Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

my fan on my CPU (3900x) stock wraith fan is much louder than this already. I can hear it outside my case even when competing with all my case fans.

Have you tried changing your fan profiles? I've customised mine and my Wraith is basically silent while gaming while still keeping temps down.

Have you tried changing your fan profiles? I've customised mine and my Wraith is basically silent while gaming while still keeping temps down.
Ooh. I have tried but still getting that weird rev up and down thing. Is there a website that you followed that has a better setup ?

I find the type of noise to be pretty important, not just the volume.

For example, I built a PC about ten years ago, and it was pretty quiet. But the sound that wound me up the most was one of the quietest. A kind of high frequency whine from .. something ... on the mobo. Could't trace it an individual component (e.g. capacitor). My ears would lock in on that sound and hear it above everything else.

I think PS5 will have very acceptable acoustics.

Ooh. I have tried but still getting that weird rev up and down thing. Is there a website that you followed that has a better setup ?

Some mobos have a weird idea of how a fan should spin up and how a fan speed curve should be calculated and some experimentation has paid off for me in the past. I'll assume you're on the latest BIOS, but have you tried scraping off the TIM that came with the heatsink and using a thin (but complete!) covering of a reasonably decent thermal paste?

I've got better results out of even the shit coolers that Intel provide by doing that!

Some mobos have a weird idea of how a fan should spin up and how a fan speed curve should be calculated and some experimentation has paid off for me in the past. I'll assume you're on the latest BIOS, but have you tried scraping off the TIM that came with the heatsink and using a thin (but complete!) covering of a reasonably decent thermal paste?

I've got better results out of even the shit coolers that Intel provide by doing that!
Nah I should have. I can go back and put my Arctic silver

I just played around with it until I hit on something I liked. I'm certainly no expert but I used the MSI supplied "Dragon Centre" software that came with my mobo to adjust the profile. There are 4 points you can move which the system creates a curve from and for my CPU fan I have them setup like this:

22% up to 49 degrees
41% up to 60 degrees (it usually sits here)
61% up to 71 degrees
100% at 80 degrees (just in case but it never gets there)

For "quick resume" it seems there is a certain number of games before saved states start to be lost.
It might be helpful to provide a mechanism for a user to know which game states are currently in memory.
We then carried out our tests on a selection of power-hungry titles, and the selection was reduced to 5 to 6 games before losing chronologically the stasis states of the different works. Powerful and practical, this feature, on the other hand, reflects the need for interface to have a legibility on the different application in the console's memory. It is impossible, for now (on the hardware and software Preview provided by Xbox), to know clearly which games are "preserved" in memory, and to select for ourselves which game the console must "forget" in favor of the new titles to be launched.
https://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/1297...os-impressions-en-video-apres-24h-de-test.htm

For "quick resume" it seems there is a certain number of games before saved states start to be lost.
It might be helpful to provide a mechanism for a user to know which game states are currently in memory.

https://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/1297...os-impressions-en-video-apres-24h-de-test.htm
Theres a limited amount of space set aside.
Would be nice when you reach it, it asks which to evict.
But even then it's not as simple as that, as they don't take up the same amount of space so you would need to evict enough to create the required space.

Info dumps will likely happen every Monday until launch day.
There's still alot that can be covered.
  • Patched games (probably spread over multiple weeks)
  • XSS
  • AutoHDR
  • VRR
  • If they have app to demo low latency
  • SFS demo
  • Next gen excluisives (non cross gen)
  • Cross gen
  • Game sizes (extended smart delivery)
  • Audio engine
Some things are for publications more like DF, but would be nice for them to report on it.
They should update that ladybird demo app or something.

I wished they would allow you to pin games/tiles that are in your recently played list that are on the home page. This way they are always there & ready to resume. This could override others that are not pinned. I never liked how they made pins their own group.

Tommy McClain

I would like to see the mobile app updated to give storage management.

On way home, go into app, copy game from external storage to nvme.
Get home, all ready to go.

Could even set game as next to play, as soon as switch console on, it's loaded and paused.

The QR is always stored on internal nvme, be nice when delete the game, if the game is on external storage it copies save state to it.
When copy it back it tries to copy the save state also.
Few interesting things can do around storage to make it even nicer.

blog post monday? Nadda burger
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10/05/a-record-year-for-xbox-game-studios/

this is the only thing of value here:
We’ll be sharing even more details on every game being fully optimized this holiday for the launch of Xbox Series X|S later this month, as well as showing more gameplay from these titles, so stay tuned for more.

Between our growing Xbox Game Studios teams, the massive influx of high-quality content from our new partners at Bethesda, and many more unannounced games in development, the future has never been brighter for Xbox gamers!

I would like to see the mobile app updated to give storage management.

The new beta app does allow this. I'm looking at my XB1X right now & it shows a total of 4TB of space, but that's just my external USB drive. So I guess it's showing your primary storage device.

Tommy McClain

Reactions: Jay
Back