Crysis 3

Haven't got the game yet, but from the footage I've seen, I get the impression many of the Ultra Dx11 features they've talked about aren't really in the game, or are very rare. Still haven't seen any post launch screens or video showing off their per-pixel displacement, and neither POM or tessellation for that matter. Haven't seen any sign of their updated Glossy Specular Reflections to their Voxel GI, and I even think that aside from water, no other surface gets the scree space reflections found on crysis 2 after the ultra patch they released earlyer. Have the people that have the game noticed the inclusion of those features at any moment?

Haven't got the game yet, but from the footage I've seen, I get the impression many of the Ultra Dx11 features they've talked about aren't really in the game, or are very rare. Still haven't seen any post launch screens or video showing off their per-pixel displacement, and neither POM or tessellation for that matter. Haven't seen any sign of their updated Glossy Specular Reflections to their Voxel GI, and I even think that aside from water, no other surface gets the scree space reflections found on crysis 2 after the ultra patch they released earlyer. Have the people that have the game noticed the inclusion of those features at any moment?

Just to reassure you: all of these features are practically everywhere in the game. There's POM all over the place same for SSReflections indoors and outdoors etc..

Just to reassure you: all of these features are practically everywhere in the game. There's POM all over the place same for SSReflections indoors and outdoors etc..

Cool, the few minutes of youtube videos I've seen probably don't make the game justice then. I'll eventually have my hands on the real thing though, can't wait for it.

Overall it is a system killer. I am on a 4.3 GHz 2500k, 900/1400 unlocked Cayman, and at 1080p High Quality presets sometimes it is under 30fps.

It also seems buggy, notably that tessellation bug and a strange black square I see flash in the center of the screen sometimes.

I suspect the Cayman is hurting hard. Something more along the lines of a 7950 or 670 would make a major difference.

I was a little low actually. It seems to hover in the 40s. I can deal with it. I run a mix of Very High, High and Medium. I have to run Medium shadows or funky translucent black squares flash around things sometimes.

Honestly I can barely tell the difference between Very High and Medium in most cases. Anti-Aliasing is more important.

The next upgrade for me is with the next cards. Whenever that is.

The next upgrade for me is with the next cards. Whenever that is.

Not 28 nm because I doubt those will bring sufficient enough performance upgrade in order to play Crysis 3 at max well enough.

So, it is either 20 nm or 14/16 nm afterwards.

Hehe, long way to go but I can imagine my next system's key points:

SSD or two in Raid0;
At least 8-core processor;
DDR4 or GDDR5, 16 or 32 GB;
At least Windows 9 if it improves over the fail 8...

Just finished it. Wow, just wow. Easily best looking game on highest setting, even better than mighty BF3. I love the gameplay, makes just fun playing. Story was ok as well. 11h total. For me it is the best crysis game out there, having played all parts recently.

Great. Highly recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
currently playing it at 1440p 165fps on my computer -EA Play-. The game doesnt seem that fun for now. Having completed ME3 yesterday, I am not as engaged with this game, for now.

Performance is mostly erratic at 1440p (CPU locked at 4100MHz and 1.0875V, my default setting is 4300MHz and 1.25V but I also like the former). It's like 165fps stable for most of the time at 1080p but 1080p looks quite blurry to me :/ -on my display at least-.

8w4flxB.png

xheQwDA.png

You just need to do a side by side compare with the PS3 version to appreciate what is before you. But also take a moment to appreciate what they made the PS3 do. ;)

But I just played a small bit of it out of curiosity for the PS3 version. I haven't seriously played the game in maybe 10 years. I did beat it on PC when it was new. I still think the original Crysis and Warhead are best with the large open areas that allow you, as Crysis would say, MAXIMUM freedom to optimize your mayhem.

Last edited:
Gamer Installs Crysis 3 On GeForce RTX 3090's VRAM - And It Runs

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gamer-installs-crysis-3-on-geforce-rtx-3090s-vram-and-it-runs

The RTX 3090 might be overpriced for a gaming card, especially with 24GB of VRAM you will never fully saturate...or will you? Strife212 on Twitter had the genius idea of using that 24GB frame buffer to run Crysis 3, but not in the way you think.

Using a program called "VRAM Drive" Strife212 was able to make a 15GB virtual disk on the RTX 3090's VRAM and physically install Crysis 3 onto it, leaving 9GB of VRAM remaining for Crysis 3 to use as graphics memory, which is plenty for any video game by today's standards.

She reports Crysis 3 loads fast, and performance is really good (screenshot shows 75FPS). She ran Crysis 3 at 4k very high settings with VRAM utilization barely hitting the 20GB mark.

Well that's a new way to play the game I suppose.

Gamer Installs Crysis 3 On GeForce RTX 3090's VRAM - And It Runs

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gamer-installs-crysis-3-on-geforce-rtx-3090s-vram-and-it-runs

Well that's a new way to play the game I suppose.
now that you mention it, I recently read about someone using GPU Ram Drive + Primo Cache to achieve similar results. His argument was that this would be the way to achieve the same as DirectStorage and we wouldn't need DirectStorage at all if we used that.

now that you mention it, I recently read about someone using GPU Ram Drive + Primo Cache to achieve similar results. His argument was that this would be the way to achieve the same as DirectStorage and we wouldn't need DirectStorage at all if we used that.
It's what I said a few weeks ago.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2152763/

My personal opinion. The new 3000 Series RTX have a huge amount of memory. I think the Nvidia drivers will move a lot of the assets into GPU memory and run it from there instead of hoping gamers have fast enough SSD's to utilize streaming from the drives.

If you have it, use it.

Back