How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Wonder if it will be running on an Xbox this time?
I'm not going to lie, as much I want to see this, I just don't believe I'm going to see any trailer of this until 2021 or something. I'd be shocked if it (trailer) were released before launch.

XSS is still available to order in Canada. I don't think XSS will ever go out of stock anytime soon anywhere.

They've confirmed UE5 for HB2, so it won't even be running on the final engine even if it is running on XS hardware. Have we heard that any devs actual have a UE5 preview? (they obviously talked about 4.26 being essentially similar bar the small issues of missing Nanite and Lumin)

Post about the Bazil market for next-gen consoles @ https://forum.xboxera.com/t/the-ser...-hours-after-preorders-started-in-brazil/4021

brunopcosta1 said:
Microsoft officially started the Series X|S preorders in Brazil today and, despite its high price, the Series X is already sold out in most of the biggest stores (Submarino, Americanas, Shoptime, Ponto Frio, Casas Bahia, Extra and Kabum).

The Series X is still available on Amazon.

The PlayStation 5 is still available on all those stores despite being available for more than a week.

From Amazon.com.br (Brazil):

31a58fcb0fa75c9a6e382e2cc69fb46b11ce5030_2_611x500.jpeg

Those prices there seem outrageous. I'm surprised any higher end consumer devices even sell there, compared to what the typical incomes are. It's so vastly different from what we're used to.

Thought xbox was cheaper than ps in Brazil due to ms having a manufacturing plant over there? Or am I mixing up with somewhere else?

Thought xbox was cheaper than ps in Brazil due to ms having a manufacturing plant over there? Or am I mixing up with somewhere else?

I do believe you have insane tariffs if you don't produce them locally. I believe Sony left or is planning to leave the country soon.

Took a quick look around. Here is the latest relevant piece I could find. Basically the government recently cut the taxes. (2019)

"Under that draft, the rate levied on consoles and video game machines would drop to 40% from 50%; to 32% from 40% on console parts and accessories without a built-in display,"

https://www.bnamericas.com/en/news/could-tax-cuts-on-video-games-consoles-hurt-brazilian-industry

There also appears to be 2 forms of VAT. One federal and one state. Hard to tell if both apply, but the federal appears to be an import tax and the state a goods transportation tax. Maybe both apply? I can only find rates for the state and they vary between 4, 7, and 12 for the movement of goods. The federal import VAT is on all goods manufactured or imported. On top of the import tax I think. (It seems the federal rate ranges from 0 - 320%.)

https://home.kpmg/xx/en/home/insights/2018/10/brazil-indirect-tax-guide.html

Quick and dirty. Not my area. VLCC of salt.

Last edited:
how are PC parts generally compared to those consoles in Brazil? If they are cheaper, like much cheaper, I would just go that route.

Was gonna ask what net is like over there, so maybe xss could be a big seller.

But then thought considering patches including day 1 sizes I'm not sure if makes much difference, disks aren't even delivery mediums anymore, just a key.

Back