Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

DMC5 RT on / off:

l9AaY6y.png

RTX looks kinda weird on this DMC scene

nah bro that thing is ugly as sin.
Nah it’s not bad at all. I’m sure somewhere in this timeline we will find a building somewhere that looks exactly like this. Whether inspired from PS5 or the other way around. I could totally see a two tone condo like this

The pc doesnt get any of this DMC remaster (with ray tracing etc)?
Not atm. Not the first time the PC has missed out on DMC additions, Capcom can be hit or miss sometimes with their PC support. Would have been nice to compare at the very least from a technical perspective with respect to quality/performance of the consoles and RTX cards in the same game.

Is that a scratch already near the USB port? Glossy plastics near contact points are a bad idea in my book. I will admit that the real life PS5 looks much better than the renders, but I still don't like it..
RTX looks kinda weird on this DMC scene
It's like they added reflections and removed ambient shading. I haven't followed this remaster/update enough to know how they are using RT but if they are using it for GI, in my experience, it's hard to judge it's image quality improvements in just one scene, though. The thing with the traditional hacks and tricks we've become accustom to is that many of them exist to exaggerate their effect, and can look really nice in many scenes, but throughout a game every set piece can look kind of "samey". If you look at Metro's ray traced GI, there are some scenes that look less refined when it's on, but that's because they are lit more accurately and look less punchy because of it, but then you walk into another scene and it's lit totally different and that contrast between the way scene's are lit really show what GI is all about. Maybe this DMC screenshot is supposed to be lit that way, but who knows.

Is that a scratch already near the USB port? Glossy plastics near contact points are a bad idea in my book. I will admit that the real life PS5 looks much better than the renders, but I still don't like it..

It's like they added reflections and removed ambient shading. I haven't followed this remaster/update enough to know how they are using RT but if they are using it for GI, in my experience, it's hard to judge it's image quality improvements in just one scene, though. The thing with the traditional hacks and tricks we've become accustom to is that many of them exist to exaggerate their effect, and can look really nice in many scenes, but throughout a game every set piece can look kind of "samey". If you look at Metro's ray traced GI, there are some scenes that look less refined when it's on, but that's because they are lit more accurately and look less punchy because of it, but then you walk into another scene and it's lit totally different and that contrast between the way scene's are lit really show what GI is all about. Maybe this DMC screenshot is supposed to be lit that way, but who knows.
I'm kinda hoping that there is a protective film on that part of the console, which was never removed from the test units?

In those leaked photos it seems the white cover plates can come out fairly easy without the need to unscrew anything. The console might be more block-shaped than it seems, with the curves coming mostly from the white covers.
I think the M.2 slot is beneath one of those covers. That way, the SSD can be inserted like we'd do on a motherboard, and not by sliding it in, and that might provide some space for a SSD heatsink.

z6VVpH2.jpg

This also points to the PS5 having exchangeable cover plates, so people who want a color other than white can just change the plate.

no thanks , i'm out of the console game my friend. Just going to upgrade my pc from now on until consoles give me a reason to buy one again
So with Horizon Forbidden West and God of War we're looking at 2021.

In those leaked photos it seems the white cover plates can come out fairly easy without the need to unscrew anything. The console might be more block-shaped than it seems, with the curves coming mostly from the white covers.
I think the M.2 slot is beneath one of those covers. That way, the SSD can be inserted like we'd do on a motherboard, and not by sliding it in, and that might provide some space for a SSD heatsink.

z6VVpH2.jpg

This also points to the PS5 having exchangeable cover plates, so people who want a color other than white can just change the plate.

So with Horizon Forbidden West and God of War we're looking at 2021.
Cover plates look like they would be amazingly easy for DIY stencil art and such.
Perhaps we will see people sharing stencils online. (Or carve like pumpkin and install leds inside..)

Last edited:
Yep it was an interesting decision, they could have shaved a cm or two just from those ‘wings’ and it would have appeased some of the fake outrage peeps.

They wanted it to look big, bigger then it actually has to be. No idea what those 'extended wings' have for function other then looks.

Yep it was an interesting decision, they could have shaved a cm or two just from those ‘wings’ and it would have appeased some of the fake outrage peeps.
Just looking at the fan there, looks like the plastic is keeping a minimal amount of space for air to breath in there. Not really sure if that fan is intake or exhaust however.

Back