Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I am surprised someone hasn't come out with an add-on card that does hardware Kraken yet. I suppose there will be a licensing issue though.

Sounds slightly different as Fabian says it's different from what you get in an off-the-shelf SSD.

He said I/O coprocessor exists too in off the shelf SSD but the change is a custom firmware very different of off the shelf SSD. From the patent it seems the controller is customized a bit to be better at reading data.

Context of HBRU link, report on Shawn Layden leaving SIE announced via Tweet:

It is with great emotion that we announce that Worldwide Studios Chairman Shawn Layden will be departing SIE. His visionary leadership will be greatly missed. We wish him success in future endeavors and are deeply grateful for his years of service. Thanks for everything, Shawn!​

No, it is not a licensing issue.
1. CPU power is available, more than enough
2. Compression algorithms in hardware are not the most optimal. They are good for lower-power compression/decompression but they loose efficiency because a small change and fixed function hardware can no longer be used.

Because of the second, we have no decompression hardware for ages, even if it was always possible. The algorithms just change over time and it is not always the optimal compression to use for your data. So on PC it is much more dynamic and compression ratios can be much higher than with fixed function hardware.
That's why on PC we always have a variety of different compression algorithms because not every algorithm is optimal for every case.

And theres where RTX IO etc comes in, using the gpu hardware (be it tensor cores) for decompression.

Context of HBRU link, report on Shawn Layden leaving SIE announced via Tweet:

It is with great emotion that we announce that Worldwide Studios Chairman Shawn Layden will be departing SIE. His visionary leadership will be greatly missed. We wish him success in future endeavors and are deeply grateful for his years of service. Thanks for everything, Shawn!​

Well in terms of a forward looking strategist, the right man was left standing. Ryan is far more focused on Cloud and PSNow than Layden ever was. Hopefully they'll settle things down. But, having just gone through a massive shift with my company as we expanded into the US and Asia (accompanied by a eye watering increase in my workload :D ), I sort of understand how chaotic it must be. The Covid situation really doesn't help either.

He left because of confusion on ps4/ps5 transition... This is what is possible... and now a bit more than possibile.... previous mistake + the change of management in between + covid19 lead what we see now....
How did you get to the conclusion that he left due to PS4/PS5 transition confusion? There is nothing in that article that supports any such notion.
Based on the article, seeems he left because he was not agreeing with the direction/vision the President was going for. Either you get on board or you leave, criticism is okay, input is great. But in the end, everybody has to pull in the same direction, if you cant commit to that goal. Well its time to leave, forced or voluntary does not really matter.

How did you get to the conclusion that he left due to PS4/PS5 transition confusion? There is nothing in that article that supports any such notion.
Based on the article, seeems he left because he was not agreeing with the direction/vision the President was going for. Either you get on board or you leave, criticism is okay, input is great. But in the end, everybody has to pull in the same direction, if you cant commit to that goal. Well its time to leave, forced or voluntary does not really matter.
The article (1 year old) I linked states that.... I said personally i tought it was a possibility and now I think is just a little bit more than a possibility seein what's happening...

States what?
The article does not support your thought in anyway or shape.
It's a business article. Not a technical one. Of course you should be able to read what is not written in between so clearly... Do you find so normal a 30 years old guy in a company left so suddenly at one year distance of an important business transition ? Something happened IMHO and the results of that + covid19 leads to the today's (a little confused) situation. And now I close with this discussion.

And theres where RTX IO etc comes in, using the gpu hardware (be it tensor cores) for decompression.
yes, those can be used because they are more or less "just" small CPU-like cores. But not fixed function hardware-blocks like those in PS5 or xbox series x. They will need more energy (than fixed function hardware) and may be slower (but scales with many small cores) but can also do other stuff. But those workloads should work better on those small cores than on the "real" CPU. But there is still the PCIe interface in the way, so it should be just used for GPU data (textures etc) and not for everything else. Maybe at some point CPUs get also some co-processors like tensor cores for special workloads. They should still be flexible enough to also feed them with other stuff.

It's a business article. Not a technical one. Of course you should be able to read what is not written in between so clearly... Do you find so normal a 30 years old guy in a company left so suddenly at one year distance of an important business transition ? Something happened IMHO and the results of that + covid19 leads to the today's (a little confused) situation. And now I close with this discussion.

The article says that he did not agree with the vision Ryan had , who wanted to do more cloud and being less open ala no cross play etc. Layden believed that less focus on cloud and more on native play and being more open ala crossplay.
Yes, after 30 years and you see the place you put your heart and soul into, is diverging from what you think is right, you leave or fight. If you fight you might destroy everything, if you leave, you leave with some decency.
But nothing of this has anything todo with the transition from PS4 to PS5, the article spelled out the power struggle in regards to the vision/direction. Reading what you belive, between the lines, is just utter utter nonsense.
Only time PS4 to PS5 is mentioned is some 3rd party anonymous guy talking about there being little information coming from Sony to the 3rd party.

Last edited:
My first reaction to that article was again? he came back just to leave again?

lol, "and here is a tweet from 2019 for context".

I can't imagine what these guys think they win with these things.

There is one user, which name I won't mention, who was arguing that BCPack would make Xbox SSD bandwidth surpass PS5s. And when it was proved not true, he then went to argue that too much SSD bandwidth hurts performance. The key is to always be concerned about something.

Worry not, nothing can derail the PS5 hype train !

You would be worried if you knew what these guys know: the ssd might melt, the gpu may run at -1 Ghz and it is based on RDNA 0.13beta, and their wifi gives you cancer.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first reaction to that article was again? he came back just to leave again?

Yeah, I really don't know why HBRU is bringing that back up. I only added context so others don't have to try to figure out WTF others are talking about. Its really bad form to only post links with no context as to what they are.

Back