Next-Generation NVMe SSD and I/O Technology [PC, PS5, XBSX|S]

Respawn time in GodFall...
GIF.gif

Ahh. Something actually applicable, practical and useful information for us. :D

All these random youtubers with various restrictions/embargos and random experiments is starting to piss me off....at this point i just want a damn controlled environment experiment from DF comparing the two consoles.

Just give me the COD: Cold War comparison of resolution, FPS and load times!

All these random youtubers with various restrictions/embargos and random experiments is starting to piss me off....at this point i just want a damn controlled environment experiment from DF comparing the two consoles. Just give me the COD: Cold War comparison of resolution, FPS and load times!
I reckon you'll have to wait until after both consoles are out. Until people are not bound by signing contracts to have access to hardware and software, it's embargo/NDA-roads all the way.

I reckon you'll have to wait until after both consoles are out. Until people are not bound by signing contracts to have access to hardware and software, it's embargo/NDA-roads all the way.
luckily we are only 4 a touch 5 weeks away from launch here.
Given the amount of information we have overall is still limited, we can expect the drip feed to become somewhat of a stream the next 40ish days. I'm hearing to expect new xbox stuff (with those who have been given retail units) each week a new embargo opens. I suspect PS5 will follow a similar format in terms of information release.

GB touches on how toasty his prototype unit gets lol. quiet, but toasty lol

GB touches on how toasty his prototype unit gets lol. quiet, but toasty lol
Yeah, saw that earlier. Discussion on his Series X thermals starts around 28 minutes in if anybody wants to zone in on it. Note.. prototype. :yep2:

lol i'm fairly positive it's pretty close to retail though. I can't imagine a huge difference, but I could be wrong.
Could be. You would expect Sony and Microsoft to be distributing hardware that is as close to retail (i.e. optimal) to create the best impression, but why would Series X be warm ('toasty") when essentially idle? Maybe it had just been undertaking a background download and that is why the NVMe drive was also warm.

Right that's why if you are genuinely up in the air to which console you might buy.... pre-ordering or buying on launch day is not realistic...
Agreed; Gotta wait for full reviews. I was told the gameplan is to pre-order first and then cancel if you don’t want it.

I will likely just sell it to someone at after tax cost if I choose that path; there is a buyer for this for sure.

I suspect before release DF will have the retail units and they are just bound by embargo as the others have been.

Last edited:
So whats the over under on MS/Seagate or third party making an dock that plugs into the ssd drive but gives an option for multiple ssd expansion cards or just strait out nvmes

Maybe... I don't trust controlled demos. On a system with 16 GB of RAM the entire initial level state could be completely memory resident and not have to be reloaded from any external source.
yeah, it is not like we didn't see instant respawn in the past. Works quite well if the game is build for something like that.
A limited "arena", you can't see things in the distant (because of the level architecture) and where it would be possible .... fog.

I really don't know why people now a stressing that instant respawn thing? This was never unusual only some games load a complete other world state while others don't reset anything (expect for the characters life).
Loading screens from a closed game to start menu and from there loading a previous saved game, those times are interesting. Everything there in around 10s is more than acceptable. Just don't want to wait minutes until a savegame is loaded any longer.

And what most people forget, there is more than just loading the data. Worlds must be build by the CPU, NPCs (and their actions) placed, objects set, ...
Load times in games with procedurally generated content, won't load that much faster, only because of bigger CPU (and here and there a bit because of the better IO). People are just expecting to much from the IO.
It is good that the IO is no longer THE bottleneck but somehow people seem to think that a game is like a video file, that must just get decoded and displayed on the screen.

yeah, it is not like we didn't see instant respawn in the past. Works quite well if the game is build for something like that.
A limited "arena", you can't see things in the distant (because of the level architecture) and where it would be possible .... fog.

I really don't know why people now a stressing that instant respawn thing? This was never unusual only some games load a complete other world state while others don't reset anything (expect for the characters life).
Loading screens from a closed game to start menu and from there loading a previous saved game, those times are interesting. Everything there in around 10s is more than acceptable. Just don't want to wait minutes until a savegame is loaded any longer.

And what most people forget, there is more than just loading the data. Worlds must be build by the CPU, NPCs (and their actions) placed, objects set, ...
Load times in games with procedurally generated content, won't load that much faster, only because of bigger CPU (and here and there a bit because of the better IO). People are just expecting to much from the IO.
It is good that the IO is no longer THE bottleneck but somehow people seem to think that a game is like a video file, that must just get decoded and displayed on the screen.
instant respawn is a pretty big deal. But for people looking for a SSD benchmark, instant respawn is just less ideal of a show case than fast travel. If that is what is being asked.

All these random youtubers with various restrictions/embargos and random experiments is starting to piss me off....at this point i just want a damn controlled environment experiment from DF comparing the two consoles.

Just give me the COD: Cold War comparison of resolution, FPS and load times!
This comparison is probably going to be legendary.

instant respawn is a pretty big deal.
Trouble is you don't know how fast /slow it would've been without SSD as there's no baseline.
So the instant respawn may actually not be anything special for that game.

In isolation, yep sure it's good to have.

I'd be pretty surprised if PS5 doesn't win the cold boot game load and fast travel load tests; that should be tapping right into it's natural potential.

Last edited:
I'd be pretty surprised if PS5 doesn't win the cold boot and load tests; that should be tapping right into it's natural potential.
Cold boot, i expect there to be a clear difference in favour of PS5.
Unless MS has made big improvements to order and how it loads things.
Also PS dashboard etc has been more lightweight (I'm assuming this will still be the case)

BC games there may not be big difference as easy to be bottlenecked by decompressing on cpu etc.

Patched/next gen games, could see PS5 pull ahead with clear advantage, especially as SFS probably wouldn't be implemented yet.

None of this may be big enough for people to be concerned about though.

None of this may be big enough for people to be concerned about though.

Dunno, depends. If you get used to virtually no loading at all, anything thats going to take longer will want you back..... Its like new phones, people get used to very fast interfaces, while the older models are perhaps a couple of seconds slower, but you notice it then.

Edit: Or another comparison, going from HDD to SSD back in 2009, opening file explorer might be half a sec faster, doesnt sound like much, but in day to day useage thats a huge thing.

If PS5 has that advantage in booting games, UI speed (swapping between menus, lists etc), and just that fraction of two seconds faster in loading actual games etc, could be a bigger advantage then it seems in metrics (seconds).

Back