Oculus to exit PC only headset market in 2021

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
https://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-discontinue-rift-product-line-2021/

“We’re going to focus on standalone VR headsets moving forward. We’ll no longer pursue PC-only hardware, with sales of Rift S ending in 2021. That said, the Rift Platform isn’t going anywhere,” the company announced. “In fact, we’ve seen significant growth in PC VR via Oculus Link, and the Rift Platform will continue to grow while offering high-end PC VR experiences like Lone Echo II and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond well into the future.”

This is the direction they were rumored to be going for awhile and I have to say they are the only manufacturer that I didn't get to try a new pc headset from this year. So i figured it was either something really big coming or they were giving up.

It will be interesting because competitors keep getting better. The reverb 2 is really nice and of courses the best tracking is with valve and once your in that ecco system the headset itself only sets you back $500.

I've seen some really good headsets that will be out over the next 18 months or so that are pc only.

Facebook stuff aside, it's sad that they're ditching PC only HMDs. A PC version of the Quest 2 without the mobile bits would be a better value & quality headset than the current WMR offerings. I suppose a $299+$50 strap + ?? USB C cable is still a reasonable price point. Just a shame to have a battery hanging off your face.

Last edited:
So what does this mean for the Oculus Store ecossystem for PC titles, both current ones and others that are currently in development?

Couldn't this mean they're just going to put a SoC into every HMD from now on, but their investment in the PC ecossystem will be maintained?

How is the feedback on Oculus Link? Could that be the future of PC Oculus?

From what I can tell the only change is that they are ditching PC only headsets. They aren't ditching the PC. They noted that there are a significant number of people using Quest on PC via Oculus Link.

It wouldn't surprise me at this point if there were more people using Oculus on PC with Quest through Oculus Link than all other Oculus headsets combined.

It's just a shame that they're attempting to force everyone to use a Facebook account.

Regards,
SB

From what I can tell the only change is that they are ditching PC only headsets. They aren't ditching the PC. They noted that there are a significant number of people using Quest on PC via Oculus Link.

It wouldn't surprise me at this point if there were more people using Oculus on PC with Quest through Oculus Link than all other Oculus headsets combined.

It's just a shame that they're attempting to force everyone to use a Facebook account.

Regards,
SB

The issue is compression through the link and of course paying for hardware you don't need.

They should just put out a Q2 without the battery and soc but have a dedicated hdmi connector for a pc. I don't think they are going to stop with the pc side yet but i have a feeling your going to start getting pushed to the mobile store while they continue phasing out the pc stuff.

I knew something was up when they were the only headset maker that didn't send us a new dedicated pc headset. I knew they either finally got eye tracking working on a high enough amount of people or like many speculated after the hack job of the rift s , they would exit the market.

Back