Microsoft acquires ZeniMax Media (Bethesda, id Software, Arkane + 5 more) [2020-09-21, 2021-03-09]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice interview with Phil Spencer on Yahoo Finance that's getting some attention...

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/xbox-series-x-most-powerful-170813309.html

If you tie this with an interview Phil did with Ryan McCaffrey on IGN's Unlocked back on April 1, then you can kind of see how exclusives might work going forward...

Swap out Switch with Playstation & you get the gist of how I think it will work going forward.

Tommy McClain

They could have gotten a deal to publish all Zenimax games on Gamepass day 1 and it would have been much cheaper than $7.5B

The uncertainty regarding exclusivity is probably enough for Phil right now and it's definitely going to influence peoples decision when it comes to next-gen platforms. They announced this 1 day before pre-orders opened. It was deliberate. Will they release unnanounced Zenimax games on PS5? Who the fuck knows. I wouldn't really bet on it.

They do have some tech wizards at Bethesda, expecting it to look spectacular.

Not that shiny gfx aren't nice but I'd rather they look to network tech (if both wasn't an option). 'Action bar' style non-physical combat has been done to death over the last 15 yrs of MMOs. As have themepark gameworlds that show little real change from player involvement. Not saying there's anything wrong with them. Something that isn't WoW with a twist would be nice though!

They could have gotten a deal to publish all Zenimax games on Gamepass day 1 and it would have been much cheaper than $7.5B

For how long? MS aren't the only one to have courted Bethesda. If Sony had increased their rumoured $4bn bid from the start of the year we could be looking at a very different landscape right now. If EA has finally bought them it would ultimately have killed anything but ES, Fallout and Doom in the long term.

I've been playing Genshin Impact for the last couple of days and, to be honest, I've pretty much been blown away by the sheer quality and depth they've managed to put into it. I can only guess they have huge teams working on these games to ensure the level of detail and quantity of stuff realised in the world. And we got that first look at the stunning Myth game earlier this year. That got me to thinking about the viability of western studios like Bethesda when they are put into competition with Asian studios.

If more, and the trend is hapoening, AAA Asian games start to be produced and take on a western flavour I think that the ZeniMax swarm are going to to start to struggle to compete financially to build worlds as well realised and complex as their competitors can. I can imagine that the thought of this must have swam through the boardrooms of Bethesda et al before now. Maybe the sale is more of a case of survival for them than it is to stand in support of MS. It's a short time win for MS as it stands, they need to recoup the 7.5B and if the market starts to fill with viable alternatives then I can't see happening.

Nature abhors a vacuum, and if Bethesda et al disappears from the Sony market I really don't think anyone will care. There are always going to be alternatives and maybe these won't take the modding community to fix them. :)

Really? Don't be ridiculous.

Elder Scrolls and Fallout have nothing to fear from Genshin Impact.

You missed the point by quite a margin there :D Genshin is just an example, the Myth is another. We now have power house Asian developers producing AAA's. Thinking they have nothing to fear from competition is the kind of thinking that got Atari and Sega where they are today.

I've been playing Genshin Impact for the last couple of days and, to be honest, I've pretty much been blown away by the sheer quality and depth they've managed to put into it. I can only guess they have huge teams working on these games to ensure the level of detail and quantity of stuff realised in the world. And we got that first look at the stunning Myth game earlier this year. That got me to thinking about the viability of western studios like Bethesda when they are put into competition with Asian studios.

If more, and the trend is hapoening, AAA Asian games start to be produced and take on a western flavour I think that the ZeniMax swarm are going to to start to struggle to compete financially to build worlds as well realised and complex as their competitors can. I can imagine that the thought of this must have swam through the boardrooms of Bethesda et al before now. Maybe the sale is more of a case of survival for them than it is to stand in support of MS. It's a short time win for MS as it stands, they need to recoup the 7.5B and if the market starts to fill with viable alternatives then I can't see happening.

Nature abhors a vacuum, and if Bethesda et al disappears from the Sony market I really don't think anyone will care. There are always going to be alternatives and maybe these won't take the modding community to fix them. :)

Unfortunately, I won't touch this game due to the censorship in it. /sigh. Anything related to Hong Kong or Taiwan is censored out in chat, considering that my mother's side of the family is all in Taiwan, I find this gravely offensive and sad.

Not surprising since the developer is based in China, and they risk getting on the bad side of the government if they don't censor those things.

Shame, I had great hopes that China may have been on a path towards eventual democracy with eventual re-unification of Taiwan and China under an enlightened democracy, but Xi is working hard to take it back towards hardline Mao era communism.

Regards,
SB

Really? Don't be ridiculous.

Elder Scrolls and Fallout have nothing to fear from Genshin Impact.
Not this specific game, this business model. I am also a little bit worried about the terrifying popularity of games in the free-to-play to freemium to play-to-win spectrum, and how it may influence publishers to direct devs to implement more of these types of mechanics.

I still like buying a single-player game and know I can enjoy it to the fullest without being nickel-and-dimed. Obviously, excluding Assassin's Creed where Ubisoft deliberately labour progress then sell experience-boost mechanics in their in-game store.

Not this specific game, this business model. I am also a little bit worried about the terrifying popularity of games in the free-to-play to freemium to play-to-win spectrum, and how it may influence publishers to direct devs to implement more of these types of mechanics.

