Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

It's not showing difference between external usb ssd compared to hdd for xsx.

Or are you talking about the custom cartridge which will perform same as internal?

Hooking up ssd usb drive i would expect closer to the nvme than the hdd.

Will repeat myself, shame doesn't have usb c, and also gen 2 usb.

One thing that I've been noticing on Amazon from people buying USB-C gen 2 (10 Gb/s) is that a lot of these enclosures are generating a lot of heat and the drives are throttling to below 1 GB/s even though the enclosure can't go much more than 1 GB/s. Since my next NVME drive purchase will lead to having to evict one of my older 1.5 GB/s drives, I picked up a gen 2 USB C enclosure to test. I'll be interested to see how it performs and how hot it gets during reads and writes. If I have to, I'll put a fan next to it.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
One thing that I've been noticing on Amazon from people buying USB-C gen 2 (10 Gb/s) is that a lot of these enclosures are generating a lot of heat and the drives are throttling to below 1 GB/s even though they can't exceed 1 GB/s. Since my next NVME drive purchase will lead to having to evict one of my older 1.5 GB/s drives, I picked up a gen 2 USB C enclosure to test. I'll be interested to see how it performs and how hot it gets during reads and writes. If I have to, I'll put a fan next to it.

Regards,
SB
There are 3 chipsets which enclosure could use: ASMedia ASM2362, JMicron JMS583 and Realtek RTL921.
I wonder which is the best. Also I think it's better to buy enclosure with aluminium case.

There are 3 chipsets which enclosure could use: ASMedia ASM2362, JMicron JMS583 and Realtek RTL921.
I wonder which is the best. Also I think it's better to buy enclosure with aluminium case.
You made me open mine, I have a via labs chipset. Looking closer although it's usb C I am not 100% sure it supports usb 3.1 gen2 as claimed based on the chipset documents.
Vl713-q4 which is a USB 3.0 part. Shady Amazon sellers :/

https://www.via-labs.com/product_show.php?id=65

IMG_20201001_100410.jpg

Last edited:
don't forget that the SSD needs contact with the enclosure to spread the heat. else only the air in the enclosure will heat up and slowly get transported through the case. But meanwhile, because of the heat the nvme will throttle down. But I really think it is not the nvme that throttles, it is just the BC game code that won't "need" the data faster because. Only when the game is copied, the nvme might be throttled or the USB controller inside the enclosre or inside of the xbox just can't keep up. But well, it is still fast enough at least for unpatched BC games.

That's why I really want to see how PS5 manages the airflow arround the m.2 port.

One thing that I've been noticing on Amazon from people buying USB-C gen 2 (10 Gb/s) is that a lot of these enclosures are generating a lot of heat and the drives are throttling to below 1 GB/s even though the enclosure can't go much more than 1 GB/s. Since my next NVME drive purchase will lead to having to evict one of my older 1.5 GB/s drives, I picked up a gen 2 USB C enclosure to test. I'll be interested to see how it performs and how hot it gets during reads and writes. If I have to, I'll put a fan next to it.

Regards,
SB

you need active cooling
https://www.amazon.com/ineo-Enclosu...=1601570070&sprefix=usb+c+nvme,aps,141&sr=8-9

The way most cases work there is some air flow going over the motherboard which cools the m.2 drive. But your just getting a tiny enclosure with no airflow with a lot of the usb c enclosers

Rogue Squadron? Pff! X-Wing and Tie Fighter (not to be mixed with X-Wing vs Tie Fighter) is where it's at, and this should be along the same lines as they were.

Yeah you got that right :p Rouge squadron has the excellent-for-the-time graphics left though ;)

You made me open mine, I have a via labs chipset. Looking closer although it's usb C I am not 100% sure it supports usb 3.1 gen2 as claimed based on the chipset documents.
Vl713-q4 which is a USB 3.0 part. Shady Amazon sellers :/

https://www.via-labs.com/product_show.php?id=65

View attachment 4699
That's SATA to USB adaptor. I am talking about NVME to USB.
SATA to USB is ok with both Gen 1 or Gen 2, it won't saturate USB bus. And NVME SSD won't work on this.

That still wouldn't be a game designed around the Series X, surely? That game has been knocking about for a few years. I'd expect Series X to load quicker on a game designed around the system.

Thats still a BC unpatched title. The press restrictions only allow for BC games at this point. He just recently got his Series X or just recently started talking about it.

Thats still a BC unpatched title. The press restrictions only allow for BC games at this point. He just recently got his Series X or just recently started talking about it.
Yea seems to be second batch has gone out with the same restrictions, as Alanah Pearce has got one undersame restrictions.

Yea seems to be second batch has gone out with the same restrictions, as Alanah Pearce has got one undersame restrictions.
Yea. The second batch seems to be compromised of retail units with retail boxes. Not the same as the prototype units of the first batch. I am now seeing this second batch as review units and the first batch as sort of tech breakdown.
45 days to review a console is pretty crazy long. Hope MS has a lot of content for them to review.

I also think new games are being released into whatever environment they are using as and when they pass internal certification. "This Is" YouTube channel which is Austin Evans second channel had a Q and A where he stated more games were becoming available in waves.

I suspect thoes with initial non retail hardware have licenses to anything on the store for testing, we will probably see more tweets as people find heavily IO bound BC titles and test them.

Reactions: Jay
sort of nuts this is all happening post Pre-order LOL W/e they sold out anyway I guess. I suppose this is hype for day 1 sales

"This Is" YouTube channel which is Austin Evans second channel had a Q and A where he stated more games were becoming available in waves.
Yea I saw that, think he said a couple hundred or something. Still only BC games though.

Wonder when xss units will go out.
Best time would probably be after patched games have been made available, as that's when it will shine the most.

Yea I saw that, think he said a couple hundred or something. Still only BC games though.

One of the many reviews, can't recall exactly which one, said the first day they had around 300 and then over the weekend they were well over 500 for them to look at. The review also mentioned if there was any game in particular they were interested in using to let Xbox know and they'll get it on the approved list.

Ars said the list was some 1000 games on 2020-09-28:

No, I didn’t get to all 1,000 games, sorry

The answer I eventually got was, "Sure, we'll call your bluff." Today, I've been given the greenlight to talk about the console's current backward-compatibility testing phase, and Microsoft has had zero control of my tests or takeaways—other than limiting me to 1,000 games across every existing Xbox platform. While the program will eventually encompass every game that works on Xbox One consoles, the pre-release compatibility list is a bit more narrow. 1,000 is a big number, but it leaves some huge Xbox hits out of my testing.​

Back