Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

I wonder if those SSDs heat will be appropriately dissipated as well.

As already shown by Microsoft Series X teardowns and discussed in various interviews early in the year, the external NVME Storage Cards will use the internal heatsink cooling to dissipate the heat.

As already shown by Microsoft Series X teardowns and discussed in various interviews early in the year, the external NVME Storage Cards will use the internal heatsink cooling to dissipate the heat.

I wondered if the talk on the hot external card was the inverse and the hot internal heatsink is actually heating the NVME given its a physical connection. Heat transfer will be bidirectional.

Heat should be a sign of good thermal transfer from a high powered chip.

It's not a full size ATX case, so...

Once the embargo gets lifted I think it's going to be interesting to have gamer's nexus or similar analyze how hot the SoCs can get.

Heat should be a sign of good thermal transfer from a high powered chip.

It's not a full size ATX case, so...
Yea, I would hope that the article of concern is not about the heat exiting through the exhaust because that would be a good thing lol.

I'm banking on the total device being toasty however, there's no doubt in my mind. 300W in such a small form factor. I'm going to want this one outside of my TV cab.

Yea, I would hope that the article of concern is not about the heat exiting through the exhaust because that would be a good thing lol.

I'm banking on the total device being toasty however, there's no doubt in my mind. 300W in such a small form factor. I'm going to want this one outside of my TV cab.

I'd be curious if there's any difference between vertical and horizontal placement. Blowing the hot air into the ground seems like it would be less efficient somehow, but maybe it does not matter in the grand scheme?

edit:

I might have it backwards afterall. The air flow animation shows it blowing upwards.

Last edited:
Let's see how the higher clocked PS5 handles things especially one folks can stick another heat generating NVME inside.

These tests are probably torture tests for the series X. All the journalists can report on (and so I assume have focused in on) is IO hammering both the internal and expansion drive. Smart resume may well be hitting both at once if the game is on the external drive and the saved state will be internal.

That said space it likely to be limited around the Series X if you put it into a regular TV stand so it's heat output may be of interest if your planning your setup options.
The replaceable SSD is going to be cooled internally, people won't be able to touch it. Besides PS5 is protected by the white covers (with a space between them and the inside).

The replaceable SSD is going to be cooled internally, people won't be able to touch it. Besides PS5 is protected by the white covers (with a space between them and the inside).

I was referring to how much heat the console as a unit will be expelling, the drive being cooled internally means it's heat will leave with the main systems. The combination of APU memory and another high performance (hot) drive running in the system.

Side note I wonder if the clear cartridge casing for the XsX external drive is in part to protect the user from it's heat?

Here's a few test scenarios I'd like to see happen.

Series X to Series S
  1. Pick a game that's SeriesX|S optimized and has One X enhancements.
  2. Install game on Series X.
  3. Move to external NVME Storage Card
  4. Plug Storage Card into Series S
  5. Look under Storage Management and see if listed as Shrinkable Game
  6. Launch Game to see if "Game Update" is required.

Series X to One X

3. Move to external USB drive
  4. Plug external USB drive into One X

Series X to One S

4. Plug external USB drive into One S

Series S to One X
  2. Install game on Series S.
  4. Plug external USB drive into One X

Series S to One S
  2. Install game on Series S.
  4. Plug external USB drive into One S

And here is Jeff Grubb's video on Xbox Series X AutoHDR...

I've tested auto-HDR in a number of backward compatible games on a preview version of the Xbox Series X hardware. And it's a big benefit. Every game I tested maxes out at 1,000 Nits, which is a measure of luminance. When it comes to HDR, 1,000 Nits is a gold standard for the bright highlights in an image. HDR expert Adam Fairclough, @EvilBoris on Twitter (who you should follow), helped out with this by grabbing a heatmap of some of my HDR footage. Check it out!

I'm still surprised we haven't gotten a 4k update for Alan Wake yet for Xbox One X. I'm literally not going to play that 540p mess until they do lmao.

And here is Jeff Grubb's video on Xbox Series X AutoHDR...

That is FUGLY and if you think the metric for HDR quality is "Does it max out luminance?" then you really, really don't understand what luminance is. Is this better than the god awful "HDR" in RDR2 yes, is it good? No.

Most people leave their TVs on colour modes that look like shit, too blue, too interpolated, etc, etc this just makes perfectly good games look like shit in a different way than before, now randomly white objects will be made of pure plasma so they "pop", ugh.

if you think the metric for HDR quality is "Does it max out luminance?" then you really, really don't understand what luminance is. Is this better than the god awful "HDR" in RDR2 yes, is it good? No.
One of the reasons I couldn't be bothered to post the video was because I would've felt compeled to say he obviously doesn't understand it, or having serious issues explaining to his viewers.

But evil boris definitely knows his stuff, so will be interesting hearing first hand or via a source with more understanding.

What I will say is I was still grateful for the video.

Last edited:
Yeah it seems as if Evil Boris was simply confirming that AutoHDR does a better job of using the whole luminance scale as opposed to being clamped the way some bad implementations are (hi RDR2 again) and your man kind of lost the run of himself. The HDTVtest crew truly know what they're on about so I'd love to see them follow up but at the end of the day I am as fundamentally opposed to the idea of interpolated HDR as I am to colourised Casablance just to lay my cards on the table here

Back