Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Nintendo VR

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

3d20tt

Hi.
Oculus Quest 2 requires a Facebook account https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...he-299-oculus-quest-2-as-your-next-vr-system/ so there's room for standalone VR competition.
Nintendo can be it, and there are rumors of a 2021 new Switch, with some firmware about 2 screens hinting at VR [don't have links, i read about it in some forum].
So, asuming it is so, how does the CPU and GPU [and whatever else] of Facebook Quest 1 and 2 compare with present Switch's, and with potential CPU and GPU candidates for a 2021 or later VR Superswitch [or other standalone VR that may appear]?
Thx.

1. Q2 does requires FB account and if you get banned on oculus, Fb account will stay alive. But if you got banned on FB, you also got banned on oculus.
2. 2 physical screen or two side-by-side view? If its side-by-side view, nintendo already activated it on Zelda Botw, cardboard VR thingy.
3. PSVR2 was rumored to be standalone AND not standalone, probably like Quest+link. There's also standalone offering from HTC or HP IIRC

1) Q2 will be the best portable vr unit this year so if you want vr get it and make a facebook account that you don't post anything important too

2) VR on the switch is not what you want. Your better off getting a cosmos or something

3) IF you can wait decently far into 2021 you might just see some cool stuff

"2 physical screen or two side-by-side view?"​
either, idk, it's for a rumored new hardware.

"make a facebook account that you don't post anything important"​
can one make a non-person [like some 'org' or smthing] facebook account [without having to have first your 'real name' account]?

"VR on the switch is not what you want"​
it's not on the switch but on a new 2021 Nintendo model. [but it might use same CPU or same whatever, so thats why it's included in the question.]

I will never pay for a device where I cannot turn off facebook datamining and selling everything they can find, of value or not.

I don’t believe in a Nintendo device.
Regardless of manufacturer, it has to pay off in entertainment value. When it comes to stand alone VR, Nintendo art style suits the limited capabilities of the currently available SoCs, but again, I don’t see them comitting to VR content production. And content is still lacking in VR space unfortunately. I’d pay a bit to help get development off the ground, as I recognize the chicken-and-egg problem, but then I’d like a high resolution headset that could be used for other than gaming.

HP G2+ levels of resolution, with (optional) tethering capability, or 802.11ay wireless.

i guess google, Sony and MS are "datamining" as much as Facebook, and you can just create a generic account only for use with oculus headsets.

I am pretty excited about this. It is probably not perfect in many ways, but I want to try it out nonetheless. It will be a cheap although not perfect (because of the video compression) way to hook up to a PC and it will be an easy way to bring this with me to play beat-saber and such anywhere. And I am very curious about the screen quality for video too or what this would be like with virtual screens etc.

I don’t really care about the Facebook login - I use Facebook anyway. And this price is really good. I play beatsaber a lot on the PS4 Pro, which plays and looks great already, and am curious to see how the playstation version holds up against it on the Quest 2. I play at a very high level so I am probably going to notice differences between 72hz and 90hz, and will look forward to the software update that enables that officially.

If I end up properly using it I will probably get the better strap, that looks decent.

This was me today. Lots of mistakes but it is the first time passing these songs at these levels

What the cat?! Expert+ has been a looong term project (with some hiatus during the hot summer). And even then this is on slower song mod.

And the first song was just for fun, Expert+ faster song with disappearing arrows.

Will eventually get this with better scores, but I think the number of people who passed What the Cat?! Is pretty small as you can already get a pretty high score even with no-fail mode (I think I had a high 3000 ranking with no fail mode).

Will check my ranking next time, sometimes takes a while to update.

"2 physical screen or two side-by-side view?"​
either, idk, it's for a rumored new hardware.

"make a facebook account that you don't post anything important"​
can one make a non-person [like some 'org' or smthing] facebook account [without having to have first your 'real name' account]?

"VR on the switch is not what you want"​
it's not on the switch but on a new 2021 Nintendo model. [but it might use same CPU or same whatever, so thats why it's included in the question.]

Let me ask you a question. What was the last Nintendo console to push the limits of hardware ? The switch is always going to be target at the portable hand held form factor. So i see two options. 1) Nintendo creates a contraption like the galaxy vr stuff where you slot your switch 2 into it and get vr. Its going to be a split screen. How high res do you think they will go ? If its a 1080p screen boom you got a psvr or maybe even a step down depending on how large the screen is. Heck depending on the tegra they go with it may even only be ps4 level hardware 2) Nintendo makes a dedicated vr unit. At the same time nintendo would have to support 2 systems again and spread out their developers. I don't see that happening.

I guess there is a third. You can plug your switch via wire and have the switch 2 on your hip and it runs up to a visor with a dedicated screen and battery ? I dunno

Yea i wouldn't hold my breath on a full switch 2 vr thing. Its going to be weird like cardboard .

