Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

The blog post was eh, yeah good for you. LOL They did open up 200 more backward compatible games over the weekend. We should see some more impressions this week.

Tommy McClain

The new beta app does allow this. I'm looking at my XB1X right now & it shows a total of 4TB of space, but that's just my external USB drive. So I guess it's showing your primary storage device.

Tommy McClain
Oh cool, I'll have to see what it allows you to do.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/lestream-xbox-series-x-is-hot.301070/

Full quote : "I don't know if we can talk about this but, we have the Series X here and the Series X is hot, it is hot. It makes 0 noise but on the other hand it gives off heat, it's violent. I mean it's violent... yeah, yeah it's violent. You can warm up thanks to the Series X, clearly. From a sound point of view it's good but from a heat point of view, it's something."

Mmm.... I wonder if this is true I wonder if the Xbox team went too small and the system cannot dissipate heat appropriately which raises the question about reliability.

Be careful with your fingers:

Once we have Series X-specific software to test, and an embargo to match, I'll have more on how hot this runs. Also, anyone who would touch the proprietary expandable NVMe drive's aluminum part after it was being used in the system is not smart. NVMe drives are notorious for running at very high temps. He should probably try a lick test next.

Ars-Technica guy

https://www.resetera.com/threads/lestream-xbox-series-x-is-hot.301070/page-2#post-47714105

I wonder if those SSDs heat will be appropriately dissipated as well.

Yup without someone with a thermometer on multiple series X I'd be inclined to wait and see. There are multiple things that could be going on here from manufacturing defects to the Microsoft team deciding they can handle a higher ambient temp in the Series X just fine and deciding to prioritise noise levels instead.

Never even thought of the NVMe heat radiating out of the expansion drive, yeah that will probably get pretty toasty over time but I'd be sceptical that it will affect operation apart from the use case where I was planning on having a pocket full of them and regularly hot swapping them (not sure there is more than two or three oil barons effected by this)

Never even thought of the NVMe heat radiating out of the expansion drive, yeah that will probably get pretty toasty over time but I'd be sceptical that it will affect operation apart from the use case where I was planning on having a pocket full of them and regularly hot swapping them (not sure there is more than two or three oil barons effected by this)

It's really all about the form factor. I can record 1080p at 60fps with my A6000 for very longs times without having any heat issues. My gopro on the other hand, being completely sealed off can get hot very quickly.

I do wonder why nobody is talking about how warm the NVME and the console are. Based on the AT guy comments, it looks like it is under embargo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it getting hot a design flaw so long as it runs quietly?
It's not necessarily but depending on where you were planning on putting your Series X it may necessitate moving it away from something else that doesn't behave well with a strong heat source nearby (like a HTPC or NAS). Of course you shouldn't shove consoles into enclosed spaces anyway but a lot of people do and if the Series X is designed to operate at a higher ambient temp than is typical for consoles that may mean people who have gotten away with ignoring that in the past may find themselves tripped up now.

Edit: To be clear I'm not saying this even is an issue, without actual temps it's hard to say. When I was selling notebooks I've had people describe 30C surface temperature to me both as "warm to the touch" and as "scalding" so I don't put much faith in folks saying "wow that's toasty" without actual numbers

Last edited:
Did Sony and Microsoft meet in a deep, dark room somewhere and agree to swap last generation's console design flaws this go around?
If it's quiet, doesn't throttle, runs within spec, sounds like a job well done to me?

Obviously if it's causing 2nd degree burns then, yea a flaw.
Edit: To be clear I'm not saying this even is an issue, without actual temps it's hard to say. When I was selling notebooks I've had people describe 30C surface temperature to me as warm to the touch and as "scalding" so I don't put much faith in folks saaying "wow that's toasty" without actual numbers
think we're going to have to wait for proper temp and noise comparisons for all consoles.

From my initial takeaway, xsx and ps5 have done a good job in this regards. (I'm expecting xss to also do well)

Last edited:
Because of the form factor similarities maybe it's like the MacPro "trash can" issues, where the unit itself doesn't get too hot but it expels heats at 35-40º C, which can be quite annoying depending on the time of the year.

edit: as a completely irrelevant point I game on my PC way less in the summer because of how hot my room gets.

If you look up CE and FCC requirements, you will see that how hot a device is allowed to get is quite high. Warm to touch is the entry level :)
We sell APs and they get hot and as Lalaland said, when people talk about them you would think its hot like the sun.
Then againI had customer that manage to put a duve above it and it melted and they complained about fire hazard, since it melted.
The reason it did not cause a fire was because the plastic is infused with fire inhibiting chemicals to avoid it catching fire.
Also when people place their AP in the windows in direct sunlight and complain about it overheating is a nice one. :D

Seems to be a minor issue
I'ld take heat over noise by a long margin

Though if its designed to be touch, they will have to put some warnings on their / or on the screen and theres danger of being burnt
otherwise they will end up with a lawsuit on their hands ala macdonalds coffee style

Seems to be a minor issue
I'ld take heat over noise by a long margin

Though if its designed to be touch, they will have to put some warnings on their / or on the screen and theres danger of being burnt
otherwise they will end up with a lawsuit on their hands ala macdonalds coffee style
Caution moving whilst in the middle of a game as exaust may be warm/hot.

Yesterday was such a let down in regards to more info. At this rate I might need to get a life.

Let's see how the higher clocked PS5 handles things especially one folks can stick another heat generating NVME inside.

These tests are probably torture tests for the series X. All the journalists can report on (and so I assume have focused in on) is IO hammering both the internal and expansion drive. Smart resume may well be hitting both at once if the game is on the external drive and the saved state will be internal.

That said space it likely to be limited around the Series X if you put it into a regular TV stand so it's heat output may be of interest if your planning your setup options.

Why is it getting hot a design flaw so long as it runs quietly?

If it's quiet, doesn't throttle, runs within spec, sounds like a job well done to me?

Obviously if it's causing 2nd degree burns then, yea a flaw.
think we're going to have to wait for proper temp and noise comparisons for all consoles.

From my initial takeaway, xsx and ps5 have done a good job in this regards. (I'm expecting xss to also do well)

I was just joking. I don't much care how hot a console gets, as long as it remains functional. @orangpelupa and his cats may disagree, however.

The fact that it's quiet is what matters most IMO.

It's one of the reasons why i assumed they made the base non removable.

Laying it horizontally people would leave space at the exhaust but not at the bottom.
This way will get about from the bottom and back.
I was just joking. I don't much care how hot a console gets, as long as it remains functional. @orangpelupa and his cats may disagree, however.

The fact that it's quiet is what matters most IMO.
No problem, you do see this kind of thought around though.

I do wonder how much the reports are also based on previous console usage. Hence why I said be nice when there all measured.

Every xbox one has been quiet, so people are xsx is just as quiet, possibly hotter.

But if your main console has been ps4, then the difference is a lot bigger. And let's be honest most of the Japanese reports will be from people wbo game on ps4.

Last edited:
Heat is not avoidable since XSX runs on a large SOC quite high clocked, then the SSD... Also the GDDR6 chips must produce quite some heat... What is important is the 31 DB of noise under max load (that's nothing)...

Back