Evidently, Crysis is coming back [2020]

Why did they use the console version of the game.
I have been wondering if the reason could simply be lazyness.

Perhaps Saber Interactive and Crytek saw that remastering the original PC version would have been far too much work (=rewriting code) and just couldn't be arsed to do it.

I am guessing the console version was more heavily optimized and already multithreaded perhaps?

I am guessing the console version was more heavily optimized and already multithreaded perhaps?

What buggers me the most is lack of physics interaction with foliage and trees in this remaster. That was one of the most impressive aspects of original lumber jack simulator also known as Crysis ... The amount of fun I had cutting all the trees and chopping them bit by bit, seeing how grenades generated shockwaves through bushes made me feel very powerful. Since first mission, after cutting all trees from the map and demolishing all huts bare handed, I knew that dealing with alien threat will be a walk in the park.

I don't like this remaster and will only buy it on sale to look at RT effects, but will not enjoy playing it as I did back in 2007.

:)

Huge update, 10 GB for my Xbox One,
General Updates

· Improved the look of Admiral Morrison (Reckoning) to be more in line with the original.

· Improved visuals for the Generic NPCs on Reckoning - Fleet.

· Improved visuals for the hostages on Recovery - village.

· Added simplified and Traditional Chinese languages.

Performance:

· FPS is now locked to 30FPs while in performance mode.

· Improved frame pacing.

· Improved Ray Tracing mode in order to fix small stutter issues.

Bug Fixes

· Fixed a bug that resulted in a visible and constant flickering with distant mountain trees.

· Fixed an issue where several tree shadows would appear to be blinking on the beach.

· Fixed an issue that caused noticeable changes to the shadows cast by the trees.

· Fixed a bug that resulted in the screen being distorted after changing the video settings.

· Fixed a bug that caused an unnecessary fire reflection to appear on the water on Reckoning.

· Fixed an issue that prevent HDR from being activated.

· Fixed an issue that resulted in the shortcuts for cloak and armor to not function correctly.

· Fixed a bug that resulted in the Seph Scout AI not shooting the player.

· Fixed several reflections that were too bright.

· Fixed some artifacts that would appear on screen when entering certain rooms on Reckoning.

· Fixed an issue that resulted in experiencing a low draw distance.

· Fixed a bug that resulted in not being able to activate nano suit mode due to the options not saving.

· Fixed the missing tank track physics.

· Fixed the intensity of the moon light lines.

· Fixed Admiral Morrison's dying animation to be more in line with the original.

· Fixed an excessive glow effect that came from the Ceph Hunter.

· Fixed a bug that caused a white graphical artifact to appear in the sky on Exodus - Sphere.

· Corrected the flashlight cone and circle in gameplay to be in line with what is shown in the Aztec cutscene.

· Fixed an issue that could cause the title screen to freeze when loading into a level.

· Fixed several red artifacts that would appear during gameplay.

· Fixed the flickering glow effect that is given off by the fire on Assault - Harbor.

· Fixed the skins of the Korean soldiers as to not appear transparent.

· Fixed a bug that allowed light to pass through the wall inside the carrier on Reckoning - Fleet.

· Fixed several assets for the small broken plastic bottles on Awakening.

· Fixed some unexpected lighting changes that occurred due to the position of the camera on Awakening - Mine.

· Fixed a round shadow artifact that would appear on Reckoning - Fleet.

· Fixed the flickering violet light near the VTOL engine on Exodus - Sphere.

· Fixed the noticeable border on the rock texture on Core - Core.

· Fixed an issue that caused boxes to go through the table geometry on Reckoning - Fleet.

· Fixed an issue that caused a significant framerate drop on Recovery - Village.

· Fixed the big bottle assets.

· Fixed multiple LOD pop-up issues.

Crysis Remastered Update 1.3 Improves Performance For High-End PC, DLSS 2.0 Support Still Missing
November 26, 2020
released a major update yesterday. This update is only available for PC and it improves the game’s performance. Several optimizations boosted stability. High-spec machines will receive a better framerate. Ray Tracing performance hit on ‘very high’ setting now lowered. While AMD-based systems will get extra FPS.

The water now looks more natural for RTX-based GPUs. Developers also fixed the lighting problem when the shadow setting is set at 'very high' or ‘Can It Run Crysis.' Optimal settings are now more accurate for your PC hardware.

UPDATE 1.3 PATCH NOTES
Performance:

• General performance improvements for high spec systems.
  • Improvements made to the performance of AMD based systems where ray tracing is set to Very High.
  • Improvements made to the Optimal settings option in graphics settings. The selections should now be more in line with your PC's capabilities.
  • Fixed some lighting that was missing in-game when the shadow quality setting was set to "Very high" or "Can it run Crysis."
  • Improvements made to raytracing when set to "very high."
  • Improvements made to look of the water in different instances for RTX GPUs (glare looks more natural, removed glowing artifacts/grain effect).
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in a decrease of ~10fps when using Borderless over windowed or fullscreen.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the framerate to drop when crawling through the body of a dead enemy.
  • Fixed a memory leak that could occur at the beginning of Recovery - Village.
  • Fixed an issue where launching the game with HDR enabled could cause artifacts to appear during cutscenes.
Crysis Remastered Update 1.3 Improves Performance For High-End PC, DLSS 2.0 Support Still Missing | Player.One

Curious

Adding back Ascension on PC.