Agreed. That's the sort that can have drastic impacts on game design and user experiences, and not for the better. Unfortunately it only takes hooking a very small minority of gamers to make it lucrative enough for more publishers/developers to go this route.

I still like buying a single-player game and know I can enjoy it to the fullest without being nickel-and-dimed. Obviously, excluding Assassin's Creed where Ubisoft deliberately labour progress then sell experience-boost mechanics in their in-game store.

Maybe subscription models will drive these business models out to pasture. I can't stand these games because a good chunk are developed in way that makes extreme use of psychological gaming mechanics that drive addiction. You end with a small base driving all the revenue while most gamers will be short-term who leave once they realize the slow unrewarding grind is only avoidable by heavy spending.

Its easy to avoid these titles if you have the money for single sales or a subscription service. Subscription services give the option for more titles when you don't have that $60-$70 to spend at any one particular point in time.

Last edited:
Maybe subscription models will drive these business models out to pasture. I
Maybe? :LOL:
Huh dude its the exact opposite, because a subscription model doesnt get $60-70 up front off a person they have to look to other ways to earn their cash, ala nickle and dime

For how long? MS aren't the only one to have courted Bethesda. If Sony had increased their rumoured $4bn bid from the start of the year we could be looking at a very different landscape right now. If EA has finally bought them it would ultimately have killed anything but ES, Fallout and Doom in the long term.

So this was a defensive buy? And Microsoft is going to keep supplying the PS5 with games when their own platform has been struggling with exclusives for the last decade? How nice of them.

So this was a defensive buy? And Microsoft is going to keep supplying the PS5 with games when their own platform has been struggling with exclusives for the last decade? How nice of them.
I don't think I'd characterise it as defensive. Just that the 'pay Gamepass releases from Bethesda' you suggested isn't a secure strategy.

I imagine that some legacy stuff will end up on PS5 and then it might evolve to where PS5 gets new stuff a year after GamePass and then some games might be just straight exclusives to Xbox.

If a game is going to drive someone into the Xbox ecosystem it's probably going to be exclusive at some point (Elder Scrolls 6, for instance), but it probably doesn't matter to MS if a new Prey game is on PS5. The question then becomes, does Sony let MS pick and choose even? Why let MS make money off PS5 if they are keeping all the sweet plumbs like (ES, Doom, Starfield, Fallout) for Xbox only.

I imagine that some legacy stuff will end up on PS5 and then it might evolve to where PS5 gets new stuff a year after GamePass and then some games might be just straight exclusives to Xbox.

If a game is going to drive someone into the Xbox ecosystem it's probably going to be exclusive at some point (Elder Scrolls 6, for instance), but it probably doesn't matter to MS if a new Prey game is on PS5. The question then becomes, does Sony let MS pick and choose even? Why let MS make money off PS5 if they are keeping all the sweet plumbs like (ES, Doom, Starfield, Fallout) for Xbox only.

Sony would shoot themselves in the foot to spite Bethesda? Luckily, I don't think they could do that if they wanted.

This is what I originally assumed Microsoft would inevitably do once I'd had time to think about the acquisition, because it seemingly drives demand to be in the PC or Xbox platforms while allowing Microsoft to tap into revenue from what could be another massive Sony console use rbase. But most non-partisan industry insiders are of the view that Rise of the Tomb Raider taught publishers a valuable lesson about spacing releases too far apart. Firstly, marketing is one of the most expensive aspects of launching a game and you don't want to have to do it twice plus for anything story-driven it's very difficult to the late arrivers to avoid spoilers which can also diminish interest in the game not to mention people burning out on the buzz without experiencing the game, or worse, having been satisfied just watching somebody else stream it.

I think Microsoft need to be all in or out. If Microsoft genuinely believe in the GamePass service model, they can release games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout on PS5 at the same time as Xbox and PC because it's the 'value' of the service, right? You market once, drive renewed interest in GamePass for Xbox or PC owners not currently subscribing while levering full RRP revenue from PS5 owners - who are partly subsidising GamePass.

But who knows..

They could use the Sony PC playbook where they only release a title on that secondary platform when the sequel is near release on the main platform. So release to PlayStation the Fallout 6 title when Xbox and PC will be getting Fallout 7 soon.
That approach incurs costs. A double hit for marketing unless your marketing is very generic plus it's staggering your engineering effort on any one platform. While it may be necessary for some small teams to stagger development and release across platforms, it's generally not advantageous to to do this for arbitrary reasons. So what would Bethesda do in this theoretical situation? Develop and maintain Xbox, PC and PS5 versions at the same time not not release on PS5 making that maintaining a waste of time? Or not begin porting to PS5 until later when Microsoft are ready to release it on that platform which could be after the team have moved on to their next game?. Neither sound good.

Microsoft really need to commit to supporting PS5 (or not) on a title-by-title basis, otherwise they're just making their own job of developing games harder. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Better mod support and Gamepass ought to be marketed for Xbox whilst doing a simultaneous release (if it comes down to it).

How has mod support been for Fallout 4 on consoles :?: I wasn't sure if they were the same across PS4 and XO, but I guess there's no difference.

Wonder how that works for consoles given the fixed RAM - reserved / unused amounts in the base game? I suppose that'll be a bit of an issue for XSS...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back