Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Design never bothered me but it's grown on me, I wish it was a tad smaller but if it's quiet the tradeoff is worth it.

Does anyone know if you have to order that tray to lay the console (with drive) on its side?

To my knowledge, that's the one it comes with. The vertical stand needs to be ordered separately.

I've pre-ordered the one with the disc drive, so if it doesn't come with the horizontal stand, you'll find me on here cursing the bastards.

To my knowledge, that's the one it comes with. The vertical stand needs to be ordered separately.

I've pre-ordered the one with the disc drive, so if it doesn't come with the horizontal stand, you'll find me on here cursing the bastards.
Nope, the verticle stand which comes with the console and also acts as horizontal stand from what I can see, I don't know how they plan to lock it into place while horizontal but I am sure there will be documentation that comes with the console that will explain.

Nope, the verticle stand which comes with the console and also acts as horizontal stand from what I can see, I don't know how they plan to lock it into place while horizontal but I am sure there will be documentation that comes with the console that will explain.

Yes this the same stand used for vertical and horizontal position. The stand of disck PS5 and PS5 DE is different.

I never really bought a sony console . My first system was the intellivsion followed by the nes then genesis and from there it was all sega until the dreamcast died. I picked up the original xbox because of shenmue 2 and panzer dragoon. I did own other systems like the gamecube but I would normally get a console later on in its life. But when I was around 8 i started playing games at my uncles on his pc. When i turned 10 he took me to buy all the parts and he built and I helped built a 386 sx 16mhz and i gamed on that for years all the way up till I convinced my parents to get me a pentium 2 with a viva 128. So pc gaming has always been my love. Ultima , wing commander , populus , theme park , civ , fall out , x com and the likes are all my favorite series. The type of games I play the most are games that Sony doesn't really make. Now MS is buying up more RPG and FPS studios so more and more i'm shifting over to being an xbox fan but xbox on pc.
Well I started with a 286 DX40, then 486 DX2-80 then Pentium etc.
PC Games I enjoy most are fps shooters or 3rd person RPG's. RTS games haven't really been my thing but once in a while I find a good RTS game and then do play that.

On the PS though, I prefer RPG 3rd person games like Second Son, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War(the best game this generation imo and better than anything on PC), Ghost of Tsushima etc.

I was thinking about it the other day and since I got the PS4 at beginning 2014, I have actually bought more games on the PS4 than I have for my PC. That's saying a lot imo.

Last edited:
DF says the GPU most close to the one on ps5 is a 2060 super.... [emoji848]... not the same but similar in overall performances...
You back from your self imposed excile?

DF didn't say it's close, Alex was comparing the 2060 Super to the PS5 because it's closest to 5700(which has 36 CU's) and also does RT. Of course the 5700 is only Navi 1, so behind in performance to the new Navi 2 GPU's. The Super also has the same bandwidth as the PS5 hence the comparison.

We don't know what the PS5 GPU is currently so comparisons are just that.

Last edited:
You back from your self imposed excile?

DF didn't say it's close, Alex was comparing the 2060 Super to the PS5 because it's closest to 5700(which has 36 CU's) and also does RT. Of course the 5700 is only Navi 1, so behind in performance to the new Navi 2 GPU's. The Super also has the same bandwidth as the PS5 hence the comparison.

We don't know what the PS5 GPU is currently so comparisons are just that.
Hope Sony feels now a bit more the push of giving the console in the hands of someone who can test it...

Hope Sony feels now a bit more the push of giving the console in the hands of someone who can test it...

Maybe they don't have the authorization from amd yet to show some of the gpu specs, so they can produce a presentation like MS did. For the rest, like a tear down or some influencer having it, their is still time... The product is already hyped like crazy, they don't "need" it ....

Maybe they don't have the authorization from amd yet to show some of the gpu specs, so they can produce a presentation like MS did. For the rest, like a tear down or some influencer having it, their is still time... The product is already hyped like crazy, they don't "need" it ....
The hype can turn in delusions quite quickly...

Maybe they don't have the authorization from amd yet to show some of the gpu specs, so they can produce a presentation like MS did.
Pretty confident that's not the case.
You would be talking about things in RDNA2 that xsx doesn't have.
I can believe the PS5 has things the xsx doesn't, but not RDNA2 given that they have said its RDNA2.

