by the air sucked into the fan. This plate could even be removed and replaced by some kind of heatsink dedicated to the SSD because there is some space above it.

LkqLHIZ.png

Since that plate isn't in contact with the SSD, I do wonder if the user added NVME would actually operate cooler without that plate over it. It would depend on whether there is active airflow within the chamber itself. The pictures aren't clear enough as to whether there is or there isn't. So, hopefully someone (DF maybe?) will take a look when they finally get their hands on one.

Regards,
SB

I was wondering if one leaves the SSD-bay coverplate off, would it be able to fit those SSD there with massive heatsinks? You know like ghetto-style only the m.2 screw holding the add-on card there without the cover and heatsink bulging out?!

Well, that was translated by Sony themselves, so theoretically they should know what they are talking about. Google translate and Bing translate also agree that it's "up to".

So, if we aren't to believe Sony, we're to just go with whatever we believe instead? If it's an error in translation then Sony should fix that as it would give the wrong impression.

Regards,
SB

Don't see what's the big deal.
No consumer is going to run benchmarks on sustained transfer speeds and no game is going to require that sort of sustained read speed beyond a couple of seconds.

Dust filters need to be replaced... frequently which is why almost no consumer devices have dust filters. But this design, where the two fan vents/exhausts are behind the white plates mean it is easy to buy swatches of filters, tape them in space, put the plates back and replace them as needed.
I was thinking more like a metal mesh, with large enough holes to not block airflow instead of those two cut out disk "grills". The current setup will suck in every clump to the only moving part of the system and not all of those will leave the fan to the dust collectors.

Paste degrades faster than liquid metal and is was trickier to apply effectively on a production line than liquid metal.
I agree, longevity was the first reason I guessed, but I did not think about the production difficulties, good point.

The pictures aren't clear enough as to whether there is or there isn't. So, hopefully someone (DF maybe?) will take a look when they finally get their hands on one.

This is perhaps the only section I wish we had more images and measurements of.

Don't see what's the big deal.
No consumer is going to run benchmarks on sustained transfer speeds and no game is going to require that sort of sustained read speed beyond a couple of seconds.

It's not a consumer concern. It's just a technical note. If Sony didn't design their internal SSD for sustained 5.5 GB/s then user added NVME drives also don't need to sustain X speed.

Regards,
SB

Regards,
SB

He said 5.5 GB raw speed does not mean it is not sustained and adding meaning to what he said.

With the custon SSD controller, read speeds are as fast as 5.5 GB per second at raw data transfer rate which reduces significantly reduces the load time of the game.

This is the exact subtitle in the video. He just gave the SSD speed, nothing more, nothing less. Saying otherwise is just pure FUD.

I had many heated discussions with many of you around heat and thermals and variable clock rates and such. So the heat and thermals are very high, therefore power output is high. The variable clock is ??? I have a feeling it will hold closer to that 10.3 than not just looking at the assembly.

Count me in for that one too. PS5 should be over 10TF all the time i think. Not it makes a world of a difference anyway 1TF more or less, but ofcourse more the better for a lasting generation ;)

I think the liquid metal is intresting, as a pc gamer ive never really heard of it. Seems cooling is very much a 2020 thing, aswell as size and power usage. Look at the XSX, PS5, and in special the 3080 and 3090. All grown in size and exotic cooling in special the Ampere RTX solutions. Some complain about the PS5 size, but damn that 3090 is as big as the XSX in the whole :p

If Sony didn't design their internal SSD for sustained 5.5 GB/s then user added NVME drives also don't need to sustain X speed.

There should be 7GB/s drives out in the PC space, i think its those drives that people should get for the PS5?

He said 5.5 GB raw speed does not mean it is not sustained and adding meaning to what he said.

This is the exact subtitle in the video. He just gave the SSD speed, nothing more, nothing less. Saying otherwise is just pure FUD.
Agreed. He does not say that it's not sustainable, not that it needs to be.

Attachments

• The Official Sony PS5 Teardown (English Voiceover).jpg
    The Official Sony PS5 Teardown (English Voiceover).jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 14
The math works out perfectly with x3 256 GiB chips.

256x3 = 768 GiB and converted to GB is 825.

Then each channel has access to 64 GiB.

I think they went with 6 chips.

Three on the front, three on the back

Front side

upload_2020-10-8_4-10-5.png

Back side

upload_2020-10-8_4-6-6.png

upload_2020-10-8_4-7-9.png

Wow, real piece of art.

You can see the components on the back side for each of the SSD chips, and they line up perfectly resulting in an interleaved fashion.

This makes a future upgrade to 825GB *2 = 1650 GB in the future quite a possibility as they can just upgrade these 128GiB chips to 256GiB chips.

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-8_4-5-26.png
    upload_2020-10-8_4-5-26.png
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

LkqLHIZ.png

Why would you design it that way? You are preheating air being pulled in to cool the system.

You are just reintroducing escaped heat back into the console.

Back