Value of Consoles vs PC *spin off*

I didn't need to upgrade my aging quad core for a couple of years this gen. Technically, I now have an aging quad core again. To replace that with an 8 Core / 16 thread + new MB + memory is going to be at least £400 for today's products. Might be lower in a couple of years. It's still a hefty starting point before you get to a speedy SSD and new GFX card.
Sit on your wallet until something comes around that you simply cannot play acceptably on your current setup. Determine what you need at that point and buy it.
((*cough*) Or you could have followed Digital Foundrys’ recommendation a month back or so and bought a "future proof" Nvidia card. (*cough*))

The frustrating thing about being in my 40's is that I have loads more disposable income but my family keep disposing of it. :(
LOL, yeah, but then again you might have gained some perspective that saves you money as well. These things tend to even out.
I used to upgrade regularly simply because I liked to stay at, or close to the technological edge. But it ceased making sense long ago, the real world benefits keep getting less and less relevant, the price tags heavier, and the whole shebang gets ever harder to cool quietly, as too much of the performance increases are bought with increasing power draw. Realistically, I’m fine with the gaming PC I already got for the rest of this console generation, and an upgrade wouldn’t make "sense" until the next console generation again has exclusive titles that I just can’t resist playing. And that probably won’t be before 2030.

Spending money and time on your spouse and kids probably yields a better return on your investment anyway. ;-)

You forgot a big pc negative. Cheating.

XIM is the perfect cheat, ppl used it on bf4mp, its basically undetectale. On pc bf4 theres admins taking care of cheaters. I think cheating has decreased alot anyways.

This coming gen consoles seem less compelling then precious gens.

XIM is the perfect cheat, ppl used it on bf4mp, its basically undetectale. On pc bf4 theres admins taking care of cheaters. I think cheating has decreased alot anyways.

This coming gen consoles seem less compelling then precious gens.
Yes they ban cheaters all the time, the problem is that there are always more.

In discussions about PC and console gaming, people who plays games on PC are often conflated with PC tech enthusiasts. The groups are not mutually exclusive of course, but the tech enthusiasts who hang around internet forums isn’t particularly representative of game players in general.

Steams surveys describe the most avid PC gamers. The group that has steam accounts AND are active enough to be sampled.

And the hardware that these surveys show PC gamers using is very, very far from cutting edge. The average PC gamer uses dirt cheap hardware.

Last edited:
Yes they ban cheaters all the time, the problem is that there are always more.

Yes, problem is, XIM4 users usually never get banned, administred servers on console are very rare. I know for a fact people use XIM4, it's a hardware cheat that cant be detected. KB/M vs DS4.... yea fun.
I played 3500h BF4 MP since 2013, and i can say, yes there are cheaters from time to time, but ive got them banned before they even have a chance to drain a server. I have/had a team of admins for my servers to have things clean. Most servers have admins that know what their doing. Can't say that for the PS4 version.

Besides that, atleast for BF3/4 and BFV, your also stuck with twelve year olds that know not a single thing about teamplay or any serious voice chat. No, online mp experiences are on a whole other level on the PC. Also, online MP games tend to die rather fast compared to PC versions, example, BF2, BFBC2, BF3 and BF4 are still rather active on PC, the consoles versions are extinct.

So yes, cheaters, perhaps there are more of them on pc, but they are also managed much better. All in all online experiences are on another universe on pc. Yes i played BF MP PS4 myself. Also, PBSS has gotten much and much better, cheaters usually get caught by the system and streamed automatically to PB servers, this includes the hardware ban alongside origin/cd key ban.
If you play on servers where a cheater lasts longer then a couple of minutes, you should find better servers.

In discussions about PC and console gaming, people who plays games on PC are often conflated with PC tech enthusiasts. The groups are not mutually exclusive of course, but the tech enthusiasts who hang around internet forums isn’t particularly representative of game players in general.

Steams surveys describe the most avid PC gamers. The group that has steam accounts AND are active enough to be sampled.

And the hardware that these surveys show PC gamers using is very, very far from cutting edge. The average PC gamer uses dirt cheap hardware.

It's basically the same for consoles then, most will be stuck on 2013 hardware (PS4 and One s) or switch consoles. By the time PS5/XSX numbers reach a larger audience, PC's have also evolved for much users in hardware terms.

Wouldn't call PS5 hardware for example being 'cutting edge' in PC terms anno 2020/2021, aside from the SSD then.

It's still called iTunes on Windows PC. And it works great with Apple TV. I mean, why Microsoft cannot offer the same fuctionality for their Videos app?

I first encountered iTunes when I used Windows XP and bought a very early iPod and "works great" in relation with the Windows version was never my experience. I'm glad it sucks less, now! :LOL:

This new cycle is clearly going to encourage/force gamers to upgrade their PCs if they hadn't in the past few years. This past cycle was a lucky break. My i5-4690K will be doomed to pure irrelevancy quite fast. On the GPU side, Lockhart gives my RX 570 4 GB a chance to putter on for a while if I keep my expectations (and settings) in check.

I think the xbox 360 had the same effect back in the day.

However for a lot of gamers it will be time to upgrade soon. But of course you do get a lot of benefits if you do

If you buy movies or tv-shows on iTunes, you can download them on your PC. On the Apple TV there is an app called Computer. With Computer you can watch and listen everything, that is in the iTunes' Media Library. And this is great and works without pain in my ...

You have one of the golden unicorn ones! Preserve it immediately in Carbonite!
we actually have 2 golden unicorns. My little sister got equally lucky with hers. To be fair they were swapped out for the slim about what 4 years in or so and became media center extenders in the house and now are in a box with all my old consoles. But they still power on

sure, until you discover that you must add a 1TB SSD that costs 200€, then you realise that the console is more expensive than you expected.

Not to mention the prices of the games, usually lower on PC, which mitigates the differential cost.

My consoles sit idle or in the closet for the most part. I like to buy 'em when they are considered relatively unappealing, like a few years into a new generation, and come with a pile of the supposedly great exclusive games.

You forgot a big pc negative. Cheating.
you sure about that? Have you heard of a console device called Chronus Max? -BF1, CoD Warzone, every shooter out there-.

Also, Infinity Ward banned certain player who wins more than 10000$ a month 'cos he cheated on PS4 using an almost undetectable hack.

Back