For me . If i want to play vr i play it at home in a safe space and i have an expensive computer that I keep updated. SO i would always recommend a index or reverb 2. Index has the refresh rate and the better controllers and tracking. Reverb 2 doesn't require light houses and has higher resolution. I went with the index. I believe valve will continue releasing new index headsets that use the knuckles and light houses and so in the future i just need to buy a new headset (index is only $500 that way)

Now if you want something to take on trips with you the best option is the OC2 and its going to be that way through most of 2021 and maybe into 2022 depending on companies release dates and how covid changed them. I just don't see myself playing vr on the go.

if you want something to take on trips with you the best option is the OC2 and its going to be that way through most of 2021 and maybe into 2022 depending on companies release dates and how covid changed them. I just don't see myself playing vr on the go.
Besides their spying [If Goog does it too, doesn't it make acceptable], FB bans ppl for not having the 'correct' ideology or whatever, leaving you with a bricked HW/lose 'your' games.
Understanding 'standalone VR' as without requiring a PC [with the capability of connecting to one a plus], for some it might be about mobility- for me is about not needing the PC, about having the closest to a 'traditional' console-like experience [instant, no patches, no humongous game sizes, no config], so FBQ2 could be good [better than Switch: game sizes below 4GB...] except i have no intention of opening a real-name account with them.
I originaly put this tread in Console Technology, i guess better it got moved here so ppl can also put clips/images [idk how easy is to capture those to show in 2D]/talk about standalone version of VR games to see how good or not they can be.

Besides their spying [If Goog does it too, doesn't it make acceptable], FB bans ppl for not having the 'correct' ideology or whatever, leaving you with a bricked HW/lose 'your' games.
Understanding 'standalone VR' as without requiring a PC [with the capability of connecting to one a plus], for some it might be about mobility- for me is about not needing the PC, about having the closest to a 'traditional' console-like experience [instant, no patches, no humongous game sizes, no config], so FBQ2 could be good [better than Switch: game sizes below 4GB...] except i have no intention of opening a real-name account with them.
I originaly put this tread in Console Technology, i guess better it got moved here so ppl can also put clips/images [idk how easy is to capture those to show in 2D]/talk about standalone version of VR games to see how good or not they can be.

You could you know just make a fb account and never post to it at all.

Anyway your not going to ever get the same experience from a device that is primary meant for a different purpose.

its like water sealing all of your car and making it so it floats and then trying to to cross the Atlantic ocean. Like yea you could try but I"m sure you'll have a better experience in an actual boat .

You could you know just make a fb account and never post to it at all.
I'm not buying anything in 2020 so i can avoid them.
They can change their TOS, if their have your name they might not 'like' you for whatever reason and ban you from FB even without posts there, or they might start requiring 'activity' there, 'friends', family interaction... and anyway this thread is not about me, many ppl are already socialy invested in FB and might lose their FBQ2 for not complying with their overseers agenda, an interruption in the internet, or whatever.

As for a 'Superswitch VR' HW, well have to wait, idk if you are wrong but i hope they'll do it well. Games, for sure it will have some better than FB's.
If not, competition has to come, hopefully fron companies whose business is just gaming, and don't spy nor curtail freedom of speech. Maybe SEGA, or Intellivision [that is going to release a true console soon].

[The graphic level of even Q1 is enough for me. I doubt it, but if good standalone VR competition doesn't come, then FB is it.]

Not cheap, the cable is £90

Quest got update which makes any old usb2 cable work. Quest doesn't really use a lot of bandwidth. Fancy official cable is not necessary for anything but very long cables like 5m. I use some random cheap 3m long usb3 cable and it worked just fine even before the usb2 fix came available.

Only use case where I have noticed the usb link not be optimal is table tennis 11. Cable adds enough latency that I prefer to play quest version of table tennis 11 versus the steam version. I didn't notice any lag or other issues while playing half life alyx.

The video goes over usb ?
edit : type c

Yes, it’s basically a compressed video stream from what I understand, like many remote play solutions. Which makes it a bit less nice looking and laggier than using a native HDMI type solution.

I don't really have anything to complain about picture quality when using pc link with quest. Latency can be issue for some games or it could be steam versions of games lack quest controller specific optimizations. This said quest2 has a lot better soc. One has to wonder how much better the stream going over link can be on quest2 thanks to better video decoders? I guess the spec of the soc is available and it would be possible to do spec to spec comparison though at least for me quest was already good enough. I'm probably not sensitive to compression artifacts as I have never noticed anything being off in picture quality.

Configuring higher end settings and resolution for link did have visible quality effect though. Maybe some day oculus software would use optimal setting without user having to tweak things: https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-resolution-increase-odt/

It does also make a difference if you use a 10Gbit USB C cable or old USB 2.0 from what I gather online. It supports both now. But Virtual Desktop being wireless probably wins out still.

Certainly for me, I have no space near my desktop so would only use it for sitting stuff probably

Back