General
· The level 'Ascension' has been added.

· Added an option to enable aim assist - only when using a controller.

Performance
· Improvements made to the shadow quality and lighting on 'Very High' and 'Can it run Crysis settings'.

· Some small CPU optimizations.

· Improvements made to RayTracing.

And then a swath of bug fixes on top of these.

Vlad from Crytek posted a congifuration file for boosting reflections.

Vlad said:
If you need more ray tracing in Crysis Remastered (PC), here is a custom mod community configuration file to boost the ray tracing reflections in the game. This configuration file may not help improve the appearance of the game, but it will certainly increase the load on your RTX :)

Copy boost.cfg to the root folder of the game, then execute "exec boost" after loading the level. See comments in the file. Works with December 2020 version of the game.

HDR fix: Hey everyone. We've just released a hotfix for the Xbox HDR detection issues : Crysis (reddit.com)

Almost 10 GB...

Vlad from Crytek posted a congifuration file for boosting reflections.

Crysis Remastered - PC Update 2.1.2 : Crysis (reddit.com)

General
Experimental RayTracing Boost mode has been added.

• RT reflections have been enabled on nearly all surfaces in game.

• Ray randomization has enabled for proper support of rough surfaces.

• About 5% of specular reflectance has been added by default to all surfaces.
Developer Note:

During the development of Crysis Remastered, the team came up with the concept of adding a boost to RayTracing. This boost mode is more of a fun/experimental feature that we wanted to bring to all the RayTracing enthusiasts out there, to give more effects with minimal impact on performance. This option has been added to the in-game Graphic settings menu and can only be activated when Global Raytracing option is enabled.

A little interested in the trilogy but the confusing disaster of Crysis Remastered left a bad taste.

I got excited when I read Trilogy was on gamepass, then I found out it's only on PC Gamepass. Didn't even know that was a thing.

The pricing is terrible. Crytek's propaganda notes asked outlets to highlight that if you already own Crysis remastered you can buy the other two separately. Yeah but it's a horrible deal. What a joke.

On Xbox store they have the MSRP of the individual games as 29.99. That mean to buy 2 and 3 individually would cost $60. When the Trilogy is $50. Makes sense...

Granted, the MSRP may or may not be a real price I dont know, they're on "sale" right away for 20.99. That still works out to $42 for both, or a savings of a whopping $8 over the trilogy.

The minimum for fairness would be pricing each game at 1/3 of $50, or ~$17. So the other two games would add up to $34 if you already own remastered like me.

Still too high. I'm not a wait for sale guy but this may be the time I am.

Also Crytek is so bad, you cant even find their games on the stores half the time. They really do less than zero hype or advertising. The day trilogy came out I searched it on Xbox store and found nothing. Maybe it came up later in the day I dont know. It's there now anyway.

Honestly Crysis is like Streetfighter 2, I buy it repackaged over and over over the years and tend never to learn my lesson that I probably actually wont play it so it was a waste of $ :LOL:

At least with SF2 though back in the day I put in large playtime, it will probably remain my 2nd most played lifetime game too Destiny.. I recall like, one extremely buggy run through Crysis. I think it bugged out so I wasnt able to finish cant remember. Crysis 1 has been the subject of a lot of revisionist history. I remember back in it's heyday it was trolled a lot. Now we're supposed to believe it was a revered classic? Sure some ELEMENTS of it were quite envelope pushing. But at the end of the day the suit powers angle implementation just doesnt hit that great for me. And bugs, good grief bugs.

Also did everyone know the rumor is why Warhead never shows up in these remasters is Crytek accidentally deleted the source code? Probably common knowledge but that's kind of funny or sad, I just read it the other day.

Last edited:
With the release of the remasters I've played trough Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 again.

First Crysis 2.

Even ten years after its release Crysis 2 is still great. In today's gaming landscape a similar game would perhaps stand out even more than it did back then.

Much of the sections are like a playground, providing interesting weapons and options. The player decides how to proceed tactically. To begin with, a creative player doesn't know what to start with the spectacular choice of weapons. Almost all weapons are first-class in terms of control, sound, animations and hit effects. In addition, they pave the way for different play styles. I most often use the heavy machine gun from vehicles or and walk loudly towards the enemies with it. Shotgun in quick close combat with glide or SCAR AB at short and medium range also give a lot of pleasure.

The enemy AI is better in Crysis 3 and in the second part the AI sometimes has bugs, overall it still remains fun and is challenging. From my experience I can also say that each playthrough can be different. The replay value is high. Similar to an MGS 3 or MGS V Ground Zeroes.

When it comes to the difficulty level in Crysis 2, I usually chose the second or third one so that I can afford to make more mistakes and play more aggressively than in higher difficulty levels. It's still not undemanding, even if a good player will rarely die. It has to be said that I know every section well so I always had the right weapons at hand. Heavy machine guns can be taken to the next section of a mission.

