Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

The Xbox does have feedback in the triggers, just rumble motors behind the triggers as well as main pad . It was pretty decent on Forza, gave reasonable feedback but not actual tension.
Thanks, I do have a Xbox One controller! :yes:

Don't know in other countries but in Italy even changing the voice of some TV series protagonist spoils a lot for many persons...
Where is this coming from? How have the views of many people even have a chance to be canvassed? :???:

One thing I did not liked on Spiderman remastered is that they changed the face of the spiderman-boy... Don't know in other countries but in Italy even changing the voice of some TV series protagonist spoils a lot for many persons... Really bad decision IMHO.
Yeah, having Robert Patterson instead of Ben Affleck as Batman is heart breaking! Get over it.

Thanks, I do have a Xbox One controller! :yes:

Where is this coming from? How have the views of many people even have a chance to be canvassed? :???:
In Italy we talk about everything [emoji1]... seriously... this is something that can disturb (or spoil the show) to many persons... not joking ... in the past happened the man that gives the voice in italian to dr House died... the new voice was ok, but that was really bad... games as tv shows are an emotional product...

In Italy we talk about everything [emoji1]... seriously... this is something that can disturb (or spoil the show) to many persons... not joking ... in the past happened the man that gives the voice in italian to dr House died... the new voice was ok, but that was really bad... games as tv shows are an emotional product...
How rude of him to die before Dr House ended! :runaway:

So what did you all get?

PS5 Console
Pulse 3D Headset
Extra Dualsense Controller
Spider-man Miles Morales Ultimate Edition
Demon's Souls Remake

PS5 Console
Pulse 3D Headset
PS5 HD Camera
Extra Dualsense Controller

Not bothered with any games yet, I'll be taking the free upgrade for Cyberpunk to play around with. But I might get Spiderman as well :/

PS5 disc version, I wanted DE, but it was not available to pre-order.
Will get an extra dualsense and also the charging stand. Not decided on the headset yet.
As for games, I will buy Dirt5 and Cyberpunk 2077 and with Ghost of Tsusima Legends I think I am good until the new year rolls around.

https://cbloomrants.blogspot.com/2020/09/how-oodle-kraken-and-oodle-texture.html

Two very good comments by Charles Bloom and Fabian Giesen from RAD tools game.

The two I/O processor are probbly some A5 CPU like in many SSD.

cbloom said:
I don't think there's any public comparison of Kraken and BCPack. If there was one an unofficial one around, beware it might not include the affects of Oodle Texture. Oodle Texture dramatically changes the way textures compress; we believe it should always be used with textures in games.

We're big fans of the Xbox Series X. Their approach is slightly different, but we're glad to see they are taking compression seriously.

Oodle Texture works great for the Xbox as well, and we are working with a lot of game companies that are using it on Xbox, so consumers should see lots of games with those huge size and speed savings on Xbox as well. It's up to the individual game developers, as it's not been licensed platform-wide at this time.

Game developers are also using Oodle Texture and Oodle Kraken for PC games; most multi-platform devs will be using the same Oodle Texture encoding of their textures for all platforms, it's not platform-specific. On the PC you don't have hardware Kraken, so software Kraken is used on the CPU. To keep up with the fastest SSD speeds this requires several cores; luckily high end PC's also have lots of CPU cores!

At RAD we've always just tried to make the best compression possible for games. We plan to continue to work with all platforms in the future.

fabian giesen said:
(I also work at RAD on Oodle.)

The Kraken decoders are not "equivalent to 9 Zen 2 cores", that's quoting wildly out of context; by the same rationale a Deflate decoder that hits 5-6 GB/s output would be "equivalent to 12 Zen 2 cores" which is just as misleading. That ratio is just meaningless. They're dedicated fixed-function hardware that does one specific task (that happens to be suitable for HW implementation), certainly not equivalent substitutes for a general-purpose CPU core. If they were, that'd be missing the point.

Both PS5 and Xbox Series X decided to go for HW decompression because they noticed that with a SSD, decompression goes from a side task for one CPU core to a full-time job for several, at which point it makes sense to design dedicated hardware. Once you decide to go there, you have considerable freedom in how you design decompression units, how they are clocked, how many there are, etc., and you configure all that to meet your targets.

In the PS5 case, the goal was for the decompressors to never be the bottleneck in real workloads, so they're dialed in to be fast enough to keep up with the SSD at all times, with a decent safety margin. That's all there is to it.

Along the same lines, 2 helper processors in an IO block that has both a full Flash controller and the decompression/memory mapping/etc. units is not by itself remarkable. Every SSD controller has one. That's what processes the SATA/NVMe commands, does the wear leveling, bad block remapping and so forth. The special part is not that these processors exist, but rather that they run custom firmware that implements a protocol and feature set quite different from what you would get in an off-the-shelf SSD.

On the PC you don't have hardware Kraken, so software Kraken is used on the CPU. To keep up with the fastest SSD speeds this requires several cores; luckily high end PC's also have lots of CPU cores!

I am surprised someone hasn't come out with an add-on card that does hardware Kraken yet. I suppose there will be a licensing issue though.

The two I/O processor are probbly some A5 CPU like in many SSD.

Sounds slightly different as Fabian says it's different from what you get in an off-the-shelf SSD.

I am surprised someone hasn't come out with an add-on card that does hardware Kraken yet. I suppose there will be a licensing issue though.
No, it is not a licensing issue.
1. CPU power is available, more than enough
2. Compression algorithms in hardware are not the most optimal. They are good for lower-power compression/decompression but they loose efficiency because a small change and fixed function hardware can no longer be used.

Because of the second, we have no decompression hardware for ages, even if it was always possible. The algorithms just change over time and it is not always the optimal compression to use for your data. So on PC it is much more dynamic and compression ratios can be much higher than with fixed function hardware.
That's why on PC we always have a variety of different compression algorithms because not every algorithm is optimal for every case.

edit:
btw, there are some compression/decompression cards available, but only for highly specialized tasks. Those are not general purpose compression accelerators.

Last edited:
Just the PS5 itself so far, not that pushed on any of the accessories, might go for the new camera if it improves PSVR tracking, will probably pick up Spiderman MM on launch and will enjoy the cyberpunk enhancements whenever they eventually drop

The headset does look great, so I may get it, as I have a lingering feeling that Sony will skimp again and not give us Atmos output, infuriatingly so.

Back