Also, it's not like they've been very open in general. Regardless if you think this is the right approach or not.

The only way amd would be involved right now is if they both wanted to do a joint PR kinda thing.

The hype can turn in delusions quite quickly...

True. But I don't believe not showing off before launch will hurt them a lot. They're doing fine, imo of course. But, to be fair, I preordered it, so they don't need to convince me.

Pretty confident that's not the case.
You would be talking about things in RDNA2 that xsx doesn't have.
I can believe the PS5 has things the xsx doesn't, but not RDNA2 given that they have said its RDNA2.

Also, it's not like they've been very open in general. Regardless if you think this is the right approach or not.

The only way amd would be involved right now is if they both wanted to do a joint PR kinda thing.

Yeah I was thinking about the rumored "it's more rdna3 than 2" parts, if it true. Or some RDNA2 stuff that MS decided not to pick, but that will be in the PC parts and in the PS5. IF that the case, maybe we will learn more after the 28th. And maybe Sony just doesn't care about showing technical stuff to the public, which I can understand too. It's all speculation anyway :)

"Comparable to a liquid cooling system" is meaningless, I've had plenty of high quality air cooled heatsinks over the years that have outperformed cheapo h2o kits. "New Grid Metal" is interesting though, do they mean a new spreader/cap design or have they added something new to the chip itself to improve thermal conductivity to the heatsink?

Did Sony release any of this type of detailed info for the ps4? I seem to remember only 18 cu and ram etc.
More details was not publicly released, but leaked from dev docs etc.
If that is the case, i think we should not expect any detailed tech demo.

I will jump on the teardown bandwagon on the 14th of November if Sony has not released one by then. From what I found when I looked last time the teardown came the day after release for the PS4 PRO. Dont think there was an official Sony one for the PS4.

In the latest non-video from totally-not-redgamingtech, whom have totally-not-revealed features for RDNA2 like the Infinity Cache months before anyone else, stated the following about the PS5:

- When discussing Sony's patent about the sandwich cooler, totally-not-Paul asked the source about the 5d description in the patent's picture that seems to point to external memory. The source answered "think of it like the Vita's VRAM".

This would point to the Vita's WideIO VRAM.

hvAuIK3.jpg

It could be that the PS5 doesn't have an on-chip Infinity Cache like the RDNA2 GPUs, but it has a large external cache that connects through TSV (WideIO 2? HBM?) on the bottom of the SoC.

Did Sony release any of this type of detailed info for the ps4? I seem to remember only 18 cu and ram etc.
More details was not publicly released, but leaked from dev docs etc.
If that is the case, i think we should not expect any detailed tech demo.

I will jump on the teardown bandwagon on the 14th of November if Sony has not released one by then. From what I found when I looked last time the teardown came the day after release for the PS4 PRO. Dont think there was an official Sony one for the PS4.
I don't remember any official teardown of the PS4 but the PS5 we have more info like 36CU's confirmed by Cerny in The Road to PS5.

Really no point not disclosing things like what has been nowadays.
Soon after release we'll get die shots, memory breakdown etc etc.
That's even if dev docs don't leak.

May as well put it out there with positive reasons why you did it.
Sure 90% of people aren't going to care, but you may as well own the narrative.

In the latest non-video from totally-not-redgamingtech, whom have totally-not-revealed features for RDNA2 like the Infinity Cache months before anyone else, stated the following about the PS5:

- When discussing Sony's patent about the sandwich cooler, totally-not-Paul asked the source about the 5d description in the patent's picture that seems to point to external memory. The source answered "think of it like the Vita's VRAM".

This would point to the Vita's WideIO VRAM.

hvAuIK3.jpg

It could be that the PS5 doesn't have an on-chip Infinity Cache like the RDNA2 GPUs, but it has a large external cache that connects through TSV (WideIO 2? HBM?) on the bottom of the SoC.
The problem I have with Paul is his leaks are everything and nothing! It might be that he has reported something real though. Guess we will learn if it's true or not. But his leaks cover a wide range and sometimes something sticks. Also the above cooler patent, I saw it featuring across the web before I saw Paul report on it.

For those wondering, @ToTTenTranz is talking about the below video and the section I have set it at.

Last edited:
Back