Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I wonder if the adapter will be released only to certain regions.

I'm hoping to get the usb connector to plug it to pc and use the open source camera driver, then hopefully to get PCVR to run on psvr as good as on PS4. Maybe even better.

I'd forgotten about this free adaptor guff, where is my application form Sony? And right when something that will have me dusting off my PSVR has come out finally :devilish:

nJ4wHyB.png

liquid metal confirmed and 120 mm fan

That heatsink tho'!
Dual intake fan
Liquid metal TIM (I love being wrong, this is wild exotic stuff)
Love the little touches like the retainer in the stand for the base screw
Vacuum holes for the dust traps is a great idea, may not be less necessary for XBSX given it appears to a giant chimney?

I wonder if the vacuum holes came in because user stripping of that heatsink is going to be nigh on impossible as I'd imagine you won't be able to buy a 50ml bottle of that liquid metal any time soon for reapplication. Odd wee reservoir thing looks like a nightmare to deal with in manufacture

Last edited:
Yooooooooooo this is insaaaane. The console is actually pretty small without face plates. Customizable plates and a very small ps5 slim should be great. On top of that the liquid metal cooling solution is a first in console history isnt it?

Also...expansion memory slot...doesnt that mean you are adding to the 825 gigs of memory rather than replacing? So buying a 1tb memory is expanding storage to like 1.8 disregarding os and other stuff?

Yooooooooooo this is insaaaane. The console is actually pretty small without face plates. Customizable plates and a very small ps5 slim should be great. On top of that the liquid metal cooling solution is a first in console history isnt it?

Also...expansion memory slot...doesnt that mean you are adding to the 825 gigs of memory rather than replacing? So buying a 1tb memory is expanding storage to like 1.8 disregarding os and other stuff?
Yup seems that way the SSD is integrated into the board itself rather than being a standard drive as in PS3/4, I just hope their boot logic will allow boot from the external drive if the internal one fails

Yes, that was always clear. The SSD is soldered in and you can only expand, not replace. Same as the X.

Liquid metal? Does the PS5 employ Galinstan alloy tinside the heatpipes? Every now and then somebody tries to market PC heatsinks based on this principle but, somehow, they've never been popular.

The silicon die is clearly visible full screen at 5'03" now it should be possible to deduce its area.

Glad to see there's enough space for a M.2 SSD and a generous heatsink. That should increase the number of high-speed SSDs we can use for expansion.

So we're looking at confirmation of the sandwich heatsink patent, right?

hvAuIK3.jpg

This is the heatsink sitting in the opposite side of the SoC, item 21 in the patent picture:
vusM9oU.png

And here are the copper contacts we see in the patent, item 11 in the patent:
SmvZrHs.png

Now, IIRC the patent also describes item 5d as being stacked memory.
If there is stacked memory on the bottom of the SoC, there could be some meaning to putting the GDDR6 chips in the bottom of the PCB.

I'll try to find the patent text and then I'll update this post.

EDIT: here it is:

As illustrated in FIG. 1, an electronic component is disposed on the upper surface (first surface) of the circuit board 10. The electronic component is, for example, a heat generating component that generates heat during operation. In the example of the electronic equipment 1, an integrated circuit apparatus 5, which is a heat generating component, is disposed on the circuit board 10.
The integrated circuit apparatus 5 is, for example, a microprocessor, a memory, an analog signal processing circuit, or other components but is not limited thereto. Also, the integrated circuit apparatus 5 may be a system in package (Sip) having a plurality of integrated circuit (IC) chips (silicon die) sealed inside a single package. In this case, the integrated circuit apparatus 5 may be a Sip having a plurality of IC chips arranged horizontally side by side or a Sip having a plurality of IC chips arranged vertically side by side.
In the example illustrated in FIG. 1, the integrated circuit apparatus 5 has two IC chips 5c and 5d that are vertically stacked one on top of the other. An electronic component susceptible to temperature effects may be disposed on the circuit board 10 in place of the integrated circuit apparatus 5.

So the patent clearly points at a stacked setup (I only see that this is applicable to a plurality of ICs), but it doesn't mention memory on 5d specifically. It only says that 5d and 5c are two distinct chips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back