Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

No, it's classic design. Do you see heat conducting vias anywhere on the PCB?
Yes, we clearly see them:

jAMmE2X.png

hvAuIK3.jpg

The heatsink (with copper pipe) on the back shield will directly cool down the power things and the back of the APU because those heat conductors that pass through the PCB are against some other heat conductor and to the wide smooth plate (with the 2 screws) which has its own designed place on the back shield.

voDSa3b.png

The surface of the plate is very smooth because it's designed to conduct heat to the back shield:
xVcI84W.png

As I suspected previously the APU is indeed actively cooled on both sides exactly like in the patent description. This is the most interesting part of the cooling because I don't think this has ever being done before.

Looks pretty good. Very easy to work on it seems.

Liquid metal is really nice my only question is how well does the m.2 expansion fit into the cooling. It looks like it can fit a decent heatsink in the space but is there any active calling

I see nothing in there with regards to system GPU/CPU specs, which is want most poeple like us care about. I seem to remember that most Xbox fans believed the Xbox had better specs than the PS4, and I would say most people were believing that. It was a huge surprise when it was eventually revealed that the PS4 was actually mush better than the Xbox and that it could do Native 1080p while the Xbox One would generally drop to 720p or 900p etc. I remember Xbox then had to compensate by dropping Kenetic and freeing up CPU power as well as bumping up the GPU speed.

Until fairly late in the game, the Xbox One had a secondary GPU that was supposed to run all the dashboard and multimedia functions It was eliminated to save about $15. A lot of design choices make more sense now don’t they.

I want to see the application of the liquid metal. Doing it by machine or by hand? Would love to see the machine. Simple sponge with a shield? Protective coating on the capacitors?

Want a better look at the SSD controller.

What I’m not understanding is whether the vertical stand is required. Can’t we just have it vertical without that weird pedestal thing? It makes it look less safe, if anything?

Liquid metal is really nice my only question is how well does the m.2 expansion fit into the cooling. It looks like it can fit a decent heatsink in the space but is there any active calling

This kinda stuck out to me too, it's hard to see if there is any airflow through there in the video

What I’m not understanding is whether the vertical stand is required. Can’t we just have it vertical without that weird pedestal thing? It makes it look less safe, if anything?
maybe less safe. The taller it gets the easier it can topple. With a stand holding it place, it will keep it stabilized from accidental bumps. I think I can get away with keeping the PS5 sideways so I'm good. But I think if space is limited, you might be able to forgo the stand and place it behind the TV so that people can't knock it over.

PS5 power supply is rated for 350W. Can we deduce something about the real power draw by comparing to ps4 power supply? Probably no huge difference in power consumption between ps5/xbox series x as series x power supply is rated for 315W.

PS5 power supply is rated for 350W. Can we deduce something about the real power draw by comparing to ps4 power supply? Probably no huge difference in power consumption between ps5/xbox series x as series x power supply is rated for 315W.
Unless something has changed, final tally for wattages is
PS5: 350
PS5 DE: 340
XSX: 300

The assumption here is to provide enough power so you don't brown out if the power draw goes high. But PS5 is designed around a fixed power draw, which the remaining power is used to keep the clockspeed high, so that 350W should be very specifically tailored to it's performance I suspect, there is probably some breathing room. It shouldn't technically be possible to crash due to performance caused by an increase in heat circulating back into more power draw.

The XSX is tailored around the clock speed, so that 300W should be it's maximum power draw in weird scenarios but should sit well below it for most workloads, lots of breathing room for power draw.

Last edited:

i don’t even see a thermal pad

Liquid metal by definition is better due to the high heat/electric conductivity and since it's a metal there's no real issue of degradation like other polymers.

Thus its much better over a long run. I've heard that they don't work well under cold conditions (like when the liquid metal freezes over) but under usual working circumstances (like not pouring liquid nitrogen over it) that's not a problem.
You won't be boiling it away either as that will probably fry your board first.

I think they disassembled one that hasn't been liquid metal applied it seems, obviously to show us the APU unit, and then switched over to another board that has it applied.

Unless something has changed, final tally for wattages is
PS5: 350
PS5 DE: 340
XSX: 300

I was wondering about the real power draw. I don't believe console would max out the power supply. Both consoles probably draw something over 200W in worst case where ps5 reaches worst case more easily. I believe xsx is 315W not 300W for power supply.

I suspect if you tried to boot that box post teardown it wouldn't, clear signs that they stripped thermal pads from RAM chips etc to make for a smoother video. Those details you'll need to wait for ifixit tear down for

Is he saying that the heatsink is as good as a vapor chamber heatsink?

Qu4GFG0.png

Yeah surprisingly direct poke at MS there, I guess their thermal engineers have been annoyed by 7 years of everyone giving them crap over how loud PS4 & Pro were. Any heatsink is a part of an overall cooling solution, I reckon if you got into a deep conversation their perspective is "fancy TIM + heat pipes == vapour chamber + std TIM"

Is he saying that the heatsink is as good as a vapor chamber heatsink?

Qu4GFG0.png
Yes. Vapor chambers don’t scale performance to that size.

Tough to know for sure without their efficiency ratings and design margin.

They even put some thought into manual servicing of the console. At 2m42 he's pointing at the holes where we should point our vacuum cleaner at, to gather the collected dust.

New What I’m not understanding is whether the vertical stand is required. Can’t we just have it vertical without that weird pedestal thing? It makes it look less safe, if anything?
The plates surpass the middle black plastic "core", and the plates probably aren't strong enough to hold the console.

Liquid metal is really nice my only question is how well does the m.2 expansion fit into the cooling.
The enclosure has a curve that directs the airflow coming from the radial fan into the M.2's heatsink, if there is one.

QiFDLAy.png

It looks like the ideal setup for the usual M.2 heatsinks, which have their creases aligned with the long side of the M.2.

jWi187y.jpg

it is probably for extra stability. The dude left the PS5 facing down after he removed the stand and it can... stand. Also since the cover slide down to be opened then it shouldn't be a problem to leave it on vertical orientation without the stand. If you need extra cooling, you can just open the cover and let it run naked :)
Another thing, when you look at him opening the panel, he doesn't have the stand attached and it looked stable enough so if you lose the stand it won't be as wobbly as the shape might suggest. Of course you'll be sacrificing the side panels, which luckily easily replaceable and no doubt people will be selling 3rd party panel.

The actual function of the stand is not to let PS5 touch the ground because ground is dirty and you don't want to get your PS5 dirty... They even make the PS5 catches dust :)

Anyway, I don't think the screw is necessary if you don't mind the stand not securely attached to the console, so less hassle for people that like to change orientation of their console.

Back