Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same rules apply now too, right? Those 2060Ss top out at 8GB

Yes but that's the equivalent of a 4GB GPU from the start of this gen rather than the 2GB models that have been discussed on recent pages.

Over time though its totally reasonable to expect Turing to fall back vs consoles given that the code running on consoles will become more optimised vs less optimised (and eventually unsupported completely) in Turing case.

Yes but that's the equivalent of a 4GB GPU from the start of this gen rather than the 2GB models that have been discussed on recent pages.
Yeah one thing we really wanted to try and check out but never got the chance to yet was to take a 4 GB version of the radeion R265 or 275 (i forget the exact model number) and put it against an early gen title and a late gen one like Horizon or Death Stranding and compare that to the Ps4. That GPU (the 265/275 or whatever it is called) is incredibly close specswise to the PS4 GPU but with a larger vram pool than the 7850 or 7870 ever shipped with. We would then look to see how that fairs against the PS4. Sadly, Horizon is not a good port and Death Stranding has limits on DX 12 support which require tiled resources level that GPU does not support (due to them adding in PRT to the PC verison which was not in the PS4 verision).

One day we will find the proper title to do that with. Maybe a call of duty or something.

There's a pretty big power difference between them, but that'd make for interesting viewing.

Or revisit this :p

Yeah one thing we really wanted to try and check out but never got the chance to yet was to take a 4 GB version of the radeion R265 or 275 (i forget the exact model number) and put it against an early gen title and a late gen one like Horizon or Death Stranding and compare that to the Ps4. That GPU (the 265/275 or whatever it is called) is incredibly close specswise to the PS4 GPU but with a larger vram pool than the 7850 or 7870 ever shipped with. We would then look to see how that fairs against the PS4. Sadly, Horizon is not a good port and Death Stranding has limits on DX 12 support which require tiled resources level that GPU does not support (due to them adding in PRT to the PC verison which was not in the PS4 verision).

One day we will find the proper title to do that with. Maybe a call of duty or something.

I've been waiting years for an article along those lines (redux every generation). I think its the R265 you're thinking of which is basically the PS4 GPU in desktop format. A few games I'd consider to represent the pinnacle of the non exclusive console generation outside of those already mentioned would be RDR2, Doom Eternal, maybe AC Odyssey.

I've been waiting years for an article along those lines (redux every generation). I think its the R265 you're thinking of which is basically the PS4 GPU in desktop format. A few games I'd consider to represent the pinnacle of the non exclusive console generation outside of those already mentioned would be RDR2, Doom Eternal, maybe AC Odyssey.

I think the 2013 consoles generation was the first where you didnt have to upgrade if you had a matching GPU at the time of launch, and could have the PC setup for an entire generation. Even the best looking pc game still runs as well on the 7850. Same settings as base ps4.

I think the 2013 consoles generation was the first where you didnt have to upgrade if you had a matching GPU at the time of launch, and could have the PC setup for an entire generation. Even the best looking pc game still runs as well on the 7850. Same settings as base ps4.

Dude, no. It really doesn't. I've just demonstrated several examples to the contrary. Your video is also contrarian to what you're saying.

Keep it civil please.

I've just demonstrated several examples to the contrary.

I can come with just as many to prove my point, i said that before. But with HZD, it goes to show that a 2gb 7850 can handle this game just fine.

. Your video is also contrarian to what you're saying.

It shows that a native PS4 game, one of the best looking ones at that, runs fine on a 7850, which was a close match to the base PS4 in 2013, and it still is today. The video even shows 'original' settings which is a match for the PS4, and a very close to 30fps.

I got all excited when a new DF video popped up on my feed, I thought it's been a week this must be the next Xbox Series X drop....

The annual Sony COD demos I mean Alpha and beta coverage whilst good did not quite hit the next gen spot.

The benchmark is not representative of in game performance. You have been through this several times with multiple posters. To achieve a solid 30fps in gameplay the 7850 has to run at 720p.

Keep it civil please.
...he said "Dude"
It shows that a native PS4 game, one of the best looking ones at that, runs fine on a 7850, which was a close match to the base PS4 in 2013, and it still is today. The video even shows 'original' settings which is a match for the PS4, and a very close to 30fps.
It will absolutely choke in gameplay. I mean not the best pick as it's not exactly a stellar port, but if you're going to use it, you've gotta use actual gameplay. Even in the benchmark it's hitting 27fps, there will be plenty of places in the actual game where it will be in the low 20's (such as when it starts raining).

It shows that a native PS4 game, one of the best looking ones at that, runs fine on a 7850, which was a close match to the base PS4 in 2013, and it still is today.

Wrong again. Here it is in gameplay

720p and 33% slower framerate. That is incredibly far away from being a "close match".

Edit: beaten to it.

Not even 30fps at 720p on low setting, probably low vram and pcie bus over saturation is the problem, because gpu is faster in theory:

That vid is not low settings, its the original preset. But ya its a poor showing no matter how you look at it. Consoles age far better than PC hardware, especially when looking at the Nvidia side where long term value absolutely tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back