Genshin Impact [PS4, PC, Android, iOS]

Just started playing this. It's surprisingly enjoyable, a cross between Zelda BOTW and Ni No Kuni. But with a slightly more annoying sidekick :D The frame rate is a bit janky though which is shame. But for a free to play (and there's loads of goodies to claim), it's really very well done.

I'm playing this on pc. It is a really different game compared to zelda botw despite it copied
  1. Art design
  2. Various gameplay mechanics
  3. Cutscene
How genshin differ from zelda botw?

1. The world is wide open but it keeps holding player's hand ALL THE TIME. Including quest markers and annoying repetitive dialogues
  2. It failed miserably in properly copying zelda botw. Remember the first time coming out off a cave and the game smoothly transition from gameplay to cutscene showing the hyrule castle and the vast world in botw? Almost exactly the same scene was in genshin but the cutscene transition was jarring, and the scene direction was abysmal. No proper visual cues. This happen for various aspects, not just for cutscene
  3. The lack of proper visual cues also happen ALL THE TIME in the game. NPCs and locations looks to be simply plopped into the world. Not carefully designed. So how do you know you need to go to that NPC or to some places? How do Yue know it's the right place? By following the quest marker
  4. The emergency food you fished at the beginning of the game can't stop talking. It also have really weird story. It was an alien, just like you, but it knows EVERYTHING about the world. It even knows the habitat of monsters, monsters behaviors, etc.
  5. Tons of obvious video game mechanics. No in game explanation why these things (daily login reward, etc) are happening. No explanation at all. Nothing.
  6. The story keeps throwing new things at you, so one story thread happening, then it was not explored, then new story thread.

The biggest difference between this and Zelda is ~$50 :D I bought Zelda to play on my lite. But I just didn't enjoy it all, in fact I stopped playing after a couple of days. I just got bored. After all the rave reviews I was expecting something that brought a raft of new and fresh ideas to the table but there was nothing in Zelda that hadn't been done before. I can only guess the wide eyed adulteration from the Nintendo community was because this was new to them.

This game is annoying in the hand holding and constant interruptions. The lack of instructions is also a bind but then I played Warframe when it launched and that was even more impenetrable. And I'm still playing that 7 years later (I think I'm just short of 5k in game hours). So I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt. It's a free to play and it's only just launched! 3 million sign ups so far though so it might have legs.

The biggest difference between this and Zelda is ~$50 :D I bought Zelda to play on my lite. But I just didn't enjoy it all, in fact I stopped playing after a couple of days. I just got bored. After all the rave reviews I was expecting something that brought a raft of new and fresh ideas to the table but there was nothing in Zelda that hadn't been done before. I can only guess the wide eyed adulteration from the Nintendo community was because this was new to them.

This game is annoying in the hand holding and constant interruptions. The lack of instructions is also a bind but then I played Warframe when it launched and that was even more impenetrable. And I'm still playing that 7 years later (I think I'm just short of 5k in game hours). So I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt. It's a free to play and it's only just launched! 3 million sign ups so far though so it might have legs.

Zbotw was a fresh change from previous zelda with really limited freedom.

On the other hand, people who played classic zelda, will already experienced freedom.

Btw I keeps getting bombarded by instructions. Including for simple stuff like jumping (or gliding? I forgot).

That makes me wonder, if there's an option to disable all handholding and various quest / dailies, it may give better fun.

Like destiny 2 when I ignore all Quests and season pass, and just doing my own thing on PVE and PVP.

Still waiting for gyro aiming to come to pc

I remember reading somebody who got DualSense gyro aiming to work in Metro Exodus on Windows using DS4Windows. The approach looks like it might be adaptable to lots of games though. Have a read here (Reddit).

Back