With my PC and enthusiast sound system Crysis games were always great. The music and sound are tremendous and are the hallmark of Crysis 2 and 3 in particular. Rarely such a level in a video game is achieved. Graphically I think that the Crysis 2 remaster has some really good points. Especially the harmonious SVOGI lighting and the clean picture. Overall, it is a smooth gaming experience. The most disturbing thing is the particle effects which do not blend harmoniously into the environment in terms of lighting. This game also has significantly more repetitive assets compared to The Division. In contrast, Crysis 3 has a far more complex and less videogame-like level design and facial animations that are better than almost all of today's games. This is predominantly surpassed by some Sony games.

In Crysis 2 I had a slightly depressed mood during the last two missions as this adventure was again nearing its end. Unfortunately, there are few current first-person shooters that appeal to me. Apart from that only a minority will reach this class. A Far Cry can in no way compete with Crysis games. Qualitatively, the whole Crysis 2 campaign can hold a high level. The nine hours are spectacular, brute, very intense and need full concentration. It's not something to be played on the side and should be played through coherently in a few days.

I could say much more bout Crysis 2. In my opinion, the text form is unsuitable for describing such experiences unless an eternity is to be spent on it. There would be no end to it.

Now to Crysis 3.

Crysis 1 is often called the best Crysis but it suggests more freedom to players than it has. The areas are more restricted than the areas in Crysis 3 which brings more varied and intense gameplay mechanics. Crysis 3, where there is more to explore than in Crysis 1, mixes tighter areas with more expansive and vertical gameplay. It is clearly superior to Crysis 1 in terms of game design and architecture and in terms of craftsmanship.
Weapons and the resulting gameplay mechanics are more extensive in Crysis 3. Sneaking and fighting can be combined better than in Crysis 1 due to the aforementioned varied game mechanics and weapon selection, superior environment design and more exciting enemy AI. Crysis 3 offers more depth than Crysis 1. Crysis 1 was outstanding in 2007 but with Crysis 2 and especially Crysis 3 there was a spectacular development in the first-person shooter genre. In my opinion Crysis 1 is better with cheats such as more energy, ammo, weapons etc than when played without these tools. Some basic ideas make more sense in Crysis 1 than in the sequel. The much faster race is an advantage.

Allegedly the consoles had limited Crysis 2 and 3 too much in terms of gameplay. From my point of view this is not true. After all no improvement in the first-person shooter genre could be discovered in the video game world after Crysis 3. Crysis 2 has not aged even ten years after its release. Gameplay-wise Crysis 3 offers by far the best moments of the series. Unfortunately, however, unlike Crysis 2, the quality is not constant. Some sections are worse than others amd the graphic quality also varies more than in the Crysis 2 remaster.
Technically Crysis 3 is very similar to the original PC version. However, there are visual and performance improvements. Unfortunately they didn't go any further. Hopefully there will be more to come. I would like to have better metal shaders and a very clean image like in Crysis 2. While the price of the Crysis 3 remaster could be lowered, Crysis 2 is worth every penny!

For a potential Crysis 4 I would go in the direction of Crysis 3 but more grandiose and more massive. The cost would be high and whether Crytek can get the resources to do it is questionable. Crysis 2 is best in the areas of staging, atmosphere, plot and music. This should also be looked at closely in a Crysis 4. In Crysis 3, I find the mood strangely depressive and oppressive, probably due to the tone and environments. This also has its charm.

Last edited:
I've just purchased Crysis 3 Remastered on my switch and I have been very impressed. This blows away the console version IMO. The game-play is much smoother (locked 30fps), special effects are ramped up and the game just looks better overall. I'm playing the game undocked and I kinda chuckle a bit...its just amazing that we're able to play a game with this kind of graphical fidelity on a gaming handheld (I have the Switch Lite version). Huge props to Crytek to finally getting it right...at least on the switch.

For a potential Crysis 4 I would go in the direction of Crysis 3 but more grandiose and more massive. The cost would be high and whether Crytek can get the resources to do it is questionable. Crysis 2 is best in the areas of staging, atmosphere, plot and music. This should also be looked at closely in a Crysis 4. In Crysis 3, I find the mood strangely depressive and oppressive, probably due to the tone and environments. This also has its charm.

Yes yesssss, come to me Crysis 4...ok not likely to happen, so sadly the world has moved on it seems. Open your deep pockets MS... (100% they wont). I find it sad Crytek, ID and Epic all no longer really exist in the same way (IE making Rage, Crysis, and Gears games).

I've just purchased Crysis 3 Remastered on my switch and I have been very impressed. This blows away the console version IMO. The game-play is much smoother (locked 30fps), special effects are ramped up and the game just looks better overall. I'm playing the game undocked and I kinda chuckle a bit...its just amazing that we're able to play a game with this kind of graphical fidelity on a gaming handheld (I have the Switch Lite version). Huge props to Crytek to finally getting it right...at least on the switch.

Yes said it many times but probably the main reason I consider buying a Switch/lite is seeing Crysis running on a handheld :LOL: But I dont think I would actually play it very much.

Back