Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

The enclosure has a curve that directs the airflow coming from the radial fan into the M.2's heatsink, if there is one.

QiFDLAy.png

It looks like the ideal setup for the usual M.2 heatsinks, which have their creases aligned with the long side of the M.2.

jWi187y.jpg

It had a metal cover over it prior to that pic tho? Or would you leave that off when installing a drive?

I think one of the main reasons for the side panels is it has made the disc drive addition a simple modular process. All consoles are basically the digital edition right up until one of the last production steps where they add on a disc drive and just use a wider side panel with a slot.

I was wondering about the real power draw. I don't believe console would max out the power supply. Both consoles probably draw something over 200W in worst case where ps5 reaches worst case more easily. I believe xsx is 315W not 300W for power supply.
websites have it at 300W. That may have been DF's lead here that everyone is following
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-Xbox-series-x-reveal-analysis

I went off the Verge
https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/16/21438782/sony-ps5-size-specs-dimensions-console-huge-large-big

As for real power draw, you need to run the console through a wattage meter to determine a measurement. The PSU will only provide a rough estimate of limits. We'd have to wait for release for this to happen. Though I suspect it's possible DF and others may be testing this already but are forced to keep under embargo until release date.

That is a monster heat sink! Any guesses on an estimated cost for Sony's cooling solution? I was impressed with Sony's engineering team after seeing the tear down. Beautifully designed console, but they definitely spent some $ to accommodate high clock speeds and a very fast SSD.

. upload_2020-10-7_10-49-37.png

I really don't like the look of the PS5's internals at all. It's totally lacking in the style that Xbox have imbued their components with since the S. That fan cover for instance. Looks horrible. Removing the PS5's bingo wings should be an exciting event. Instead you're greeted with that.

The engineering decisions were interesting though. Ultimately, so long as it's quiet, who cares. :D

I think the big if in ps5 design is how it will cost reduce? If sony eventually can somehow manage to get a cooler soc in there the ps5 slim could be fairly small and cheap to manufacture. The current cooling solution, giant fan, giant power supply and the empty space between covers take most of the space.

I gotta wonder if the faceplates/wings aren't a brute force way of ensuring breathing room for the console. Most electrical devices I own tell me to allow XXmm room around them and frankly I am prone to ignoring that., they honestly don't seem to do much but guarantee stand off room for the intake fans

They even put some thought into manual servicing of the console. At 2m42 he's pointing at the holes where we should point our vacuum cleaner at, to gather the collected dust.

The plates surpass the middle black plastic "core", and the plates probably aren't strong enough to hold the console.

The enclosure has a curve that directs the airflow coming from the radial fan into the M.2's heatsink, if there is one.

QiFDLAy.png

It looks like the ideal setup for the usual M.2 heatsinks, which have their creases aligned with the long side of the M.2.

jWi187y.jpg
Ehhh that heatsink looks to big to go in there. I think you'll see the copper strip at most. The one you provided just too large from the looks of comparing screw sizes between the 2 pictures. The nvme still has depth due to the chip size and then the heatsink on top of that.

Also the majority of airflow is directed to the other side of the of the mobo where the massive heatsink is. Only a small portion the fan is sitting high enough to send air down the other side of the mobo. If I were to take a guess, it's not air channeled as you drew your arrow. The active cooling will come over sideways not lengthwise

edit: nvm, I did have several more looks, it will likely channel as you drew it and somehow exhaust that air through the back or something. But I still that your heatsink is a touch too big. There needs to be a good amount of clearance for air to move in there.

Last edited:
I gotta wonder if the faceplates/wings aren't a brute force way of ensuring breathing room for the console. Most electrical devices I own tell me to allow XXmm room around them and frankly I am prone to ignoring that., they honestly don't seem to do much but guarantee stand off room for the intake fans
Yep, akin to ps4 slanted design with "layered cake" grooves. But more extreme

Really glad Sony finally use quality TIM. The one on PS4 pro was rubbish.

So for PS5 a simple vacuum cleanup will be enough. No more tim replacement needed. Heck, replacing the TIM could reduce the thermal transfer performance, as it already use liquid metal that are way more conductive in transferring heat than the usual high quality non electrical conducting TIM.

There is really much chopper on this Heatsink. Why so much. It should be much cheaper (and not really less efficient) if it only had chopper for the hotspots (SOC + SSD Controller).
I can really see a much cheaper and slimmer PS5 coming next year. Seems more like they ran out of time and just needed a big fat solution for the heat problem.
I just mean, this thing is just to big to be cost-effective for sony.

There is really much chopper on this Heatsink. Why so much. It should be much cheaper (and not really less efficient) if it only had chopper for the hotspots (SOC + SSD Controller).
I can really see a much cheaper and slimmer PS5 coming next year. Seems more like they ran out of time and just needed a big fat solution for the heat problem.
We don't know what is cost-effective for Sony! They could have got a really good deal on cheap copper.

I love it. You can see they put a lot of thought into it. Two months to go for me. I can't wait.

From eyeballing it they seem to have decided that they need very high conductivity across the entire copper baseplate to ensure the heat gets to the aluminum fins in a uniform manner, perhaps mixing materials in the baseplate or forgoing a baseplate across every fin in favour of just relying on the heatpipes to transfer energy to the fins wasn't getting the job done well enough? You're right that is a massive baseplate and will not be cheap.

Edit: I'm not sure cheap copper is a thing, even if you get a great deal on copper it's spot price is three times that of aluminum so any deal you get is still going to be more expensive than Al.

Back