Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Holly cow,I still can’t believe what I just saw. Seriously? I never ever thought I could be excited about a cooling solution! by the way. Anyone knows how liquid metal ages? I mean we know thermal paste tend to dry with time.... what about liquid metal? Is it gonna be a problem?

Glad to see there's enough space for a M.2 SSD and a generous heatsink. That should increase the number of high-speed SSDs we can use for expansion.

So we're looking at confirmation of the sandwich heatsink patent, right?

hvAuIK3.jpg

This is the heatsink sitting in the opposite side of the SoC, item 21 in the patent picture:
vusM9oU.png

And here are the copper contacts we see in the patent, item 11 in the patent:
SmvZrHs.png

Now, IIRC the patent also describes item 5d as being stacked memory.
If there is stacked memory on the bottom of the SoC, there could be some meaning to putting the GDDR6 chips in the bottom of the PCB.

I'll try to find the patent text and then I'll update this post.
If that is a "heatsink" and not just a custom looking backplate then what does tiny little plate like that can actually do? It is under the metal casing without airflow.

I am betting we are just seeing custom backplate design there.

Looks like a solid design. That fan is massive, hopefully it equates to fairly silent while providing good air flow. Do we know if there is 0dB mode for movie playback use case? Looks like there would be potential to run passively cooled when load is small?

Can't watch it yet. Sounds interesting as expected.
Also sounding relatively costly by remarks in here?

That's some nice engineering.

Weirdly, I like the stand and how you store the screw/plug in it. Also, like the areas for collecting dust and easy vacuuming. Easy access to both sides of the fan too.

I might have got twisted turned upside down but I'm surprised that GDDR is on the opposite side to the heatsink. Thought it would want to be covered by it too.

Nice confirmation that you add storage instead of replacing it. Means that you don't need to add another 1TB, as an additional 500GB drive can be enough if don't need much additional room and, best of all, you won't need to sell a kidney. Wow I cannot believe how they have managed to do this.

Also, my feeling is that those plates make the console unnecessarily big. Probably could have saved a couple of cm specially on the top. But it is nice that you can swap them, I expect custom plates already available at launch or soon after which probably will improve the look of the console a make it smaller. More options is always nice.

Liquid Metal as TIM is a very nice touch. Those work pretty well on PC already.

No, it's classic design. Do you see heat conducting vias anywhere on the PCB?

There is a field of decoupling caps with a heatsink pressed against them from what I saw. There must be an electrically insulating interface to them. Go to 4:46 and 5:17.

With heavy ground planes and/or filled vias to that capacitor array, it would have a heat conducting aspect to it. As decoupling capacitors, they’d be much less effective than the on-package parts due to the additional parasitic inductance to the other side of the board, so I don’t think it’s far-fetched to assume they’re dual-purpose in that sense. With their high clock speeds, they may need some aggressive target impedances to deal with their load-steps and avoid Vdroop.

Of course, they wouldn’t be as effective as a copper slug on those same vias, but this is probably a best of both worlds. And you’d already be limited in how much that portion of the board could be Swiss-cheesed with via holes for mechanical/rigidity concerns, especially under the static mechanical pressure of the heatsink assembly.

The die is strange not rectangular.
It is very rectangular. That’s an extreme aspect ratio. Maybe even 2:1 or greater. Normally they have limits for that.

Last edited:
Wasn't there, what appeared to be, a thermal spreader on the backside of the SOC? Thought it was one of the first things he removed?

Have to say:
1. I love that base and integrated screw case. That is some very nice forethought. Absolutely love it.
2. That's no space station.. that's a heatsink! Dayum. That is, well, hell I don't know what to say? Huge? Impressive? Unique?
3. Love the dust traps. More forethought.
4. 10Gbps USB ports. Handy for your future cold storage needs.

Now to watch it again. And probably again.......

Wow impressive, much of heatsink over a large area, looks very clean. Such a large heatsink can get rid of alot of heat.

Edit: liquid metal? Had that been used before, pc space? Exotic things we get atleast, like the ssd solution and the tempest audio. Like it ;)

Last edited:
Back